First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Hi guys,

In the Uk the Taycan comes with a 'Mobile Charger Plus (MBP) with 4.5m vehicle side cable'. The MBP manual says it can be set to 50% or 100% charge. No mention of intermediate settings.

The recommended maximum continuous charging level is 80%; With 100% being used when a long trip is planned.

How do you set the system to stop at 80%? Is it a function in the car software? or the MBP control APP? Or do I need something more sophisticated like the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect?

Something else?

Many thanks
Sponsored

mandoyoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I don’t use the Porsche Charger, but you can set the target charge in the profile, which can be done through the Porsche Connect app (for iOS or Android), and in-car through the PCM. I use the General Profile with the target charge set to 80%.

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
I don’t use the Porsche Charger, but you can set the target charge in the profile, which can be done through the Porsche Connect app (for iOS or Android), and in-car through the PCM. I use the General Profile with the target charge set to 80%.
Thanks M - Exactly what I was looking for! Much appreciated.

jcroix

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don’t have my Taycan yet (hopefully within 2 weeks), but I did do some research on charging. The basic charger has an option for 50% power or 100% power. The Taycan doesn’t have a way to limit current to 32 amps, for example, on a 40 amp circuit. That’s taken care of by your charger, not the Taycan. So the basic Porsche charger comes configured to draw just 50% of the possible current that your plug tells the charger it can draw. If you have a NEMA 14-20, for example, it can draw 16 amps continuously (maximum) at 120V. At 50% on the Porsche charger, it will only 8 amps, or .96kW - not much. The big brother, the PMCC, has a selectable limit beyond just the 50% and 100% choices.

Again, I’m just guessing based on your post. But the 50% and 100% numbers align with the documentation on the charger.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The PMC+ or PMCC ( or any other wall unit EVSE) is not a charger - these units simply provide a safe and stable electrical supply. The charger is in the car - AC and DC.

Use the profile / timer option on the PCM, My Porsche web portal or Porsche Connect App to perform this task.

Leave your EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) on its max supply setting e.g. single phase supply 32A to ensure you get 7.4kW throughput.

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
The PMC+ or PMCC ( or any other wall unit EVSE) is not a charger - these units simply provide a safe and stable electrical supply. The charger is in the car - AC and DC.

Use the profile / timer option on the PCM, My Porsche web portal or Porsche Connect App to perform this task.

Leave your EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) on its max supply setting e.g. single phase supply 32A to ensure you get 7.4kW throughput.
- - -
I do exactly that at home fed via my Wallbox. The PMCC stays in its case in the rear boot/trunk.

However I have a commando socket at a holiday home & find the homes ECB trips repeatedly if I don’t use the PMCC to govern (dial down) amps a little from 32a to around 28amps (makes little noticeable difference to overnight charge times but we don’t sit in the dark with no heat or light when in the house ?)

im a bit concerned my new Turbo (due in 3wks) will come with the basic lead (PMC+) and an inherent inability to lower amps as the charging profile of the car doesn’t offer scope to do this. (My dealer wants the PMCC back with my 4S as part of our trade in deal !)

any thoughts guys?

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Thanks Folks - all is clear now.

I downloaded the Porsche connect app to check before asking - but without a car (yet) it only runs in a limited demo mode - and the Taycan manual does not explain.

Much appreciated.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
- - -
I do exactly that at home fed via my Wallbox. The PMCC stays in its case in the rear boot/trunk.

However I have a commando socket at a holiday home & find the homes ECB trips repeatedly if I don’t use the PMCC to govern (dial down) amps a little from 32a to around 28amps (makes little noticeable difference to overnight charge times but we don’t sit in the dark with no heat or light when in the house ?)

im a bit concerned my new Turbo (due in 3wks) will come with the basic lead (PMC+) and an inherent inability to lower amps as the charging profile of the car doesn’t offer scope to do this. (My dealer wants the PMCC back with my 4S as part of our trade in deal !)

any thoughts guys?
You can throttle it back (manual screen shot attached). Not as flexible as the PMCC but...

Porsche Taycan how to set a 80% Charging limit? Screenshot_20211011-202629_OneDrive

jcroix

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag

Porsche calls it a charger in their literature. PMC = Porsche Mobile Charger, per their manual. Argue with them if you like over terminology. I was simply responding to a question, not questioning the accuracy of their marketing material.

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
If I can adjudicate here - when I bought my first Taycan (15mths ago) the bulk & weight of PMCC gave the impression of it being a serious piece of kit, and similarly the WallBox smart charger I’d fitted to my home. But it’s good to alter the mindset to these really being governed by the charging profiles you personally set up within the car … that pretty much determines (almost) all (apart from my tetchy need for amps to be dialled down to c 28amps from peak 32amp.
Of course Porsche misrepresent the PMCC (& PMC+) as chargers which doesn’t help with new drivers / owners understanding this concept. ?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Porsche calls it a charger in their literature. PMC = Porsche Mobile Charger, per their manual. Argue with them if you like over terminology. I was simply responding to a question, not questioning the accuracy of their marketing material.
All manufacturers do the same with their EVSEs and use the generic term "charger".

Many people are new to EVs in general (myself included) however I've learned to separate the wheat from the chaff to better understand what is what and what does what if only to demystify.

Not intended as a 'smart' comment.

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Sorry to cause trouble folks - My question was answered by the first reply

The controls to set a given % max charge (and I assume other settings) are in the app and the car.

I got that. Much appreciated.

Cheers

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Sorry to cause trouble folks - My question was answered by the first reply

The controls to set a given % max charge (and I assume other settings) are in the app and the car.

I got that. Much appreciated.

Cheers
And My Porsche web portal - 3 ways to do this so spoilt for choice.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The key point to pick up post first answer is that the EVSE advertises to the car the maximum charging current but the car controls the actual charging current and charging process. Don't confuse [maximum] charging power (50% or 100% - controlled by the EVSE) with vehicle target charge (controlled by the vehicle).

At home, you probably don't need an EVSE where you can control the maximum charging power (you just want it to properly set this based on the type of pigtail - e.g. 14-30 vs. 14-50). However when you travel, you definitely want a more sophisticated EVSE where you can dial back the maximum charge power for where the grid is less reliable (think campground or an AirBnB cottage).
Sponsored