First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Gents,

The amount of capacity is displayed on "technical specifications" on Porsche configurator:
1596385790885.png

So yeah, charge to 100% and you still have 10%-ish left for battery safety.

Still, Porsche recommends (as per the manual) to charge to 85% for daily use.

They also state that charging to 100% before a roadtrip is not an issue.
Yes @Gubbjaevel and @DragonRR Porsche used to have a 12% buffer split between the top and bottom when the car first came out in September and I recall watching the charging video by Alex Dykes for TFL Cars with great interest as he had it charging in less than 1 hour from 1% to 100%. That was up till December I believe, then Porsche pushed a software change to reduce the reservation dramatically, I assume motivated by more knowledge of the battery behavior and a desire for more range. I believe the majority of the remaining reservation is on the bottom with only a small top reservation. you will see the charge rate drop dramatically as it approaches 100% but I believe it is still around 10 kilowatts at 99%. This is much higher than Tesla at that SoC which truly has I believe 0 top buffer.

Bottom line the usable battery is now 89 to 90kWh so the reservation is only 5% now and I suspect 4% on the bottom and 1% on top. I've heard and other videos that there is no region on breaking when charged to 100%, this is quite visible/testable by looking at the power meter.

Bottom, bottom line is that I completely agree with @svp6 that you should set a profile to charge only to 85% if you are interested in maximizing the life and performance of your battery then use that direct charging button to go to 100% when you are planning a road trip. I do the same thing with my Chevy Bolt and it is no significant trouble. If the car is leased and you don't care then I understand you may always want full range available; however, 85% range should still be well over 200mi at highway speeds anyway.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
In your post here how did you estimate the battery size? Is this details from how much the charger has delivered or from the car? Where can you find this?

Some of these posts should perhaps be moved to some sticky section as information? Is this possible.
@Scandinavian, this is just back of the cuff calculation, I did not measure the delivery from the charger (which would include the charging loss so it overestimates the capacity). If you multiply the number of miles driven with the Wh/mile, that gives you the used energy. From the battery percentage charge you get the corresponding drop in capacity. You can then solve for the total battery size and for the estimated mileage remaining at similar usage / total range (driven + available).

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Morning All

First post for me.

I haven't seen the timer setting but not sure why I would want to stop at 85%?

I was advised that it would take 8 hours to fully charge but it is taking 12 hours and my theory is that the 8 hour time is based on the supply to the property being 100 amp hour cable. My cable is 80 amp hour and so it must restrict the supply.

Not really a problem but if I arrive home at 9:00 pm the car isn't fully charged for an early start the following day. Liveable with but a little frustrating.

Any comments?

Bob

charge.png
5.5kW is quite slow. For UK I believe you can get 11kW charging with the correct setup. At least see if you can get to 9.6kW which is 40Amp at 240V single phase. The 11kW in Europe is 32amp 3 phase I believe.

And motivated by @svp6 even the 5.5kW will give you about 120mi range in 8hr. Is your daily drive more than that typically?

Last edited:
Reactions: H20

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Morning All

First post for me.

I was advised that it would take 8 hours to fully charge but it is taking 12 hours and my theory is that the 8 hour time is based on the supply to the property being 100 amp hour cable. My cable is 80 amp hour and so it must restrict the supply.

Not really a problem but if I arrive home at 9:00 pm the car isn't fully charged for an early start the following day. Liveable with but a little frustrating.

Any comments?

Bob
Bob, it depends on your travel needs. If you use most of the battery every day on your commute, then it will be bothersome, and you may need to upgrade your electrical panel (pricy!). If you use only a fraction of it, most likely your current setup should be adequate.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Morning All

First post for me.

Any comments?

Bob

charge.png
Your charger in the picture is only supplying 5.5 kW! So fully charging an empty battery would take nearly 16 hours, assuming the battery is about 90 kWh.
Is the charger capable of giving more power?

I have a three phase installation and can easily get 11 kW which charges the car overnight and mostly at cheap rates between 02.00 to 07.00.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Robert, What is the breaker rated at where your charger is connected? In the UK, on single phase you want a 32Amp breaker for your charger. That will give you 7.2KW. perfect for overnight charging for most people. The Porsche Mobile Charger that comes with the car is capable of 22KW charging on three phase, each phase 32Amp. But of course the car will only accept 11KW AC maximum. DC chargers, only available at public charging will do 50 - 350kw.

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Your charger in the picture is only supplying 5.5 kW! So fully charging an empty battery would take nearly 16 hours, assuming the battery is about 90 kWh.
Is the charger capable of giving more power?

I have a three phase installation and can easily get 11 kW which charges the car overnight and mostly at cheap rates between 02.00 to 07.00.
It's odd that the circle in the middle of screen says 5.5kw but it shows 12hours of charging and 89kWh delivered, implying 7.3kW charging (it is a screenshot of the Andersen charger, which I also have). I think the 5.5kW must have been the instantaneous charging rate when the screenshot was taken, with a nearly 100% full battery?

7.3kW will be right for single phase UK, as others have said, and also what I am getting with the same charger.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
That was up till December I believe, then Porsche pushed a software change to reduce the reservation dramatically.

Bottom line the usable battery is now 89 to 90kWh so the reservation is only 5% now and I suspect 4% on the bottom and 1% on top. I've heard and other videos that there is no region on breaking when charged to 100%, this is quite visible/testable by looking at the power meter.
Thanks, I totally missed this!

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I was under the impression Porsche reserves a portion of the battery to keep it safe and their 100% is not ACTUALLY 100% like it is with Tesla, therefore you can keep it to 100% by default and not worry about the misleading 85%. (ie Tesla requires you to set 85% as they are more reckless with resiliency and want to advertise a higher number, Porsche reserves some battery capacity so you can set it to 100%)
1. Tesla doesn't SUGGEST an 85% charge level for daily driving. Its 90%.

2. Tesla doesn't suggest this charge point because they are "reckless with resiliency". Its about battery chemistry. Its "easier" on the batteries (and the owner) to only charge to 90%. As you get closer to 100% the charging rate decreases significantly. That last 10% takes a comparatively longer time. If you don't need that last 10%, reducing your charging target may also help extend the life of the batteries. This is true for ALL batteries (Porsche or Tesla). The illustration that Tesla uses is "filling a glass of water". Getting the water level perfectly to the rim (without overflow) takes longer as you have to slow down at the very end of "the pour"...

As a long term Tesla owner, I can tell you that most of us simply set our charge limit to 90% and forget it. I also plug in my car whenever its parked in the garage. Doesn't matter if I just drove to/from work or simply pulled it out of the garage to wash it. When its in the garage, its plugged in. I only temporarily change the charge limit (to 100%) if I have a long trip coming up the next day (maybe 6 times per year).

Owning (and charging) an EV doesn't need to be complicated. Its actually much more convenient (than ICE) if you can charge overnight at home.

Last edited:

LivingWithPorsches

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan 4S (July '20), ‘66 Porsche 912, ‘11 987 Spyder
Country flag
I had a friend who owns a Tesla tell me you should not recharge the battery daily. Is that bad info? I get the 85% issue, but is it damaging to recharge your batteries daily back up to 85%?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I had a friend who owns a Tesla tell me you should not recharge the battery daily. Is that bad info? I get the 85% issue, but is it damaging to recharge your batteries daily back up to 85%?
That is absolutely incorrect. Your friend is wrong. Tesla officially recommends always having the car plugged in. Their slogan is "A plugged in Tesla is a Happy Tesla".

The Taycan will be my fourth EV. ***ALL*** my EV's have ALWAYS been plugged in whenever they are in the garage. This includes my Model X (for the past 5 years), my BMW i8, and also a Chevy Volt we had a while back. I do not plan on treating my Taycan any differently. Its all about the convenience. Just set the charge level to 85% (90% for Tesla) and plug it in whenever its parked. Done.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Agree here. Plug it in at every chance to 85%. High & low SOC are not good for the battery.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Even after reading every post I still don’t totally understand how to set this to 85%. I found the profiles and it says “general charging”. It has a option for minimum charge but not maximum? Having owned 5 Teslas in the past and one currently I find it quite amazing that if Porsche recommended charging to 85% they make it so unintuitive to set this?!?!

I’d be happy with the step by step here. Thanks

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
Even after reading every post I still don’t totally understand how to set this to 85%. I found the profiles and it says “general charging”. It has a option for minimum charge but not maximum? Having owned 5 Teslas in the past and one currently I find it quite amazing that if Porsche recommended charging to 85% they make it so unintuitive to set this?!?!

I’d be happy with the step by step here. Thanks
Really not intuitive.
In English, we consider that a maximum.
For "general charging," the "minimum" charge of 85 means to charge to at least 85 and then stop.
Almost sense if you think of it that way.
Sponsored