wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I had to order some small microfiber clothes for the screen. With all of the touching and swiping with the video box, the center screen is full of fingerprints. :fingerscrossed:

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My Carplay MMB box arrived. I ordered mine from Amazon US$299 (they are currently out of stock). It was described as a 2021 version (Universal - Grey box). I'm not sure if it is a newer version than some of you installed. I have a 2020 Taycan. Last week I installed a similar Ubisheng Carplay box.

I did not need to perform the firmware update that some of you had to install on your MMB box. It booted up once I got it to power on. A strange thing with both the Ubisheng and MMB boxes. When I tried to use the USB-C to USB-C cable I could not get either box to boot. I tried some aftermarket cables without success either. On both I had to use a USB-C to USB-A cable with a USB-C adapter attached to the USB-A cable.

Once booted the layout of the screens on both boxes is almost identical. HOWEVER that is where the similarities end. Although the Ubisheng is on a newer operating system (Android 9.0) vs. MMB (Android 7.0), the MMB box is much, much better.

On the MMB box the touch screen sensitivity sometimes requires more than one push, but on the Ubisheng box many times when I try to select something, the button or icons start moving around on the screen (very frustrating).

The other huge difference is the ability to mirror my Samsung Android phone onto the center PCM screen via the MMB box without using the Happycast app that was required with the Ubisheng box. (I didn't want to download Happycast because it was not available on the Google Playstore and for security issues I don't trust downloading something from a random site). You can also screen cast with an iPhone. With the MMB box, I was able to use Screen View which is a native app on my Samsung phone without downloading anything new onto the MMB box. I got a message that I had to disable the Hotspot so I didn't think it would work after shutting off the Hotspot, but my phone start to scan for devices to screen cast and it located the MMB box.

The ability to screen cast onto the PCM screen is a really big plus because instead of downloading something like Waze onto the MMB box, I could use Waze from my phone and screen cast it to the larger PCM screen without any issues with the GPS signal, etc. I noticed some GPS issues with the Waze app I downloaded on the Ubisheng box because it was not using the GPS signal from my phone.

Similar to the Ubisheng box, Youtube videos play without buffering on the MMB box. Neither box is great at streaming movies/video from Amazon Prime Video or Tubi mainly due to the bandwidth constraints of my Hotspot. Both devices will play content stored on a USB flash drive.

All in all, I would give the MMB box a B+ and the Ubisheng box C-
Attached is a screen shot of the OS and App versions of my MMB box in case you want to compare them to the upgraded firmware some of you had to install to make the MMB box work on your 2021 Taycans. I wonder if mine came with the newer firmware installed.

Porsche Taycan How to play VIDEOS in the Taycan's PCM Screen Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.20.24 PM
Porsche Taycan How to play VIDEOS in the Taycan's PCM Screen 20210306_201546_resized

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
As soon as I get my 4S, I will make a video on how Youtube and other apps look through an old Iphone. Could be an alternative for people with a spare Iphone at home. Testing on other cars so far looked pretty good.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@jmi91 after you installed the new software, what are the version numbers of the OS and App on your MMB box? I'm wondering if I have the same versions as you, or if I need to update.

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY2021, Panamera 4S
Country flag
I had to use a USB-C to USB-A cable with a USB-C adapter attached to the USB-A cable.
The cable usb-c to usb-c has a symbol of usb on one side of connector, this side must be connect to the car, the other side to the box.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The cable usb-c to usb-c has a symbol of usb on one side of connector, this side must be connect to the car, the other side to the box.
Wow, I never noticed the symbol. I just assumed that USB-C connectors worked regardless of end. Your suggestion worked. Thank you.

da2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
As soon as I get my 4S, I will make a video on how Youtube and other apps look through an old Iphone. Could be an alternative for people with a spare Iphone at home. Testing on other cars so far looked pretty good.
I think you mean Carbridge on a jailbroken iphone. Carbridge cannot play DRM content. So Netflix and so on is not possible. :(

da2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
On the MMB box the touch screen sensitivity sometimes requires more than one push
can you make a video of that or can you send it to MMB? (whatsapp for example)
I talked to them and they can fix that maybe.

Note: The whole taycan 2021 patch file procedure will be deprecated in an upcomming update.

Last edited:

jmi91

First Name
Jean-Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi RS5 Convertible, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
@jmi91 after you installed the new software, what are the version numbers of the OS and App on your MMB box? I'm wondering if I have the same versions as you, or if I need to update.
Porsche Taycan How to play VIDEOS in the Taycan's PCM Screen IMG_0393

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bad news everyone. I didn't have a chance to upload the new software. I was waiting to hear back from the manufacturer on whether or not to update. Unfortunately, yesterday the MMB box stopped working. It has power and the status light shows that it is connecting. Unfortunately, the car now thinks it is a PlayStation instead of the Carplay box. I tried it in my Maserati that also has CarPlay and the same result. Last night I reported the issue to the manufacturer. They asked for the order number. I sent them some information including the OS and App version numbers that I got when I installed the MMB box last week. No response to my last emails. I did receive an email in response to my software question. They said if the device is working no need to update the software, most of the changes are to update the list of compatible vehicles. Since it won't boot, I can't install the newer software. Since I purchased it from Amazon, I have 30 days to return it. It looks like that is what I will need to do. :(

jmi91

First Name
Jean-Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi RS5 Convertible, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Thank you da2001 for this information. Here is the change:

Release time: 2021-3-12
MMB system version£∫WJAN4_010_288_Update_MMB_2021031116

Update instructions:
1. Optimize google login.
2. 21MY Audi models are supported.
3. Nissan car-machine connection support.
4. Optimize the display number of Bluetooth phones in third-party applications.
5. Porsche 21MY TayCan connection support.
6. Skoda 21MY connection support.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I promised to give an update on my "old phone + jailbreak" method.
Picked the car up yesterday and tried it out right away.
You can have ANY app you want on your PCM screen. Safari browser, Twitch, Youtube, Any third party apps that stream movies (no netflix). Works like a charm.

All you need is an old iphone and 9,99$ for the app "carbridge".

da2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
5. Porsche 21MY TayCan connection support.
6. Skoda 21MY connection support.
21my Taycan of a friend is still not working after this update.
Sponsored