How Long Will a Porsche Taycan Last? (14 Important Facts)

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was trying to determine the length of warranty on the Taycan high voltage battery. My warranty manual says 8 years or 80,000 miles, but I recalled a higher number of miles (maybe 100,000) from somewhere so I searched online. I came across the the article How Long will a Porsche Taycan Last? and found it quite interesting. (NOTE - I suggest you turn on your content blocker or plan on seeing lots of ads.)

The article says that the battery warranty is 8 years/100,000 miles, but my manual says 8 yrs/80,000. Do any of you know if Porsche has lengthened the battery warranty (my 4s is MY 2021 so maybe they changed it for 2022)?

The primary conclusion of the article relative to the battery is -- The Porsche Taycan should be able to last 300,000 – 400,000 miles with relatively little maintenance. In normal driving conditions, you can easily get 10 – 15 years of service out of the Taycan before needing to replace the battery.

The Table of Contents is pretty comprehensive (see below), and I think this forum was one of the resources the author used to backup his analysis. For the record, I also enjoyed the comparisons to other EVs.

Porsche Taycan How Long Will a Porsche Taycan Last? (14 Important Facts) EV Comparison Table

Table of Contents
Sponsored

OP
OP
snstevens

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Last edited:

notsofast

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, 2005 Cayenne Turbo, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It might depend on which state you buy it in. IIRC CA requires longer warranties on EV batteries than is standard from most vendors.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Interesting read. Not to nitpick too much, but Acura is Honda's Luxury Brand, Infiniti is Nissan's luxury brand, and both are rated higher so Porsche would be #4 behind Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti. However, only a couple of cars in each of the Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti brands are even close to the performance/cost of Porsche. Personally, I think that Porsche is in a different class altogether.

The mileage estimates don't seem to reflect real-world testing.

The ratings are from so few reviews that I wouldn't put too much emphasis on them.

Other than that it does seem to be a decent consolidation of information available on here and Rennlist.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
Hmmm…i read in several places it is federal law in the US:

Federal law requires automakers to ensure EV and hybrid batteries for at least eight years or 100,000 miles.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Kia EV9
If your dealer is telling you otherwise, might want to clue them in so they dont try to screw you over if something goes wrong in that 80k-100k point.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Although a bit vague, it does answer the question I had about how long will these cars last (generally) compared to an equivalent ICE car - say a Panamera.

The answer it seems is positive:
Common parts will be the same / motors etc will be a lot longer / battery probably longer than a car engine.

OP
OP
snstevens

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hmmm…i read in several places it is federal law in the US:

Federal law requires automakers to ensure EV and hybrid batteries for at least eight years or 100,000 miles.
You appear to be right!

Here is an article on the Kelly Blue Book site entitled Warranty Coverage for Hybrid and EV Batteries that says that US Law mandates 8 years / 100k, and that in CA it is 8 years / 150k.

OP
OP
snstevens

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
UPDATE - I found several articles that refer to the 8 years or 100,000 mile Federal requirement, but could not find the exact wording in any CFR regulation.

So I went back and forth with the Service Advisor (super nice by the way) and she provided me with the following service information from Porsche on my car --
Porsche Taycan How Long Will a Porsche Taycan Last? (14 Important Facts) Porsche Battery

The row circled in RED shows 130,000 Km, which is ~80,000 miles.

So I still wasn't completely satisfied and sent her an email saying I would keep looking for clarification, and then the Service Manager called me. He explained that the Federal Law requires EV manufacturers to warranty their batteries for either 100,000 OR 8 years, and they only need to meet one of those conditions, not both. He said that in the case of Porsche they opted for the 8 year option, but also limited the mileage over that timeframe to 80,000.

While I won't run up more than 80,000 miles in 8 years I can't help but wonder if an owner couldn't make the case that any failure in <8 years should be covered, independent of the mileage. Otherwise a manufacturer could offer a truly insufficient warranty like 8 years or 50,000 miles, and supposedly that would comply with the regulation.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Otherwise a manufacturer could offer a truly insufficient warranty like 8 years or 50,000 miles, and supposedly that would comply with the regulation.
8 years/5 miles

Sorry sir, your warranty was expired on delivery. 🤣

We do about 12,500 miles per year, so possibly relevant to me.

nikc

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo
Country flag
FWIW, the battery warranty in Switzerland is 8 years or 160,000km (MY22 CT4), which is close enough to 100K miles.
Sponsored