How to set to profile to only charge to 85%

ndw8790

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
many
Country flag
My car always starts warm as it sits in a heated garage.
Gee, well, sorry, that explains a lot.

You are absolutely right in that case when you heat your garage at 22°C.

Sorry that I didn't think about the possibility that some people anno 2021 are appearently not aware about some issues, like e.g. global warming, which makes most people think about reducing useless energy consumption.

Sorry, truely sorry. My mistake.
Sponsored

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag

Sorry that I didn't think about the possibility that some people anno 2021 are appearently not aware about some issues, like e.g. global warming, which makes most people think about reducing useless energy consumption.

In Ed’s defense (heaven forbid ?) a vehicle kept in a controlled environment lasts longer. If it stayed in use one year longer, the environment would be far better than scrapping it earlier.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag

Yeah, and all those a$$holes who apparently live in climates which don't require heated garages (Florida? California?)! They don't need to pre-condition either. You must hate them too!

You know nothing about what is kept in my garage, how its insulated, how its heated, or why. Who are you to decide what is "useless energy consumption" in my house? I have shop equipment (like a CNC Water Jet) and consumables in a WORKING garage which must be maintained at temps above freezing. I also work on my vehicles in the garage. My garage is a working garage.

...and I don't heat my garage to 22c. I keep it at 50f (10c) unless I am going out to do some work. But apparently, you think you know something you don't.

I also have three wood burning inserts to help heat my home, shop, and garage. But I guess you knew that. Right? You are apparently an expert on my relationship with the environment, so I don't have to tell you any of this...

I don't know what kind of shambled, run-down, barn-door-flappin-in-the-wind kind of animal shelters you are using for garages in Belgium but my garage has fully insulated doors, walls, and double pane thermal glass in the windows. It may actually be better insulated than my living room!

None of this matters as it is none of your business and no one should have to defend heating their garage cause you think you know MANY things you don't.

But, yeah, I guess I'm some sort of eco-criminal cause I heat my garage. (...even though I haven't burned a drop of fossil fuel since at least last March). I guess that makes Jay Leno some sort of super-villain!

I do sleep with the heat off in my bedroom, so hopefully that makes you feel better.

Last edited:

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
I don't know what kind of shambled, run-down, barn-door-flappin-in-the-wind kind of animal shelters you are using for garages in Belgium but my garage has fully insulated doors, walls, and double pane thermal glass in the windows. It may actually be better insulated than my living room!
I live in Belgium and have a nice, heated, garage. Yes, they certainly exist! ? ? ??

ndw8790

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
many
Country flag
haha Ed, you are such a funny guy, really !

But actually... you have got it *completely wrong* ... again... *LOL*

...and I don't heat my garage to 22c. I keep it at 50f (10c) unless I am going out to do some work.
20 to 30°C is the battery temperature for optimum performance/range/battery life/...

With only 10°C in your garage, you're still way off that point.

So again (and it is really not complicated at all) :

Set the general profile for the charge you want to have asap when you plug in your car. If that charge level or optimal charge moments vary according to your location, create extra location based profiles.

If you have a more or less fixed schedule, use the timers. Your car will be ready and the battery will be nicely warmed up for optimum action.

If she ain't heated up well enough, you won't be able to play hard enough :-DD

Last edited:

ndw8790

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
many
Country flag
In Ed’s defense (heaven forbid ?) a vehicle kept in a controlled environment lasts longer. If it stayed in use one year longer, the environment would be far better than scrapping it earlier.
I think it's more important to keep the garage dry instead of warm. I have two classic 911s in my garage and I put my heatpump boiler there, which dehumidifies air.

My Taycan sleeps outside ;-) At the end, it's just commodity car which is produced in high numbers and will not hold value anyway. Plus, the wifey saw some examples of EV's going into flames, and she doesn't believe me when I say it probablyhas more to do with bad wiring than with the car itself...

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I think it's more important to keep the garage dry instead of warm. I have two classic 911s in my garage and I put my heatpump boiler there, which dehumidifies air.

My Taycan sleeps outside ;-) At the end, it's just commodity car which is produced in high numbers and will not hold value anyway. Plus, the wifey saw some examples of EV's going into flames, and she doesn't believe me when I say it probablyhas more to do with bad wiring than with the car itself...
Agree; warm, moist, and mold are not a good thing - the reason airplanes stored in the US are sent to the desert.

Flexible parts, rubber or synthetic, bother me the most with older cars, especially in the suspension and steering. Like tires, after 6 or 7 years they do not perform well. Am now in the habit of replacing all flexible suspension parts when it is time to replace shocks - makes an amazing difference. Especially important to me when giving a car to a family member. Use a good suspension shop, especially if they work on race cars.

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Agree; warm, moist, and mold are not a good thing - the reason airplanes stored in the US are sent to the desert.

Flexible parts, rubber or synthetic, bother me the most with older cars, especially in the suspension and steering. Like tires, after 6 or 7 years they do not perform well. Am now in the habit of replacing all flexible suspension parts when it is time to replace shocks - makes an amazing difference. Especially important to me when giving a car to a family member. Use a good suspension shop, especially if they work on race cars.
There is little need to dehumidify the air in Winter (when us eco-criminals usually HEAT our garages).

Typically, the problem is exactly the opposite. That is why many people run humidifiers (NOT dehumidifiers) in the Winter. The colder air in the Winter is usually much drier than the warm Summer air. Colder air simply can't hold as much water vapor than warm air and then when you heat it up its very, very, dry. The RH (relative humidity) plummets as the air is warmed.

But what do I know...

911mantas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo
Country flag
Is there a way to limit DC charging for example to 85%?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is there a way to limit DC charging for example to 85%?
In 2021 models they added ability to limit charging speed to 200kW, but there is no current interface to limit charging limit within the car. However, for USA customers using the Charging NA app there is a Settings parameter to set charging time limit. So you can set that but then you need to worry about if there are idle fees so I keep that setting turned off.

With whatever technique you can stop the charger, a key feature would be that the car would unlock the plug so another user would be able to use it. Although the issue with fast chargers is they usually have short cables and thus another car would not be able to use it even if the plug were unlocked without getting way too close to your vehicle. So the bottom line is you need to get back to your car when it reaches a percentage. Automatic notification via text message would be nice, for now I open the Porsche app and watch the charging level there to decide my return time.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
If you want to plug the charging cable in at 19:00 but it not start charging until midnight and only charge to 85% assume Timer is the solution? The min charge profile will kick it off straight away so no use?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
If you want to plug the charging cable in at 19:00 but it not start charging until midnight and only charge to 85% assume Timer is the solution? The min charge profile will kick it off straight away so no use?
Yes, but it will still charge to 25% (…if you’re below 25%) as soon as you plug it in, regardless of settings.

And the Timer will control when it stops to reach the target charge at your departure time. When it starts depends on what it will take to reach those settings. So, there’s no guarantee it doesn’t start before 12.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Timers and profiles do not affect DC fast charging. When you plug into a DC fast charger, it will start immediately and charge until 100% or you stop the charging session.
Sponsored