How many of you would still own the Taycan if it wasn’t better for the environment than a combustion car?

Porsche10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, 911
Country flag
For those of you who saw my last post, I’m debating on going EV with the taycan and just want to get some more insight. How many of y’all picked the taycan over it’s competitor because it’s more eco friendly? I understand that EV’s are more eco friendly but I don’t want that to be a deciding factor in which car I choose since I prefer fun over efficiency. I also just want to see how many people TRULY bought the taycan because it’s a better car, and not because they wanted to save the environment. There’s nothing wrong with picking a car for it being cleaner, but personally I could care less about the emissions my car makes (for better or worse) and want to make sure that the Taycan hype isn’t attributed to its emissions numbers being masked behind “it’s way better driving than ICE cars”.
Sponsored

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I definitely did NOT buy my Taycan with eco-friendly as a contributing factor to my decision. It was simply a benefit that came along with my buying decision. I bought mine for the design, performance and sheer enjoyment that I hoped for and expected when the Mission E was originally announced. I also thought it would be at the forefront of automobile EV technology. Unfortunately, the software fell below expectations as discussed throughout these forums. I ordered my car before any production cars were delivered and with just a hope and prayer. I bought it to replace my AMG daily driver. So on all other accounts, the Taycan exceeded my expectations. It is the most fun car I have ever owned and driven, and being eco-friendly is just an added benefit.

While there are certainly challenges buying a first generation Porsche EV, I knew that going in and am still exceedingly excited about my decision.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The reviews are generally unanimous about the Taycan - it is a great car to drive. Period.

It ain't just a great EV.
It ain't about saving the environment or the polar bears.

When I get in the car and drive it like a Porsche, or just enjoy a more leisurely drive, my feelings are "damn, this is a great car to drive".

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Eco friendly was not part of my decision to get the Taycan. I once owned a Range Rover Supercharged that got so much negative flak during the gas crisis (people literally stopped to yell at me for driving it). My response was to get a vanity plate with a tree hugger background that said 12 MPG on the plate. No one said another word after that.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It was part of my decision. And today, on my extremely rare trip into Boston, sitting in traffic on 93 and not burning a drop of gas, I felt good about it (not smug, just good). What I got with the Taycan was way more than I expected. It is, by far, the best vehicle I’ve ever owned and it’s how the entire package works together that’s the draw for me - the sum truly is greater than the whole of its parts. Yes, there’s tons of room for improvements, but getting the level of performance, handling, comfort, and all on electrons?! I’m in!

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
It would decrease the value for me but only slightly. If it weren’t better for the environment it would still be better for me in a number of ways. I’m tired of waiting in line or for an attendant to gas up (Oregon laws). Mechanical maintenance like oil changes and fuel pump replacements are a bother. I’ve had ignition module issues strand me on two separate cars. I‘m happy to bid all that goodbye. Then there’s the fact that it’s a Porsche.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I seriously contemplated a 911 but didn't think it was worth the money relative to the car I had previously. I decided to go for the Taycan due to its incredible torque plus the environmental benefits. In other words, it was the combination of performance plus environmental benefits that convinced me.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Most Taycan owners buy because it’s a great car that is also an EV that is good for the environment. If we prioritized good for the environment, we would have purchased a Tesla.

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
Definitely the most fun car to drive that I have ever owned. Some of that results from the hp and torque delivered by the electric motors. Beautiful styling on top of it. The environmental impact is nice but was not the primary decision factor for me.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've got two granddaughters, so "Yes" I think a lot about the environment, and I've been driving Lexus hybrids for years just to increase the mpg, but wanting to go all electric when I found the right vehicle.

I've been looking for years for a an EV that I would really love to drive. I test drove the Tesla but didn't like the fit and finish of the Model S, nor the gull-wing doors and class canopy roof of the Model X. I also considered the Audi and the I-Pace, but neither of them really appealed to me.

Then Porsche announced the Mission-E and when the Taycan came out I took a test drive - that was it. I have never had more fun driving a car - ever. This is not "just" transportation. This is an experience.

My hope is that by setting the bar so high with the Taycan, Porsche will inspire a new generation of EVs that will give me even more options. But who knows, I might be a Porsche owner from this point on... :cool:

Last edited:

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Most Taycan owners buy because it’s a great car that is also an EV that is good for the environment. If we prioritized good for the environment, we would have purchased a Tesla.
* Chevy Bolt, BMW i3 or Nissan Leaf. Any EV with a small battery pack is a whole lot better for the environment than a Tesla or Taycan. 4-5k pound curb weight to match ICE car ranges is still very inefficient transportation.

If you want to be green, ride your bike. The Taycan is an incredibly fast, luxurious, quiet, well-built car but we're not exactly saving the whales here lol

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
* Chevy Bolt, BMW i3 or Nissan Leaf. Any EV with a small battery pack is a whole lot better for the environment than a Tesla or Taycan. 4-5k pound curb weight to match ICE car ranges is still very inefficient transportation.

If you want to be green, ride your bike. The Taycan is an incredibly fast, luxurious, quiet, well-built car but we're not exactly saving the whales here lol
Exactly!!!

I would never buy an ICE again!

Taycan:

1. has always instant tourque
2. can charge over night at home without waiting at a stinking gas station
3. does not vibrate
4. does not stink
5. does not pollute the air inside mega city
10. better for the environment

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you truly want to save the environment you would drive whatever you own into the ground. The production/transportation/resource overall impact of buying/changing to a new car I’m sure is greater than keeping an older car.

So realistically we should all stop kidding ourselves and believing the marketing hype

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
100% my primary reason was the eco impact. I kinda work in the green sector, so I guess I have some personal motivation that others may not.

I like my "toy" cars but there was no EV that fitted the bill as "fast and fun" for me until the Taycan. I went half way with my last car (i8) which hooked me into my next car as an EV.

Eco friendly was not part of my decision to get the Taycan. I once owned a Range Rover Supercharged that got so much negative flak during the gas crisis (people literally stopped to yell at me for driving it). My response was to get a vanity plate with a tree hugger background that said 12 MPG on the plate. No one said another word after that.
You were proud of your negative impact? Weird. At least you've seen the light now :)

If you truly want to save the environment you would drive whatever you own into the ground. The production/transportation/resource overall impact of buying/changing to a new car I’m sure is greater than keeping an older car.

So realistically we should all stop kidding ourselves and believing the marketing hype
Disagree. I sold my last car to someone else, so it lives on! If we don't upgrade to EVs then everyone will continue to pollute, it's not marketing hype. There are higher impact things we can do however, such as go completely car free (or have less kids, too late for me on that one!):

Porsche Taycan How many of you would still own the Taycan if it wasn’t better for the environment than a combustion car? Screenshot 2020-10-21 at 09.12.49