ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
How funny I just discovered this tonight as well before watching this video and I was going to make a video showing the process but I can see that this tutorial is quite complete. I had put my USB stick in my car when I first purchased it but had not noticed that videos option until this evening and then I found the rectangle to swap it to the screen and by the way it also works on the passenger screen. Note that the video will stop playing once the car is in motion on either screen. I did test that this evening as well.
Also I had a music video in iTunes and added it to a playlist but when I try to access that from the Taycan Apple Music app it does not show that media file.
Fyi you can use some web sites like flvto.biz to convert YouTube videos into MP4 format. I will warn you that these websites can be very spammy while you're on them I have seen no lasting problems with it, just don't download anything other than the MP4. Also many of them have video link limits.
This may be a useful feature to pass some time while sitting at the charger.

Adfcarvalho

First Name
Adolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 cayman
Country flag
Thank you for this great video, but think instead of using an ssd drive, you can also use the phone storage

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
FYI: a good source of MP4s is from TED Talks at https://www.ted.com/talks
Many of them allow download as mp4 with or without subtitles.
Open a talk. upper right see the Share Icon, press it and you often see a "Download" option next to the Embed option in the window that pops up.
I will test the playing from my a USB connected phone, I am pretty sure it works from an Android as it attaches them as USB Storage, not so sure on an iPhone as it default connects as CarPlay.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Cool. But isn’t it supposed to be Thai con? Not Thai can. Regardless, personally, I say tay can. I am bad.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
EDIT 12.02.2021: Leaving this post up, but new values can be found here: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...eos-in-the-taycans-pcm-screen.3468/post-48647

Time to get a Samsung T5 and convert some Grand Tour and F&F. :)

I took a photo of the screen and tried to calculate the aspect ratio. I seem to have landed on around 64:25, so 1080p would be 1920x750, and 720p would be 1280x500. This is, however, not the resolution of the screen. Can't be assed to count pixels at the moment. Perhaps someone with some spec sheets could chime in and also help us get the pixel perfect ratio.

It's 6am and I've yet to sleep. No way am I going out in -10 to verify if I'm missing a few pixels or whatnot.

Now, cropping movies that are 16:9 down to this would be heresy and I'd advise only doing so on movies running any form of ultra wide aspect ratio (2.39:1, 1.66 etc etc). A 1080p ultrawide would be about 1920x800, so taking off 25px at the top and bottom would be acceptable.

If using Handbrake I'd advise just sticking to the Fast 1080p30 preset and doing the following:

Under Summary:
* Check "Web Optimized"

Under Dimensions (if cropping) See edit at the top
* Set "Height" to 750
* "Cropping" to Custom
* Top to 164, Bottom to 166. EDIT: These are kind of dependent on your video. You want PAR to be 1x1. My values come from a 1920x800 resolution movie that has the black bars baked in so it's detected as 1080 while actually being 800. So 1080 - 750 = 330. 164 + 166 = 330. :)

Under Video:
* Set "Framerate" to videos framerate (if VLC: Tools -> Media Information -> Codec tab, under "Stream 0" find "Frame rate".
* Set to Constant Framerate.
* You can change from "Constant Quality" to a variable bitrate if you'd like to save some space. I'd say an average of anywhere between 5000 - 8000 for 1080p would be decent enough since this isn't, well, a movie theater experience. Just be sure your USB can actually be READ this "fast". Many drives can be very slow.
PS: Write doesn't matter (though transferring TO the drive will be annoying at low speeds.)
* There's no need to change Encoder Preset to anything higher than Fast. The screens are too small, and we sit too far away. If you have a good enough CPU and extra patience you can set it to Medium. Your choice.

Under Audio:
* No clue if the various sound systems supports REAL surround or if they're always set up as all-channel stereo, but the car will play audio with the mixdown "5.1 Surround" at the bottom. Yet to try "Dolby Surround". Again, 6am as I'm typing this. ?

Under Subtitles:
* Ehh I don't use 'em ever so not familiar with what you'd want to do here. I guess you'd have to use "Burn In" as the car didn't seem to have a way to enable subtitles.

Once you're done you can hit "Save New Preset"

Pictured: grand tour 16:9 on both screens. Passenger just has to hit the "Media" button and then the fullscreen button.
Porsche Taycan How to play VIDEOS in the Taycan's PCM Screen 6541EEBC-B5C3-4332-8F50-1033A630785F

Last edited:

Schlarbsi

First Name
Dominik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Alternativ would be to connect an CarPlay ai box instat of an iPhone to the pcm. This way you can directly watch YouTube or Netflix.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you for this great video, but think instead of using an ssd drive, you can also use the phone storage
I did try both an iPhone and a Android (running Android One). The iPhone does not export its memory as storage visible within the PCM. The Android does show an additional USB device but when I selected it says there are no comparable files even though I have MP3s as well as MP4s on the device. Maybe others have more luck. But I was able to use my USB-C to USB-A dongle with a flash drive that I use in the car to attach to my cell phone and copy MP4 files from it to my memory stick then plug the adapter back into the car so it's really not such a big deal.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There are quite a few movies in 2.35:1 aspect ratio, which comes out to 1920 x 800 (roughly). Assuming the vertical resolution of the PCM screens is the limiter, it would be good to know the resolution if anyone does manage to find the spec sheet or otherwise guesstimate. Not sure if the media player will scale so it might also be possible to figure this out by trying several different transcoded video heights (e.g. 600, 720, 800).

+1 for Handbrake - it's a great program, it can be easy to use or powerful (you can still directly pass options to the x264 encoder). The Bose system supports surround sound, but it's not obvious if it will pick-up a multi-channel source mixed down to Dolby Stereo. I doubt it would support true 5.1.

How is the audio-video sync when playing a movie? If it were off, you could also adjust for that during the transcode.

Definitely awesome!

Techwizard100

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I did try both an iPhone and a Android (running Android One). The iPhone does not export its memory as storage visible within the PCM. The Android does show an additional USB device but when I selected it says there are no comparable files even though I have MP3s as well as MP4s on the device. Maybe others have more luck. But I was able to use my USB-C to USB-A dongle with a flash drive that I use in the car to attach to my cell phone and copy MP4 files from it to my memory stick then plug the adapter back into the car so it's really not such a big deal.
Yep, exactly. File system must be able to be mounted by the PCM. Phones dont do proper file sharing via USB.

Techwizard100

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Edit: Anyone want to create an android app to stream phone screen as a progressive mp4 into the sdcard so we could essentially just view Youtube/Netflix? ?

Time to get a Samsung T5 and convert some Grand Tour and F&F. :)

I took a photo of the screen and tried to calculate the aspect ratio. I seem to have landed on around 64:25, so 1080p would be 1920x750, and 720p would be 1280x500. This is, however, not the resolution of the screen. Can't be assed to count pixels at the moment. Perhaps someone with some spec sheets could chime in and also help us get the pixel perfect ratio.

It's 6am and I've yet to sleep. No way am I going out in -10 to verify if I'm missing a few pixels or whatnot.

Now, cropping movies that are 16:9 down to this would be heresy and I'd advise only doing so on movies running any form of ultra wide aspect ratio (2.39:1, 1.66 etc etc). A 1080p ultrawide would be about 1920x800, so taking off 25px at the top and bottom would be acceptable.

If using Handbrake I'd advise just sticking to the Fast 1080p30 preset and doing the following:

Under Summary:
* Check "Web Optimized"

Under Dimensions (if cropping)
* Set "Height" to 750
* "Cropping" to Custom
* Top to 164, Bottom to 166. EDIT: These are kind of dependent on your video. You want PAR to be 1x1. My values come from a 1920x800 resolution movie that has the black bars baked in so it's detected as 1080 while actually being 800. So 1080 - 750 = 330. 164 + 166 = 330. :)

Under Video:
* Set "Framerate" to videos framerate (if VLC: Tools -> Media Information -> Codec tab, under "Stream 0" find "Frame rate".
* Set to Constant Framerate.
* You can change from "Constant Quality" to a variable bitrate if you'd like to save some space. I'd say an average of anywhere between 5000 - 8000 for 1080p would be decent enough since this isn't, well, a movie theater experience. Just be sure your USB can actually be READ this "fast". Many drives can be very slow.
PS: Write doesn't matter (though transferring TO the drive will be annoying at low speeds.)
* There's no need to change Encoder Preset to anything higher than Fast. The screens are too small, and we sit too far away. If you have a good enough CPU and extra patience you can set it to Medium. Your choice.

Under Audio:
* No clue if the various sound systems supports REAL surround or if they're always set up as all-channel stereo, but the car will play audio with the mixdown "5.1 Surround" at the bottom. Yet to try "Dolby Surround". Again, 6am as I'm typing this. ?

Under Subtitles:
* Ehh I don't use 'em ever so not familiar with what you'd want to do here. I guess you'd have to use "Burn In" as the car didn't seem to have a way to enable subtitles.

Once you're done you can hit "Save New Preset"

Pictured: grand tour 16:9 on both screens. Passenger just has to hit the "Media" button and then the fullscreen button.
6541EEBC-B5C3-4332-8F50-1033A630785F.jpeg
I’m getting pretty nice wide screens with movies ripped from DVD‘s using 720p output settings in Handbrake.

Porsche Taycan How to play VIDEOS in the Taycan's PCM Screen 6030B612-16DD-4851-AF3D-368754D0E180

Porsche Taycan How to play VIDEOS in the Taycan's PCM Screen 10B238D8-58FC-4864-A8D4-11C575AD077D

Techwizard100

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
There are quite a few movies in 2.35:1 aspect ratio, which comes out to 1920 x 800 (roughly). Assuming the vertical resolution of the PCM screens is the limiter, it would be good to know the resolution if anyone does manage to find the spec sheet or otherwise guesstimate. Not sure if the media player will scale so it might also be possible to figure this out by trying several different transcoded video heights (e.g. 600, 720, 800).

+1 for Handbrake - it's a great program, it can be easy to use or powerful (you can still directly pass options to the x264 encoder). The Bose system supports surround sound, but it's not obvious if it will pick-up a multi-channel source mixed down to Dolby Stereo. I doubt it would support true 5.1.

How is the audio-video sync when playing a movie? If it were off, you could also adjust for that during the transcode.

Definitely awesome!
The audio sync and sound quality with handbrake software is absolutely awesome. Almost sounds like Dolby surround to me.