How practical is Taycan as a daily driver for people in their 60s?

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have tried the luggage thing. It will only hold 1 large suitcase in your size range plus a smaller one.

The problem may not be with the parents entering and exiting when they are used to it, but with their passengers. Anyone who has ever gotten into my car for the first few times always comments on the difficulty as the car is so low to the ground.
Sponsored

TT459S

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Targa 4, 2023 Macan S
Country flag
Very practical indeed - I'm in my sixties, 6'1, drive it daily, short and long distances, and still love it - I have my golfset and folded push cart in the boot without folding the rear seat, and still room for duffelbag or other smaller items.
If you drive with 4 adults and 2 suitcases daily, I think it becomes more of a taxi ;) which the Taycan is perfectly capable of!
I would recommend the CT though for easier trunk access and hence limit the chance of scratches and dents (to your Taycan), and order the 2+1 seat option so you can fold half (40%) the rear seat and still have 2 seats (-ish). Alternatively mount a roof box when you do have to do airport pickups.
By the way, I think the Taycan was promoted of having a similar seating position to a 911 and it requires some elbow work for me to get out.
Good luck with the choice!

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Many thanks for the reply steen. Agree, I would personally also choose CT due to its roomier space and practicality but my parents prefer the sedan look of the standard Taycan. CT also costs a bit more. :)
CT is actually a better value for the money. You get the larger battery, air suspension, and all wheel drive included as standard. Not to mention the added practicality, specifically for your parents needs since it will have more storage and sits a bit higher.

The battery and suspension are probably the top 2 options most here would say are must have, so if you throw those on a RWD, the price comes very close to the cost of the CT, and you basically end up getting the AWD for free.

Reactions: B61

Jagu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 4S
Country flag
Can they wait for the all electric Macan coming out in two years? That will be a more suitable car for them.

Bluebeauty

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi fellow Taycan owners and the Porsche family,

Greetings from Taiwan.
My parents in their 60s would like to join the Taycan family.

Before going to the local dealership they'd like to get some rough ideas from other Taycan owners whether Taycan is the right fit for their lifestyle.

Could you share your experience with the following three questions:

1. Is the rear trunk/boot big enough for two large suitcases (28-32"/78-81cm)?

I have read this thread but the luggage appears to be one large and one medium only.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...arge-check-in-luggage-bags-in-the-trunk.4864/

2. Is it difficult for my parents to get in and out of the cars? Coming from a Mercedes sedan driving position, they are worried that Taycan's seat might be too low for their liking. I understand that there is the 14 way seat option that they could potentially opt in.

3. Are Taycans really too wide for standard supermarket parking bays and narrow city alleys?

Here's an image I found on the internet.
Screenshot_20211017-104811~2.png

We would be really grateful if you could shed some light on these questions. Hopefully this post could benefit other prospective Taycan owners in the future. :)

Thank you.
Greetings from Canada - I’m 6’2” and in my early sixties. Have found no problems with ingress and egress, although it did take a bit of getting used to after driving a Cayenne for six years. My Taycan 4S is a daily driver and it makes me giddy every time I get behind the wheel. Like some other posters have said, I tend to park well away from other vehicles, preferably in a spot with a wall on one side, in order to minimize the risk of carelessness on the part of other drivers who prove every day how low the bar is for getting and keeping a licence.. but that’s for another thread. It does fit just fine in the standard parking stall size for North America. I can stow a couple of golf bags in the trunk. When the clubs are in storage, I can fit two medium/large suitcases back there. The frunk will take a travel-size rollaway bag, the kind that fits in the bins above airline seats. The back seat of my 4S is not a happy place for adults on any trip longer than five minutes. Can’t speak to the Taycan CT but other posters have said there is more room in the back seat and trunk, which would make sense given its roofline. Maybe your local dealer will let you demo one for 24-48 hours as mine did, in order to get to know the car doing the things you and your parents would ordinarily do in that timeframe, including charging it. That might help your parents make an informed decision. Good luck!

sascha

First Name
Sascha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 235i Convertible, Audi A7
Country flag
One thing nobody here mentioned: You can order the remote parking option since model year 22. Currently only works for IPhones and you should check if it's available in Taiwan, at least in Germany it is. In theory they could get out of the car easily and then let it roll into the narrow parking position with their phone.

Have not yet had the chance to test it in the real world though.

kruzmisl

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S. 2019 Cayenne E-Hy.
Country flag
Many thanks for the reply schad. A very good tip indeed.
I think again the challenge would be getting in and out in a parking spot where you can't really open the door wide enough.
I'm 75. I don't have a problem getting in. I do it the way mentioned. getting out I turn completely left, put my feet down, and use my left elbow on the pillar to push out and up, with my right hand on the arm rest. Basically, I LOVE getting in. I HATE getting out. I just want to keep driving!!!!!

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Instead of facing forward when getting in and out of the car, face away from the car. This way you are basically sitting straight down or standing straight up. You only have to bend at your hips, so especially if you have a bad back, this is the best way to get in and out of a car -- any car, not just the Taycan.

It may still be a challenge for older folks with stiff joints, poor strength, and poor balance. But my 74-year old mother -- who has all three of those problems -- has an easier time getting in and out of my Taycan than she ever did my old 550i.

Yes, surround view makes parking so easy it's basically cheating.

But -- The method I described above honestly only works if the door is open all the way, or nearly all the way. If you can only open it enough to fit your body through, OP's parents are going to have a bad time getting in and out. That is where the Taycan's girth becomes a real problem.
I agree with all the points in this post.

Let me add that the height position of the seat makes a difference to entry/exit. If you put the seat up higher, then when you twist yourself and put both feet on the ground, the stand-up action is a bit easier. The great headroom afforded by the Panorama Roof makes this a non issue for taller people (I'm over 6 ft). I also put a lambskin seat pad on the front seats, and that adds to the overall comfort.

I'm older than your parents, and find the car very easy to get into and exit. I also want to agree with all the other posts that the car is such a kick to drive that your parents would love it.

RichJ

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2015 BMW228ix, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
I also agree with the responses to this post. I find it easy to get into and out of the Taycan driver's seat after the first few days of practice.
My question is: what is the average age of a Taycan purchaser/driver?
I tried to google this and came up with an article from a few years ago that said the average 911 driver was 52 years old.
Can one of the Forum contributors who do the polls post a thread to ask about the age of us Taycan owners. (I am 65)

RichJ

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2015 BMW228ix, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag

Fun TC Driving

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 C8 Z06, 2024 iX M60
Country flag
Re getting in and out, am I correct that the shape of the Taycan’s “B” pillar and its front door size is identical whether a “sedan” version or a Cross Turismo. Tomorrow is trying out day for my wife and me (both in our 70’s).

TU.

Fun TC Driving

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 C8 Z06, 2024 iX M60
Country flag
Thank you. We are excited and hope for the best tomorrow. We get in and out our C8 Z06 but that is an “occasion” vehicle whereas we are wanting the Taycan to become our daily driver replacing our current EV SUV. Thanks again.

Fun TC Driving

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 C8 Z06, 2024 iX M60
Country flag
All went super nicely for my wife (with bad arthritis and a really bad right elbow), her easily getting in and out right away (without the car’s lift setting being used to raise it though we did put her seat up to max height) before testing it.

She found the 18 way bolsters more an impediment of course than the smaller 14 way ones , but even on the 18’s got out nicely — and she’s 76.

Thanks all.
Sponsored