johnschlemmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Does anyone have an updated tutorial on how to operate the free charging with EA chargers? I have this green app icon I would go into called Charging NA, but now when I open it every time I get a full screen warning saying it’ll be discontinued and I need to use the My Porsche app for charging needs… but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to activate an EA charger with the My Porsche app. Am I missing something? Why does Porsche make this so hard - why can’t I just use the official Electrify America app like I do with my BMW iX?
Sponsored

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
In the U.S. for EA just plug in the charger and it'll start charging. No app required, it really couldn't be easier (it could however be a bit faster).

A few things to remember:
1) Ensure plug and charge is checked in the PCM under vehicle settings. (Caveat: This feature is on 2021 & 2022 Taycans only. 2020 requires an upgrade $$$.)
2) After plugging in the EA charger it'll take about 90-120 seconds to communicate with the vehicle and begin charging.

The previous advice was good regarding apps. Delete Porsche Connect (that's the old app and is being phased out). Use my Porsche for all other needs. The EA app is not necessary.

OP
OP

johnschlemmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Hmm, how do you access that second screen showing the charger info? When I tap the charging station in My Porsche it doesn’t do anything... gah this app is frustrating.

OP
OP

johnschlemmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
In the U.S. for EA just plug in the charger and it'll start charging. No app required, it really couldn't be easier (it could however be a bit faster).

1) Ensure plug and charge is checked in the PCM under vehicle settings. (Caveat: This feature is on 2021 & 2022 Taycans only. 2020 requires an upgrade $$$.)
2) After plugging in the EA charger it'll take about 90-120 seconds to communicate with the vehicle and begin charging.

The previous advice was good regarding apps. Delete Porsche Connect (that's the old app and is being phased out). Use my Porsche for all other needs. The EA app is not necessary.
Oh I didn’t realize this - so wait, do I need to add my car to my Electrify America account to allow plug and charge? I have this enabled in PCM but it didn’t start charging. I’m afraid to add it to my EA account because it won’t detect my 2 years of free charging, as that’s done through the Porsche app.

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
I didn't have to do anything. I showed up at my first charger 3 hours after purchase, plugged in, and it worked. Perhaps you were unlucky and plugged into an inoperative charger? I never have to push any buttons on the EA screen either. Plug in. Charge (after 90-120 seconds of waiting). Done. It may show that it is costing you money on the EA screen, but you shouldn't get charged when the session completes.

I didn't have an EA account prior to buying the Taycan, and I still do not.

I think the way it works is that the Taycan's VIN is logged with EA and it correlates that the charge session will be free. That said, there's a chance you've got too much going on with multiple apps and an EA account, and now the system is confused.

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
Perhaps a better way of saying what I just wrote is: Taycan to EA handshake is setup without requiring you to do anything with EA.

You simply need a my Porsche account. With a credit card on file. The credit card allows EA to charge you when you exceed the 30 minute limit.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does anyone have an updated tutorial on how to operate the free charging with EA chargers? I have this green app icon I would go into called Charging NA, but now when I open it every time I get a full screen warning saying it’ll be discontinued and I need to use the My Porsche app for charging needs… but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to activate an EA charger with the My Porsche app. Am I missing something? Why does Porsche make this so hard - why can’t I just use the official Electrify America app like I do with my BMW iX?
This video spells it out nicely:

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag

This advice is correct and all you need.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A. If you enable Plug and Charge in PCM, all you do is park at EA station, plug the cable into car, and it should start charging in a minute or two.
Or,
B. you can use MyPorsche app to activate charging.

(Note on my phone, app is slow, so after selecting an item, wait a bit for response.)

Steps on Android phone:
1. Open MyPorsche app.
2. Find “Map” at bottom of screen and press on it to display map.
3. Once map appears, press on the charging station symbol/icon below the map. (Located below “search for destination”)
4. Move map around to location surrounding a charging site. Station symbol like “350kw” in a box will appear designating a charging station location.
5. Press on the “350kw” box. It will bring up the printed name of the station under the map. (Appears right above “send destination to vehicle” message.)
6. Press on the station name.
7. Once station info appears, scroll down to "Choose plug type". Scroll down the listing of plug types. Press on a plug type.
8. Should show a listing of individual charging stations.
9. Press on a specific charging station.
10. Station selected brings up “Charge and Pay” button. Press it to enable charging on that station.

Although EA advises plug in first, you can activate on the app first, then plug in.

Last edited:

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hmm, how do you access that second screen showing the charger info? When I tap the charging station in My Porsche it doesn’t do anything... gah this app is frustrating.
The charging progress screen is accessed by pressing the right hand "continue" button below the charger display. It can take a while before the charging progress screen becomes active after pressing the button. The progress screen use to display immediately after pressing the continue button but now takes a minute or so.
After a few times all this will be "old hat" so to speak.

Viola

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I keep getting “payment declined” messages. What could be the issue? EA and Porsche are both trying to figure it out.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I keep getting “payment declined” messages. What could be the issue? EA and Porsche are both trying to figure it out.
In your MyPorsche app, for your Taycan, look at My Connect Services. Check to see that Porsche Charging Service is shown as active - with an unexpired contract term.

Edited to add: If EA station is indicating "payment declined" and you have Porsche Charging Service active, it could be a problem with that particular EA station or site. Try more than one EA site.

Last edited:

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
@johnschlemmer , ensure your phone's location is enabled if you need to use the My Porsche app when charging at EA. I had to do this once. The other dozen or so times I charged at EA I didn't need the app.

Viola

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In your MyPorsche app, for your Taycan, look at My Connect Services. Check to see that Porsche Charging Service is shown as active - with an unexpired contract term.

Edited to add: If EA station is indicating "payment declined" and you have Porsche Charging Service active, it could be a problem with that particular EA station or site. Try more than one EA site.
Thanks! Its active and plug & charge is selected. They had me on a conference call and said it had to be a server error that wasn’t recognizing the Porsche plan as payment.
Sponsored