How to set to profile to only charge to 85%

rcs1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Targa GTS
Country flag
Hi,

In my Settings, Charging, Profiles there is a setting for the percentage it should reach as fast as possible (25%), but no "maximum" charge option. My understanding is that I should aim for 85% maximum charge in day-to-day operation, but there doesn't seem to be a choice for that, and it therefore wants to charge to 100% every time I plug in.

What am I missing?

Thanks Robert
Sponsored

UroDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
812 Superfast; AMG GT 53; Taycan 4S; DB11
Country flag
The only way to specify a maximum is using a timer - set a profile there for everyday, select time (7 am - 6:59 am) and there you can set max 85%.

One of the quirks of the Porsche PCM!

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
This is incorrect. The percentage set in the profiles is a target charge which is effectively a maximum. If you set it to 85% and the car is below 85%, it will charge to 85% and then stop.

This is how I charge, and when I want to go to 100% I press the direct charge button (which overrides the default profile).

Timers are ONLY needed if you want your charging to happen at a specific time. Perhaps due to electricity cost. Or strained fuses at your house. Or some other reason unknown to me. But in no way are timers needed for what you're describing here.

I charge like that daily but have never used timers.

Last edited:

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
This is incorrect. The percentage set in the profiles is a target charge which is effectively a maximum. If you set it to 85% and the car is below 85%, it will charge to 85% and then stop.

This is how I charge, and when I want to go to 100% I press the direct charge button (which overrides the default profile).

Timers are ONLY needed if you want your charging to happen at a specific time. Perhaps due to electricity cost. Or strained fuses at your house. Or some other reason unknown to me. But in no way are timers needed for what you're describing here.

So when it’s not a timer profile, do you mean you set a minimum 85% in a ‘normal’ profile? Is there a button you press for direct the night before a road trip for example?

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
So when it’s not a timer profile, do you mean you set a minimum 85% in a ‘normal’ profile? Is there a button you press for direct the night before a road trip for example?
Yes. A normal profile with the "minimum". The naming can be a bit confusing, but in a sense one can think of it as a minimum. Or maximum. Or a target. But what actually happens is that it charges to that number and then stops.

The button to override the profile and to charge straight to 100% is in the main charging interface where one can see the charge level and how fast one is charging (accessed from the screen where one controls the AC stuff and also opens up automatically when you start charging).

There you have 2 large buttons at the bottom "Direct Charging" and "Preheat/cool". The former is the 100% charge button (direct charging means overriding all profiles). Latter enables cabin cooling/heating while charging & car locked.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. A normal profile with the "minimum". The naming can be a bit confusing, but in a sense one can think of it as a minimum. Or maximum. Or a target. But what actually happens is that it charges to that number and then stops.

The button to override the profile and to charge straight to 100% is in the main charging interface where one can see the charge level and how fast one is charging (accessed from the screen where one controls the AC stuff and also opens up automatically when you start charging).

There you have 2 large buttons at the bottom "Direct Charging" and "Preheat/cool". The former is the 100% charge button (direct charging means overriding all profiles). Latter enables cabin cooling/heating while charging & car locked.
Brilliant. Totally understand. Thank you for the confirmation.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Sorry just to clarify a bit more here. The 85% is a target charge and not a minimum. The minimum charge can be set but in standard it seems to be set to 25%. If you have a charger with say 11 kW then you can set a target charge of 85% to be achieved at say 17.00 hours. If you park the car at say 09.00and the car has say 50 % charge left, it will calculate when the charging should start and be finished by 17.00. If the car is below 25% then it will start directly and charge to 25% and pause there. It will then resume charging so that it is charged at 85% at 17.00.

Atleast that is how my car charges and also the way it is described in the manual.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry just to clarify a bit more here. The 85% is a target charge and not a minimum. The minimum charge can be set but in standard it seems to be set to 25%. If you have a charger with say 11 kW then you can set a target charge of 85% to be achieved at say 17.00 hours. If you park the car at say 09.00and the car has say 50 % charge left, it will calculate when the charging should start and be finished by 17.00. If the car is below 25% then it will start directly and charge to 25% and pause there. It will then resume charging so that it is charged at 85% at 17.00.

Atleast that is how my car charges and also the way it is described in the manual.
Sounds like that is a timed profile, the normal profile allows you to set the minimum charge, which should really be called a target SOC.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like that is a timed profile, the normal profile allows you to set the minimum charge, which should really be called a target SOC.
Yes you are correct it is a timed profile. But my general profile is also activated and gives the result I stated. See photo,
Porsche Taycan How to set to profile to only charge to 85% 7CECBE43-AE37-4DFC-A942-8D60167D27E7

Porsche Taycan How to set to profile to only charge to 85% B02564F8-DF89-498A-960F-F20B8DC9D5B7

The benefit I see in this approach is that I can set the precool or heat for wintertime to be at the time I want to depart. The heating or cooling Power is then taking the from the supply and not from my battery.

And in the general charging I can set the minimum charging between 25% lowest up to 100% if I so wish

Porsche Taycan How to set to profile to only charge to 85% ACAF4E52-35D5-4248-AC81-79EFBC8F8F59
Porsche Taycan How to set to profile to only charge to 85% CF99A243-E807-482F-90D1-5455FE2A9BB4

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Timed profile must override the normal profile then. Delete the timed profile and set a Daily drive 85% & a Road trip profile at 100%. Assume you can have more than one profile. Just to be clear, I'm learning here as well. I dont have a car yet. Thanks for the pics, seems straightforward enough.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think it actually is the other way around? See photo.. For me the main thing is that it works fine! And I do not want to risk any experience like @louv with the 12 volt battery. So I leave it in peace.
Porsche Taycan How to set to profile to only charge to 85% 540F77CF-4492-42CD-8DD9-E2ED16913F15

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think it actually is the other way around? See photo.. For me the main thing is that it works fine! And I do not want to risk any experience like @louv with the 12 volt battery. So I leave it in peace.
540F77CF-4492-42CD-8DD9-E2ED16913F15.jpeg
Ah okay, so for me I will only use timed profile to heat the car in the morning, ready for the drive to work. Unticking the charge box.
So the minimum charge in the profiles have the priority. So if the normal profile was set for 50% and timed at 85% the normal profile will take precedence. That would mean the timed profile never really comes into play. I guess some people will use timed to take advantage of cheaper overnight KW charges maybe. If that was the case then they would set a timed only profile. I think I get this, be easier once I have PCM to play with.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah okay, so for me I will only use timed profile to heat the car in the morning, ready for the drive to work. Unticking the charge box.
So the minimum charge in the profiles have the priority. So if the normal profile was set for 50% and timed at 85% the normal profile will take precedence. That would mean the timed profile never really comes into play. I guess some people will use timed to take advantage of cheaper overnight KW charges maybe. If that was the case then they would set a timed only profile. I think I get this, be easier once I have PCM to play with.
Yes it will be easier when you have the car! It is not the best user interface. A bit too complicated in my view and I can not really understand the reasons behind it. Yes you will be able to get the car charged at low cost periods etc, but that seems to involve the Porsche Home Energy Manager, which was some 560 Euros extra. The instructions for that one was even more fuzzy than the charger instructions. The electricians managed to get it to work he says , “ but please do not ask me for any further programming?”” :angry:
There were challenges I believe.
But all works fine now, so quite pleased with it all.

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag
I was under the impression Porsche reserves a portion of the battery to keep it safe and their 100% is not ACTUALLY 100% like it is with Tesla, therefore you can keep it to 100% by default and not worry about the misleading 85%. (ie Tesla requires you to set 85% as they are more reckless with resiliency and want to advertise a higher number, Porsche reserves some battery capacity so you can set it to 100%)
Sponsored