adamandsheri

First Name
AdamAndSheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
It took me a while to sort this out, but I thought I would share what I did and how I did it...

My utility (Cobb EMC, Georgia) has super cheap overnight charging, $0.045 cents from midnight to 6am with the first 400Kw for free. It's $0.073 from 9pm to midnight and 6am to 1pm and $0.135 from 1pm to 9pm. I want to optimize my charging overnight, but also make sure it gets a full charge. As a side note, you must check with your utility to see if they have night rates. In Georgia we have a lot of nuclear that generates spare power overnight.

I turned off profiles because they didn't seem to play nice with my scheme and they seemed pointless.
I happen to have a ChargePoint Home and I don't know how the Porsche charger works, but I set the ChargePoint Home to only turn on from 9pm to 1pm each day. I never want to charge during peak times.

I created 3 Timer profiles:
40% at 11:58pm
85% at 6am
80% at 1pm

I usually plug-in around 6pm, but regardless of when I plug in, if the charge is less than 40%, it will charge from 9pm to 11:59pm until it hits 40%.
It will then charge from midnight to 6am to 85%
In the unlikely event it didn't get to 85% by 6am (probably because I didn't plug it in), it will charge from 6am to 1pm until it get's to 80%. Since I am normally at 85% at 6am, this rarely happens.

I hope you find this helpful or mildly entertaining.
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I think I can sign up for off-peak rates, but if I calculate the cost difference over a year…it’s not worth worrying about. I’d much rather charge when I want. My setup is simple (meaning less likely to not work), I don’t think about when I plug in, and I get immediate feedback that the charging is working because it always starts right away. Also easy mid-day top ups when needed.

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
I think I can sign up for off-peak rates, but if I calculate the cost difference over a year…it’s not worth worrying about. I’d much rather charge when I want. My setup is simple (meaning less likely to not work), I don’t think about when I plug in, and I get immediate feedback that the charging is working because it always starts right away. Also easy mid-day top ups when needed.
My off-peak rates are definitely not worth it. If I’m on that plan it’s not the same normal price during peak times at my utility. While its cheaper overnight it’s much more expensive during the day than the regular non-off-peak rate plan. That would kill me in the summer with 4 big A/C compressors going. Better for me to take the in-between rate for all times.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It took me a while to sort this out, but I thought I would share what I did and how I did it...

My utility (Cobb EMC, Georgia) has super cheap overnight charging, $0.045 cents from midnight to 6am with the first 400Kw for free. It's $0.073 from 9pm to midnight and 6am to 1pm and $0.135 from 1pm to 9pm. I want to optimize my charging overnight, but also make sure it gets a full charge. As a side note, you must check with your utility to see if they have night rates. In Georgia we have a lot of nuclear that generates spare power overnight.

I turned off profiles because they didn't seem to play nice with my scheme and they seemed pointless.
I happen to have a ChargePoint Home and I don't know how the Porsche charger works, but I set the ChargePoint Home to only turn on from 9pm to 1pm each day. I never want to charge during peak times.

85% at 6am
80% at 1pm

I usually plug-in around 6pm, but regardless of when I plug in, if the charge is less than 40%, it will charge from 9pm to 11:59pm until it hits 40%.
In the unlikely event it didn't get to 85% by 6am (probably because I didn't plug it in), it will charge from 6am to 1pm until it get's to 80%. Since I am normally at 85% at 6am, this rarely happens.

I hope you find this helpful or mildly entertaining.
Great use case and can be configured in the same way with Porsche profiles and departure timers using Porsche EVSEs or 3rd party.

I have an off peak period between midnight and 07:00 and a target charge of 85% daily and 2 different geographical locations where I charge from. To accomplish I have 2 profiles and 1 timer active all the time. The profile used is automatically selected depending on geolocation.

Not sure why so many folk struggle with this.

This is EVSE agnostic - I have one Porsche and one non Porsche EVSE - given the management of the charging process is handled by the car and never the EVSE.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
85% at 6am
80% at 1pm

I am confused by your first timer that reaches 40% by 11:58pm. Why not just have the second timer, so that the car will only start charging before midnight if it needs to in order to reach 85% by 6am?

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Hello fellow COBB EMC customer! I have my Taycan set similarly; charging starts after midnight and I charge up to 85%. Use the Direct Charge button on those occasions when I want to charge right away or beyond 85%. All done in the car using Profiles and Timers. I set it up about 18 months ago when I got my 2020, and it's worked flawlessly since.
Sponsored