First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
Hi all,

Last few months I did lots of trips with my navigation (PCM) active. I noticed something odd. My previous vehicles (non Porsches) were kind of smart in finding the fastest way to arrive. When possible they avoided traffic jams. With my Taycan I experience the opposite. It calculates pretty well how long the traffic jam is, and still routes me straight through it. Costing me a lot of time everytime. I did look through the settings, but I can't find anything related to avoiding traffic jams. What am I doing wrong, or is it just how it is? I do see the symbols in my PCM that the car knows current traffic data, and I also see it is well connected to 4g.

Another question related to the navigation. Sometimes I'm stubborn and take another route myself because I know there is a traffic jam. I'm not only arriving earlier because I'm avoiding the traffic jams, but also with more battery left. It makes me wondering, shouldn't there be an option in the navigation for "Most efficient route" as well?

I'm aware I can use other routing apps through Apple Carplay, but I really don't want to. I love PCM over Carplay, and love my HUD with directions info too much as well.

Jasper
Sponsored

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Waze 101% The nice man or lady also warns you about lots of things that drivers of fast cars may inadvertently forget.

Probably because i don't really use it (and haven't tried to) due to waze, but i find the PCM satnav extremely confusing and hard to navigate. Especially with chargers etc. The graphics do look a bit more grown up than waze.

Novemberwhisky

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST Crayon.
Country flag
I’ve found that you can have Waze running in the background with no route guidance active and it will give the alerts to the various roadside ‘hazards’ 🥸 I think you have to make sure the Waze app is running though. Can then still use Porsche navigation if desired and recieve the Waze alerts.

OP
OP
Jasper4S

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
Thank you all for taking the time to help me! I'm not looking for something like Waze or anything else in Carplay.

I just want to check why my Porsche is so dumb in getting me in traffic jams all the time. And why if I'm stubborn and take another route I have more battery left at the destination than with Porsche's route. Am I missing something obvious? Or is this were the upsell to Porsches Intelligent Range Managers as FOD comes into play?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I have opposite problem. PCM Navigation is often suggesting I take extremely narrow rural roads to get around a traffic jam that is not pleasant driving with a car as wide as the Taycan.

I spend my time ignoring its suggestions!

OP
OP
Jasper4S

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
I have opposite problem. PCM Navigation is often suggesting I take extremely narrow rural roads to get around a traffic jam that is not pleasant driving with a car as wide as the Taycan.

I spend my time ignoring its suggestions!
Do you have the Intelligent Range Manager?

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
Yes I have intelligent range manager and it also directs me right into traffic every time. Very annoying as I like using the standard system for battery pre condition and the instrument cluster map.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
How can you be sure "your way" is or would ha e been quicker?

Focus of much debate in our car this weekend 😂

cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4. 21" summers, 20" winters.
Country flag
The PCM-navigation seems to do a pretty good job of routing me around traffic jams and incidents. My local area is not really congested but during road trips, I'm pretty confident that it makes good choices. Had a three week long road trip around Europe in july 2022 and navigation guided me onto B-roads when Autobahn in Germany had incidents.

Happy with how the PCM performs and I also prefer it to Waze or other apps. In fact, I don't use CarPlay at all in the Taycan.

No Intelligent Range Manager installed.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I find all sat-nav systems don’t have what I call “sensible route any normal bloke would choose” as an option.

Most only have fastest, which is often much further to keep on motorways, and shortest which takes you down slow.narrow farm tracks with grass growing up the middle to save 500 yards.

The nearest i have had to good route solutions is the “ecological route” in our Prius which is also always much quicker than the sat-nav expects, perhaps because it assumes all back roads are slow, whilst the quick route timing is usually close presumably because motorway speed is easy to get right.

Having written that I the first time I used the PCM nav it did try to route me around a major traffic jam, but I ignored it and shouldn’t have.

I try to avoid travelling when traffic may be heavy now I have retired and often plan routes on a paper map first then adjust the sat-nav to follow it…

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
I have very mixed results from the traffic jam avoidance of the PCM. I have no idea what algorithm they use to determine how much a delay should be tolerated before an alternative will be used.

During 3 long European trips last year, we have experienced a lot of different results from the nav system.

i) No warning at all even when stuck in the middle of a massive traffic jam, not seeing anything.
ii) An advise that the traffic jam will be 45 minutes + but only once we were in it Not before
iii) diverted us from the highway through small Italian towns at Friday evening rush hour!
iv) being advised to divert because one lane plus a rest area, was closed for resurfacing, not at all the main motorway.

In the case of the diversion, iii) above, there was horrendous traffic, and once we were back on the motorway, it took about 45 minutes at motorway speeds to catch up to a Heavy duty transport that we had passed just prior to the diversion. So not correct decision at the time

I want the system in the car to work since that will give me preheat of the battery plus info in the instrument cluster. I do not unfortunately have HUD. And I certainly do not have that PIRM.

I since then, run a separate phone with Waze or Google maps to double check routes or traffic warnings. Not through CarPlay etc. That way I feel I can make a more informed decision.

I have tried all combinations as others have been successful in running both the PCM navigator plus Waze on the main screen, but never succeeded.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
I have tried all combinations as others have been successful in running both the PCM navigator plus Waze on the main screen, but never succeeded.
This won't put PCM navigation and Waze in the center screen but see if this might work for you. Enter your destination in the PCM and put the navigation on the center tunnel in the instrument cluster. Then open Waze (on Carplay for me) and the Waze navigation will show up in the center/main display. I just got this to work today in the driveway and have not road tested this setup but both navigation systems seemed to be fully functional. HUD even showed navigation directions. The whole thing could crash as soon as I start moving or cell reception drops out but it looked promising.

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
I had to drive through France last Thursday, when farmers were blocking half of the highways.
PCM Navigation kept telling me the road is blocked, but it's advisable to stay on the highway... (don't remember the exact wording). So it knew, but didn't want to propose another route. While Waze and Google Maps were suggesting to exit / enter highway accurately.
Sponsored