How to replace wheel centers?

jnat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ‘21
Country flag
I purchased a set of gloss-black wheel centers for my mission-e wheels, and I was wondering if anyone has successfully swapped them out themselves? Of course I can have the dealer do it but would like to avoid the hassle.

Porsche Taycan How to replace wheel centers? Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 7.39.29 PM
Sponsored

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Just push the old ones out from behind (you have to take the wheel off), and push them in from the front. Otherwise, you can use a tiny Allen wrench and put it through the hole, pull, and then pull out. Push new ones in from the front.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One stupid little superstition. I know that I (and the other Porsche guys I know) always point the tip of the shield to the valve stem. I am sure it results in an extra 30 hp and boundless torque.

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A firm and reasonable smack on the backside of the wheel cap will do the trick. I'd say about as much force as you would normally use to smack someone on the back of the head as a jovial greeting. Enough to make them sneer at you, but not enough to knock them out. I typically do this with the back side of a screwdriver since it's usually rounded and have a good solid mass.

Hardest part of the entire process is going to be putting the wheel back on the car itself.

OP
OP
jnat

jnat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ‘21
Country flag
Just push the old ones out from behind (you have to take the wheel off), and push them in from the front. Otherwise, you can use a tiny Allen wrench and put it through the hole, pull, and then pull out. Push new ones in from the front.
Unfortunately I don't see a hole anywhere on these to use the Allen wrench method. I heard the holes were removed to prevent theft.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
No reason to take the wheels off, just use a plastic trim tool around the edge and they pop right off.

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
I replaced mine without taking the wheels off. I used a plastic tool removal set to slide between the rim and the center cap. It was not easy but with patience you will get them to pop off.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unfortunately I don't see a hole anywhere on these to use the Allen wrench method. I heard the holes were removed to prevent theft.
That could be. I only remove them when I swap winters for summers, so I don't use the hole.

Don't try to pry off from the front. Some idiot did that to my Tesla wheels and marred both the caps and the wheels.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
One stupid little superstition. I know that I (and the other Porsche guys I know) always point the tip of the shield to the valve stem. I am sure it results in an extra 30 hp and boundless torque.
Thanks for the tip! The Taycan is my first Porsche (but certainly not the last) and my wife has already observed elevated OCD levels as a result of the Taycan. She will no doubt be impressed this evening when I excuse myself to realign my shield tips. If veteran Porsche guys have any more OCD tips for us rookies, please post ASAP. We are trying to honor the brand but need a little help from time to time with the “secret handshakes.”

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the tip! The Taycan is my first Porsche (but certainly not the last) and my wife has already observed elevated OCD levels as a result of the Taycan. She will no doubt be impressed this evening when I excuse myself to realign my shield tips. If veteran Porsche guys have any more OCD tips for us rookies, please post ASAP. We are trying to honor the brand but need a little help from time to time with the “secret handshakes.”
Welcome to the family. Another tip from veterans: if you have a deployable spoiler, NEVER manually deploy it, and really don’t park with it deployed. It is a vain and silly flex that’s not even a flex. I’m always tempted to leave a note saying “sorry your spoiler is broken, the local Porsche dealer can fix that for you.”

alaphaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you’re taking the wheels of - READ the MANUAL. Moreover I advice You to buy the centering “things” (I only know the Danish word for it ;)) mentioned in the manual if you have upgraded wheel og brake sets to help dismounting an mounting the wheels without damage to the brakes.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you’re taking the wheels of - READ the MANUAL. Moreover I advice You to buy the centering “things” (I only know the Danish word for it ;)) mentioned in the manual if you have upgraded wheel og brake sets to help dismounting an mounting the wheels without damage to the brakes.
He means this: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99957107430.html

also, here are the properly oriented caps;)

and If you really want OCD, 911 owners setting sport chrono on 9:11:rolleyes:

Porsche Taycan How to replace wheel centers? D734449F-D6E7-41E9-8055-0D7C9B4E8D2C

Porsche Taycan How to replace wheel centers? 1FE18FE4-803B-4CA6-8098-DF79524C3DEB

Porsche Taycan How to replace wheel centers? D38B502D-7168-4E21-B14F-CF78D0D8BD66

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Welcome to the family. Another tip from veterans: if you have a deployable spoiler, NEVER manually deploy it, and really don’t park with it deployed. It is a vain and silly flex that’s not even a flex. I’m always tempted to leave a note saying “sorry your spoiler is broken, the local Porsche dealer can fix that for you.”
Good advice. Thankfully, we have a Panamera driving neighbor who constantly leaves the spoiler deployed (as she drives through the hood at 20 mph). My son and I have been laughing at the lady's spoiler flexation fixation for years and would never consider manually flexing our spoiler muscle! I will however now have to ask Ms. Panamera when her spoiler broke, and why she has not had it fixed. If she reacts nicely, I'll throw in some friendly advice on shield-tip alignment. ;)
Sponsored