ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'll quibble with you on this - when I'm traveling waiting 90 minutes vs. 40 minutes is a significant amount of time - especially since the first 1/2 hour is easy to kill with other activities, but once you've walked around, gone to the bath room and gotten your snack - that next 30-45 min of simply waiting for charge is excruciating…lets take a normal 75 kWh charge session (about 10-90%)

75 kWh @ 140 kW = .53 hours - or 32 minutes
75 kWh @ 45 kW = 1.67 hours - or 100 minutes

personally given my personality that extra 68 min I'd be thinking the whole time "I saved $460 for this?"

but I understand it's a personal decision - but man that extra hour would grate on me "hard" - but then again I'm nuts.
You find the 150kW 400v charger in the area Dave and we can go test this out for 10min 😁

It's certainly a decision each owner should make, I was just giving my logic. I hope to get to Yellowstone National Park this year, but still plenty of EA chargers along the way. We'll see if I find the need.
BTW not that I want to do it regularly, but even Porsche recommens using 50kW of less fast chargers if using them regularly and not just for road trips. So if I did get "stuck" at one I could write it off as being nice to my battery. ;)

Advertisement

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla(s), 911 GT3, Boxster S, Bolt, Taycan, Cayenn
Country flag
@ron_b that could be fun - we should do it for science!!

I’ve found some 80 kW and 100 kW EVGo chargers in the bay area - I’m wondering if they are 800V or 400V chargers - we should show up with our Taycan’s at a lower SOC and we can try charging at them!!

I really really want people to understand it’s a personal choice this 400V/150kW DC charger option - and even the most ardent supporters should be willing to admit the likely hood of it ever being used is very very low - well at least I do.

kort

Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
FYI I bought the tesla adaptor that allow you to use their l2 chargers. it sounds like a no brainer to have this because it vastly expands your ability to find a charge

mc9er

Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
FYI I bought the tesla adaptor that allow you to use their l2 chargers. it sounds like a no brainer to have this because it vastly expands your ability to find a charge
I plan on doing the same! Small cost of insurance is how I see it. Tesla Tap? Or what did you end up getting?

OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I plan on doing the same! Small cost of insurance is how I see it. Tesla Tap? Or what did you end up getting?
This is the one I bought and it's the only charging adapter I keep in the frunk.

Screenshot_20210211-180346.png

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07V7V2QT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_MRRPQQSPCRAGYR49NXE2

I will state that it is a 40 amp rated and the ticon can pull up to 48 amps. The cables are very large and I'm not really concerned that it would fail but I leave that decision to each purchaser. I have had it charged at 48 amps without issue.

mc9er

Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
This is the one I bought and it's the only charging adapter I keep in the frunk.

Screenshot_20210211-180346.png

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07V7V2QT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_MRRPQQSPCRAGYR49NXE2

I will state that it is a 40 amp rated and the ticon can pull up to 48 amps. The cables are very large and I'm not really concerned that it would fail but I leave that decision to each purchaser. I have had it charged at 48 amps without issue.
I recently saw this as well - it’s a “mini” version... pretty new I believe? Seems nice and compact for a trunk. I’m sure they are all fine and do the trick

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=146

OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I bought the tesla tap mini 60 amp unit
Good choice.
I probably would have done the same if it were available 6mo ago when I purchased my adapter. The $100 more in price can be justified in space savings and the more secure amp rating.

2big2fioul

First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Vehicles
porsche taycan turbo; fiat 500e
Country flag
us DC charger is 50Hz or 60Hz ?

Advertisement

ZYRUS

Advertisement