How to set to profile to only charge to 85%

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was under the impression Porsche reserves a portion of the battery to keep it safe and their 100% is not ACTUALLY 100% like it is with Tesla, therefore you can keep it to 100% by default and not worry about the misleading 85%. (ie Tesla requires you to set 85% as they are more reckless with resiliency and want to advertise a higher number, Porsche reserves some battery capacity so you can set it to 100%)

The Taycan manual suggests 85% for day to day use.
That top buffer you mentioned seems to be on top of that.
Sponsored

UroDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
812 Superfast; AMG GT 53; Taycan 4S; DB11
Country flag
This is incorrect. The percentage set in the profiles is a target charge which is effectively a maximum. If you set it to 85% and the car is below 85%, it will charge to 85% and then stop.

This is how I charge, and when I want to go to 100% I press the direct charge button (which overrides the default profile).

Timers are ONLY needed if you want your charging to happen at a specific time. Perhaps due to electricity cost. Or strained fuses at your house. Or some other reason unknown to me. But in no way are timers needed for what you're describing here.

I charge like that daily but have never used timers.
That does not seem to be the case with the US PCM/Charging Profiles.
Setting minimum to 85% starts charging as soon a plugged in (since usually less than 85%) and goes up to 100%
Setting at 25% starts only if less than 25% - still goes to 100%
Are there some other settings you are using?

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
That does not seem to be the case with the US PCM/Charging Profiles.
Setting minimum to 85% starts charging as soon a plugged in (since usually less than 85%) and goes up to 100%
Setting at 25% starts only if less than 25% - still goes to 100%
Are there some other settings you are using?
I'm not. But I think you may be. As that charging behaviour makes no sense otherwise.

The profile will be overriden if you have "direct charging" active. So make sure that button is not activated on the charging status screen. Direct charging means "ignore profiles and charge to 100%".

Other reason this could be happening is if you have a timer set to charge to 100% which may override the regular profile set to 85%. But my best guess is the direct charging setting.

This is quite likely since I've noticed that the recently used "direct charging" setting remains. And with any DC public chargers it will always switch to ON automatically! Meaning next time at home I need to switch it off if I want my profile to work.

This is just one of those small annoyances with the car. Not a big one as it's so easy to see if direct charging is on or not. But something to keep in mind.

DragonRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Had a Taycan TTS, now have an Aston DBS, RR SVR, F-Type S, Ford Ranger Wildcat
Country flag
I was under the impression Porsche reserves a portion of the battery to keep it safe and their 100% is not ACTUALLY 100% like it is with Tesla, therefore you can keep it to 100% by default and not worry about the misleading 85%. (ie Tesla requires you to set 85% as they are more reckless with resiliency and want to advertise a higher number, Porsche reserves some battery capacity so you can set it to 100%)
This is exactly the impression I was under too but this doesn't seem to be the case. The dealer was charging their demo to 85%, the Porsche website says this when setting up the timer profiles:

Charge
Target state of charge 85%
In order to optimise the service life of your battery, you should charge only up to a level of 85%.

It is one of my current "niggles."

What will happen if I go to 90%? 100%? Every day.. some days.. and so on. Will I lose a month of life? A year?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
This is exactly the impression I was under too but this doesn't seem to be the case. The dealer was charging their demo to 85%, the Porsche website says this when setting up the timer profiles:

Charge
Target state of charge 85%
In order to optimise the service life of your battery, you should charge only up to a level of 85%.

It is one of my current "niggles."

What will happen if I go to 90%? 100%? Every day.. some days.. and so on. Will I lose a month of life? A year?
No, you might a lose a little bit more capacity faster than the rest. But that is all just guessing. How much how fast you lose capacity might has more to do with how often and how fast you charge.

I will not bother with this and always charge to 100%...

Last edited:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Yes, I'm under the same impression. It doesn't make any sense to release a car that should only be charged to 85%. I plan on leaving my car parked in my garage and hopefully having 100% charge every morning.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I do not know where the "reserve at top" story started; it may be true, but I have not seen any Porsche document suggesting that is the case. On the contrary, the rapidly declining charging speed when approaching 100% suggests the battery is getting close to maximal capacity, and therefore my best guess is that 100% means 100%.

Just like Tesla, there is a minimum charge that is not accessible - the famous below 0%. That is kept in order to prevent bricking the battery.

I would seriously doubt Porsche was so noble as to forego bragging rights (i.e., larger pack, longer range) just to protect their customers..... The fact that they specifically say charge to 85% in the manual suggests the opposite. Nothing wrong with their approach, I think every company would have done exactly the same.

For the daily charge, I set it to 85%. Unless you have a trip or long commute, I doubt you will need the remaining 15%. And for those times when I plan a trip, I charge to 100% using a separate profile the evening before. I could not care about the battery life since I will return the car in 3 years, but charging to 85% is no inconvenience to me. People with long commute will probably feel different.

Now take worst case scenario: you suddenly need to go on a trip and your car is only charged to 85% (happened to me in the Tesla - albeit at 90% which is the highest daily charge recommended). It was remarkable how very little I missed the 10%; I had exactly the same number of stops at superchargers - and those 10% came up so quickly at the bottom end I could not even notice. I surely hope it would be exactly the same in the Porsche - once their charging infrastructure is fully deployed.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I do not know where the "reserve at top" story started; it may be true, but I have not seen any Porsche document suggesting that is the case. On the contrary, the rapidly declining charging speed when approaching 100% suggests the battery is getting close to maximal capacity, and therefore my best guess is that 100% means 100%.
If the displayed 100% SOC is truly 100% SOC, the recuperation brakes have no place to dump the energy - you are using the disc brakes.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
If the displayed 100% SOC is truly 100% SOC, the recuperation brakes have no place to dump the energy - you are using the disc brakes.
Correct. However, with the Taycan implementation of braking, I just cannot tell when the charging ends and the discs take over. I have a gentle downslope from our house to the main road. I have to gently brake, and do a full stop at the bottom; I am pretty sure that the full stop engages the disc brakes (I don't drive it for hypermiling.....). When I do that stop, nothing changes on the green bar - in fact it plots larger. My point is, it is not because you have a green bar displayed that you necessarily are charging.

With the Tesla one pedal drive it was easy to tell - since regen depended of the state of charge, there would be no regen at 100% - i.e., car kept accelerating on the slope rather than maintaining speed. With the Taycan it is hard to tell.

I will do an experiment - downslope at 100% and see consumption at the bottom of the road vs downslope at 85%. If I am correct, the usage will be significantly higher when starting 100%. Will let you guys know.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Gents,

The amount of capacity is displayed on "technical specifications" on Porsche configurator:
Porsche Taycan How to set to profile to only charge to 85% 1596385790885

So yeah, charge to 100% and you still have 10%-ish left for battery safety.

Still, Porsche recommends (as per the manual) to charge to 85% for daily use.

They also state that charging to 100% before a roadtrip is not an issue.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I’d suspect a top and bottom buffer that the BMS will use to ensure battery safety. 85% is highly recommended for daily use. On the small road trip I just did I just hut the direct charging button a few hours before my journey, I would have been better having a timed profile for my road trip so I’m going to try that next time. That way 100% soc is kept to a minimum.

DragonRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Just like Tesla, there is a minimum charge that is not accessible - the famous below 0%. That is kept in order to prevent bricking the battery.

I would seriously doubt Porsche was so noble as to forego bragging rights (i.e., larger pack, longer range) just to protect their customers..... The fact that they specifically say charge to 85% in the manual suggests the opposite. Nothing wrong with their approach, I think every company would have done exactly the same.

For the daily charge, I set it to 85%. Unless you have a trip or long commute, I doubt you will need the remaining 15%. And for those times when I plan a trip, I charge to 100% using a separate profile the evening before. I could not care about the battery life since I will return the car in 3 years, but charging to 85% is no inconvenience to me. People with long commute will probably feel different.

Now take worst case scenario: you suddenly need to go on a trip and your car is only charged to 85% (happened to me in the Tesla - albeit at 90% which is the highest daily charge recommended). It was remarkable how very little I missed the 10%; I had exactly the same number of stops at superchargers - and those 10% came up so quickly at the bottom end I could not even notice. I surely hope it would be exactly the same in the Porsche - once their charging infrastructure is fully deployed.
It is mentioned as 83.7 kwh (actual usuable) on several sites but finding a good source was more tricky until I noticed it in the current brochure!.

Porsche Taycan How to set to profile to only charge to 85% 2020-08-02

Source: https://www.porsche.si/sites/www.porsche-si.si/files/taycan_brochure.pdf

So it seems to be true that Porsche hold batteries in reserve in one way or another.

However, overall I agree that 85% isn't a major problem it is just slightly irritating.

EDIT: Apologies Gubbjaevel you beat me to it!

Last edited:

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
It’s really not irritating at all. Just set a daily profile to 85%, for a road trip you might want more, if you do just hit direct charge button. The 15% difference won’t make any difference overall on a road trip. Especially on the 350 kw chargers. Maybe Porsche might release more capacity on the battery as they understand the chemistry of the battery after some cycles.

DragonRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s really not irritating at all. Just set a daily profile to 85%, for a road trip you might want more, if you do just hit direct charge button. The 15% difference won’t make any difference overall on a road trip. Especially on the 350 kw chargers. Maybe Porsche might release more capacity on the battery as they understand the chemistry of the battery after some cycles.
Once there are plenty of the 350w chargers I totally agree but there aren't that many at all at the moment. I don't do many long trips but I don't always know much in advance that one will be needed. As mentioned it is slightly irritating for me but I have other vehicles so really it is yet another 1st world problem!

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Gents,

The amount of capacity is displayed on "technical specifications" on Porsche configurator:
1596385790885.png

So yeah, charge to 100% and you still have 10%-ish left for battery safety.

Still, Porsche recommends (as per the manual) to charge to 85% for daily use.

They also state that charging to 100% before a roadtrip is not an issue.

So no, you don't. That document needs to be updated. Many here and elsewhere have reported battery availability at close to 90 kWh. Porsche decided at one point in time to allow more of the battery available for use. If there ever was a top buffer, my guess is that was the time when it got cancelled / severely diminished.