arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Tested this today, worked like a charm with an MP4/video I had on hand (funny enough of a video my brother took of us driving my 997 911 GTS). Anyhow, it works well enough for what I wanted to see. Look forward to a road trip; will load up some videos to enjoy during charging time. Not quite as fancy as my wife’s Tesla (”Netflix & Charge” we call it LOL) — but it’ll do! ;-)

Techwizard100

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tested this today, worked like a charm with an MP4/video I had on hand (funny enough of a video my brother took of us driving my 997 911 GTS). Anyhow, it works well enough for what I wanted to see. Look forward to a road trip; will load up some videos to enjoy during charging time. Not quite as fancy as my wife’s Tesla (”Netflix & Charge” we call it LOL) — but it’ll do! ;-)
Fantastic!

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
In this video explain how to play videos on yout Taycan PCM (No hacks!)

I have been enjoying videos since my first trip back in July ... not on the Taycan’s screen but on the largest latest iPad Pro ... much easier, more flexible content and sharper ! Just an extra kg. of weight to carry around !

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag

This is great! I just ordered the Kufatec OBD connector that allows video while driving for those long rides in traffic... I’ll report back when it comes in.
If you have the passenger screen in your Taycan please also report back if it keeps the passenger screen on while in motion when the seat is unoccupied.

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you have the passenger screen in your Taycan please also report back if it keeps the passenger screen on while in motion when the seat is unoccupied.
I do, I’ll let you know when I get it.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Once upon a time... (Bear with me...)

When I owned an Infiniti FX-45. I found an electrical schematic that identified the wheel pulse signal which got fed to the Nav system. The Nav system used the wheel pulse, not only to update the cars geographic location when GPS was not available (i.e. in a tunnel), but also to know when the car was in motion.

Unfortunately, like many cars, the FX-45 would not let anyone update the Nav destination (etc) while the car was in motion.

I cut this wire, wired in a simple SPDT (on/off) switch and mounted the switch in my unused ash tray. As far as the Nav system was concerned, the car was stopped whenever I turned that switch off. As soon as I was done messing with the Nav system, I turned the switch back on and the Nav system updated its GPS position and started tracking again.

I posted this hack and was pretty famous on the FX-45 forums for a while. Sadly, my short-lived fame never combined with any social interaction that resulted in free beer...

ANYWAY...

If anyone has access to any of the electrical schematics for the Taycan I'ld love to take a look! I would bet that the very same signal which disables video playing while the car is in motion is the same one that also turns off the pass display if no passenger is present.

Similarly, the pass seat sensor wire would be useful to find (undoubtedly accessible from under the pass seat) so we could fool the car into thinking someone was sitting in the seat (to keep the pass display alive).

Anyone?

Last edited:

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
@evanevery — back in my Audi days a similar trick existed. To trick the factory RNS-E nav you could intercept the GPS (or maybe it too was wheel speed sensor) which allowed VIM (video in motion) on the factory nav system. I remember this, coupled with an RCA input and a DVD player mounted in the glovebox of my V8 Audi S6 Avant (wagon). Ahh good times.

From what I’ve heard, from people much smarter than myself, the systems are a bit more complex. IIRC you;re a programmer, so you can probably attest to this. I suspect a simple trick like intercepting a wheel sensor would no longer work. And goodness knows nowadays other systems might get feisty and cause errors. So VIM is prob not going to be an easy trick on any modern car.

But... I do believe your suggestion on the passenger seat trick would probably work. Only caveat there: you’d have to remember to buckle the seat too— so to avoid the pesky red logo and annoying beeps reminding that person to buckle up (the invisible person it thinks is there, just so you can have that screen stay on) LOL

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Damn this topic got derailed a bit. ?

Looks like cutting my movies down to 1920x750 (original is 1920x800) wasn't enough to fill the screen. Might need to go down to 700 which I'm not willing to do. This is good enough I think.

Porsche Taycan How to play VIDEOS in the Taycan's PCM Screen IMG_0401

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Got it!

The main- and passenger screens are 8:3. 1920x720 (still may not be actual resolution of screens, but this is the aspect ratio)

Some movies that are 2.39:1 or anything not 16:9 can come with black bars burned into the image for scenes where they go full 16:9, but if you have some that don't or you don't care about those few scenes and would rather take full advantage of your "big" screens then you can crop to these resolutions:

3840x1440 (no idea if the Taycan media player can handle this btw)
1920x720
1280x480

Link here for some guides: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...eos-in-the-taycans-pcm-screen.3468/post-47921

Will quote the dimension cropping here with new values:

Under Dimensions (if cropping and movie shows 1920x800 under "Output, Display Size" bottom left in this tab)
* Set "Height" to 720
* "Cropping" to Custom
* Top to 180, Bottom to 180. EDIT: These are kind of dependent on your video. You want PAR to be 1x1. My values come from a 1920x800 resolution movie that has the black bars baked in so it's detected as 1080 while actually being 800.

You can skew these values a bit and take more off the bottom than the top since movies carry more "vital" information to a viewer on the top 3/4 rather than bottom 3/4.

Porsche Taycan How to play VIDEOS in the Taycan's PCM Screen handbrake.PNG

Aspect Ratio was found by going to https://your-digital-co-pilot.com:5000/center
Sponsored