ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was hesitating to create a new thread for this but I think it may be of interest to a lot of folks that do road trips with the vehicle. And I think it is an excellent road tripping vehicle as well.

Note that the Taycan has a 11kW onboard charger and can optionally get a 22kW/19.2kW on 2021 models. So at least get the 50A version to be compliant or the 80A version if you opted for the larger onboard charger. I actually have the 40A rated Lectron unit and the cabling looks quite beefy so I do not expect any issues running it at 48 amps but I wouldn't recommend that to other folks. :cool:

Note that this applies to USA and UK as in Europe Tesla uses a different standard plug (not J-1772 nor the proprietary 2 pin Tesla plug) and no adapter is needed.
How To Charge Your EV On A Tesla Charging Station
Tom Moloughney
Sponsored

Reactions: dan
OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Just to add to your video/experiences/data above:

Back in 2012 we got my wife a Nissan Leaf. At the time we installed an AC charger at home (32A since that was all that the car could handle). Two years later I got a Tesla Model S, and was able to use the $99 J1772 adapter that came with the car to charge at home. That worked fine, but when my wife's Leaf lease ended, she got a Tesla, too.

Suddenly it seemed silly for us to both be using an adapter, so we sold the EVSE we had for a Tesla HPWC. This allowed both of us to charge w/o any adapters. Then a year or two later, I ended. up with a different EV (non-Tesla) and now needed an adapter to go the other way. Enter your "thread" here --

What I Purchased was this:
https://amzn.to/3pbEKId

Since our home was setup for 40A max, this was ample. As you noted, there are 50A and 80A units (adapters) that are more expensive, but might be useful.. I'd argue if you are already spending the money, get the one that matches your needs/max budget to make it future proof. To date, the TeslaTap we have has now been used across various cars I've owned (BMW i3, Audi eTron SUV, Porsche Taycan, etc) (yes I've owned a LOT of cars). But this has been great since we have a Tesla charger at home, but I can charge my non-Tesla there (and "in the wild" at AC charging Tesla hotels/destination chargers). Def worth the price of admission!

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Note that the Taycan has a 11kW onboard charger and can optionally get a 22kW/19.2kW on 2021 models. So at least get the 50A version to be compliant or the 80A version if you opted for the larger onboard charger. I actually have the 40A rated Lectron unit and the cabling looks quite beefy so I do not expect any issues running it at 48 amps but I wouldn't recommend that to other folks. :cool:
I have the 80A TeslaTap for occasional use and in case I encounter a handy Tesla Destination Charger. I've already used it with a friend's 80a Tesla Wall Charger and the car charged at 10.64kW when I spot checked, so 11kW charging is confirmed for MY2020 cars in the US too.

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
Also I wanted to mention one of the interesting things I saw in the video is that the end where he talks about a new model from Tesla tap that they do charge a premium for but is quite tiny to keep in the vehicle.

Screenshot_20210119-033550.png

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=146
Would you recommend to get the Tesla tap Mini 40 AMP or 60AMP if it is intended to be use occasionally at Tesla Destination chargers (i.e. Ski resorts, hotels and such) ?
Is there a risk to use the 40 amp while the tesla charger at destination is more potent ?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
better safe than sorry - the Taycan WILL charge at 48 amps (60 amp breaker) if presented with a 48 amp EVSE (Tesla or Otherwise) - the amp ratings are about heat management - which means if you are charging at 48 amps on a 40 amp rated “thing” - it might heat up and in extreme cases melt/short/catch-fire…

since you really don’t know I believe it’s best to have the “thing” able to handle 48 amps or more - if it fails it won’t fail gracefully if it’s “under specification”
Sponsored