How to remove the "privacy" from OEM glass. Is it possible?

Mook

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Cayenne Turbo S, Merc 560SL
Country flag
The tinted window (or privacy glass) is a must if the weather in your area is of a sunny disposition. With the panoramic glass roof, it can get quite warm in the cabin, and, the tinted windows really help in reducing the load on the AC - which translates to increased range. Since the regen brakes are not operating when one is cruising on the highways every little bit helps.
Sponsored

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Unfortunately, in most European countries there are strict limits on front and front passenger windows (here front windshield can only block 25% light and front passenger windows 30%)

This means that there will be always a big contrast between front and rear part of a vehicle making it look like a passenger car converted into a comercial utility car like
Porsche Taycan How to remove the "privacy" from OEM glass. Is it possible? images

Yeah... I wish they'd allow a 50% block all around.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I'm actually not a tint person, but we don't seem to get that privacy glass here and I've considered it...only for the back windows though. At night my old-ass eyes can't see through tint well.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
In FL, you are supposed to have 35% on the driver and passenger windows. Not sure if there is a limit on the windshield, but my windshield at 70% is indistinguishable from clear glass. The front window strip should not dip below a marking that is on all windshields.

Most SUV's and vehicles have the rear driver and passenger doors and back window(s) at around 20-22%. So if you get the legal limit, it does not match when looking at the car from the side.

I just always put down all the windows when stopped to prevent any questions and like my matched tint :) Been doing it since the 80's.

Though when younger, I had a Trans Am with 5% tint (aka Limo) and @DerekS is right, older eyes cannot see as well. I cannot imagine having limo now!

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
To my eyes, tinted rear door windows disturb the coherent style of a car. So I agree with OP.
Sponsored