WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
So for example at 9:53, might that suggest that once Torque (orange line) peaks, motor power (purple line) is regulated with rpm to counter increasing ?friction? (green line) and so maintain a constant power at the wheels (blue line)?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
At least there's more power than Porsche states (not really a surprise but still, it's a lot more).
Looking at the graph at 9:53, isn't that indicating peak 725ps versus Porsche's stated 761? Sorry I don't understand German, I guess the answer is in the narration :blush:

Bigben

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover L405 4.4L SDV8, VW T-ROC R, Yamaha FZ8
Country flag
I know all this, I am an engineer who worked in Formula 1 for over 30 years.

Power is what actually does the work and, yes, it is calculated from torque and speed.

Two hypothetical engines, one with twice the torque but at half the rpm as the other have the same power, and, geared to do the same speed, the thrust at the tyre is the same for both because it is power, not torque that counts.

One of my old friends was technical director of the Ferrari F1 team. If an engineer came for a job interview his first question was always “which is important torque or power?” If the candidate answered torque the interview went no further.

It is a common mistake made by non-engineers and a disappointing number of people who think of themselves as engineers.
Jeremy Clarkson would be so proud of you!

Poweeeeeeeeeeeer!

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Agreed, power is what really drives a car. Higher torque vehicles are great, because it usually means it generates more power (assuming similar peak HP) at lower RPMs, where most people drive

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
No, it's 761HP with LC, normal is 625HP (like the Taycan Turbo).
They test without LC (you can't actually test LC on a dyno).
So it's 725ps to the wheels without launch control?

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The gearbox of the taycy has a short planetary first gear (15.5:1) providing maximum acceleration, and a long-ratio second gear (8.05:1) delivering top speed and efficiency.
Can you guess the actual torque at the wheels?
Isn't it 657 ft-lbs?

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I assume you want overboost ALL THE TIME!
And on that I'm already have contact with a car turner here in the Netherlands to deactivate the 2,5 second limit of the full power.
You're a mad man.
Is there a reason Porsche has an over boost instead of that full power always being available? I assume it's due to longevity?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I worked for several teams starting with Hesketh racing in the mid-1970s and spent longest at Williams, there were 23 of us when I joined.
I see you are from the Netherlands. I was chief engineer at Benetton when Jos Verstappen was Michael Schumacher’s team mate and have known him and Sophie since before Max was born.

I have teased Jos that Max is really Belgian since he was born in Belgium and his mother is Belgian. 😁
He doesn’t think it is a funny as I do.
I am happy to take Frank's word on any of the technical gubbins on here.

You can have the assistants post Dee. 😁

If anyone needs any advice on boxing technique or rare soul music on here.....I would like to be considered as the go to bod on that front 🤣

Last edited:

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The first thing you need is rpm to generate torque (torque = force x radius -> power x rpm).
NO. RPM does not generate torque. There is a bit of confusion going on here.

Power is related to Torque by the equation HorsePower = Torque * RPM/5252

If you have two out of the three variables you can find the other. That is the relationship of torque to power, but that is NOT what torque is.

Torque is a force acting through a distance. Torque = Radius * Force Do you see anywhere where the term RPM appears in the equation?

It isn’t the power that maintains the torque it is the torque being maintained at high rpm which gives a lot of power :)
Was exactly right.

If you would like references from physics or mechanical engineering they are readily available.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Ok, here's one for you: what dimension is horsepower in this equation?
I don’t understand what this question is asking.

Separately, I’m pretty sure it’s torque that creates the RPM here and not the other way around. The rotation exists because torque was applied.

I was going to (jokingly) reply earlier that you’re all wrong and it’s energy and load that matter, because you can’t have power without energy and you can’t have torque without a load to apply it to. 😜

But, the reality is, it’s the system as a whole that matters. Not power or torque individually.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Ok, here's one for you: what dimension is horsepower in this equation?
Do you mean this?

From Wikipedia

1 hp≡ 33,000 ft·lbf/minby definition
= 550 ft⋅lbf/ssince1 min = 60 s
= 550 × 0.3048 × 0.45359237 m⋅kgf/ssince1 ft ≡ 0.3048 m and 1 lb ≡ 0.45359237 kg
= 76.0402249 kgf⋅m/s
= 76.0402249 × 9.80665 kg⋅m2/s3sinceg = 9.80665 m/s2
≈ 745.700 Wsince1 W ≡ 1 J/s = 1 N⋅m/s = 1 (kg⋅m/s2)⋅(m/s)
Or given that 1 hp = 550 ft⋅lbf/s, 1 ft = 0.3048 m, 1 lbf ≈ 4.448 N, 1 J = 1 N⋅m, 1 W = 1 J/s: 1 hp ≈ 746 W

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
I was chief engineer at Benetton when Jos Verstappen was Michael Schumacher’s team mate and have known him and Sophie since before Max was born.
Amazing to hear from someone who was in the thick of that season - arguably changed F1 like no other.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I worked for several teams starting with Hesketh racing in the mid-1970s and spent longest at Williams, there were 23 of us when I joined.
I see you are from the Netherlands. I was chief engineer at Benetton when Jos Verstappen was Michael Schumacher’s team mate and have known him and Sophie since before Max was born.

I have teased Jos that Max is really Belgian since he was born in Belgium and his mother is Belgian. 😁
He doesn’t think it is a funny as I do.
Actually, three of the current F1 drivers have a Belgian mother: Max Verstappen, Lando Norris, and Lance Stroll.
Sponsored