First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Nope, not an issue!

Yes, it will reach 100% and then stop charging. That is exactly the point.

What people seem to NOT understand is that Just because the car is "plugged in" does not mean it is actively "charging".
Understand that perfectly but the battery should not stand for long charged at 100% . That is NOT recommended.
Sponsored

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Agree with almost all said by @evanevery. One issue for me - had twice the car charge to 100% despite the profile being set to 85%.

This was my experience as well. If I had a Profile enabled it would ignore whatever Profile target or Timer target was set, and move to charge to 100%, so I just use a Timer only. After trying different permutations I found that using a Profile was the common factor for me to encounter this.

So not only is the charging setup on the Taycan far more complicated than it needs to be, it may not always work the way it was intended (I believe Profile does work for some).

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I have a profile and timer that I named "trip". They are set to 100% with departure time that I change according to next day's plan. That way 100% is achieved shortly before actual departure.
... again, you don't need a profile or a timer to do this. Just select "Direct Charging" the night before your trip.

The only reason you really need a timer or profile is if you want to take advantage of lower electrical costs at some point during the night or if you want to pre-condition the environment in your car.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Understand that perfectly but the battery should not stand for long charged at 100% . That is NOT recommended.
Its not an issue at all for occasional overnight charging. Thats not whats considered staying charged at 100% for "a long time". If you left it that way for a week, many times over and over, you MIGHT see some degradation...

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can make this as complicated as you want, but if you ask folks who have been doing this for many years, with many different cars (inc the Taycan) most will tell you exactly the same thing.

Just set the charge level to 85% and plug it in whenever it is parked at your charger. Only ask for 100% ("Direct Charging") the night before a long trip...

Unless you need a timer for preheating/precooling your car or to take advantage of lower electrical rates in the middle of the night you are simply making things far more complicated then they need to be.

EV ownership is actually much more convenient than the care and feeding of an ICE vehicle. You don't need to overthink this...

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Unless you need a timer for preheating/precooling your car or to take advantage of lower electrical rates in the middle of the night you are simply making things far more complicated then they need to be.
That is exactly the point of setting a "trip" profile at 100%. Battery is at optimal temperature just when you leave. Direct charging does the 100% but does not time the warming of the battery. Pre-conditioning of the car can be done few minutes before departure, but will not warm up battery by much - only perhaps few degrees.

Being that EA fast chargers are much more sparse than superchargers, starting with an optimal battery makes a difference. For instance, when I go to Chicago, that difference could be having to stop at the Madison Walmart (not a very nice place) vs Rockford at Sam's club (a much cleaner area, that also includes a restaurant right next to the charging station).

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is exactly the point of setting a "trip" profile at 100%. Battery is at optimal temperature just when you leave. Direct charging does the 100% but does not time the warming of the battery. Pre-conditioning of the car can be done few minutes before departure, but will not warm up battery by much - only perhaps few degrees.

Being that EA fast chargers are much more sparse than superchargers, starting with an optimal battery makes a difference. For instance, when I go to Chicago, that difference could be having to stop at the Madison Walmart (not a very nice place) vs Rockford at Sam's club (a much cleaner area, that also includes a restaurant right next to the charging station).
1. You don't need to warm the battery to use it. Its only warmed to allow charging it at a faster rate.

2. The car will automatically pre-warm the battery for charging as long as a charger is your next stop in the Nav system. You don't have to start out with a pre-warmed battery.

3. Even if you don't have a charger identified as a next stop in the Nav system, the battery will still warm up as you drive the car (although perhaps not optimally for charging).

4. Starting with a "warm" battery will not effectively alter the range of the vehicle (or the distance to your first stop). (Otherwise, EV planners like ABRP would be asking for the battery temp - in addition to initial charge state - at departure)

5. Scheduling a timer for "preconditioning" is generally done for the cabin environment - not the battery.

If you enjoy needless complication then have at it!

Last edited:

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
4. Starting with a "warm" battery will not effectively alter the range of the vehicle (or the distance to your first stop). (Otherwise, EV planners like ABRP would be asking for the battery temp - in addition to initial charge state - at departure)

5. Scheduling a timer for "preconditioning" is generally done for the cabin environment - not the battery.
Gosh, you seem convinced about it, but that is incorrect.... I did measure and posted the results all over this forum (including on this thread - with the link to the original post). So here it is one more time

The two highlighted points are the effect of battery pre-heating and tire inflation to 42 PSI. Consumption is 5% better (over 180 miles) - part of that is less rolling resistance, part a more efficient battery when pre-heated. Just like magic - better efficiency at 32F than at 40F. That translates in a net increase in total range of 20 miles. Since most experienced EV drivers prefer to charge at 10% or less, those 20 miles make the difference.

Porsche Taycan How to set to profile to only charge to 85% 1609626545573

Don't believe me, try yourself by toggling between consumption and temperature when you start with a warm vs cold battery, write down the results - you will see the difference.

Since you had multiple Tesla's you may also remember that regen charging is limited with cold battery. It is the same in Taycan, except you do not notice as easily since the implementation is different.

Preconditioning is done for the cabin. Secondary effect is warming the battery.....

I don't have any say in ABRP, but I would imagine including battery temp in the equation is more challenging, and there is far less experience with that since this is not usually displayed by most EVs. If you prefer to believe that over measured data, so be it....

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nice chart and I respect your math but I don't believe the conclusion is correct. What "temp" is that? Outside temp, or starting battery temp? Outside Temp does make an appreciable difference as keeping the car warm (or cool) consumes appreciable power.

Do you have the complete data table for those plots which would need to show: ambient/environmental temp, battery temp at departure, estimated range, and demonstrated range (to validate)? You would absolutely need to consider both temps (battery and outside ambient) to have enough data to draw a valid conclusion.

If you are comparing range for a 32 degree battery in a 32 degree environment vs a 50 degree battery in a 50 degree environment, then you don't have enough data. I would believe most of the range loss in a colder environment is due to the required cabin conditioning, not the starting temp of the battery. Do you have numbers for a 50 degree battery in a 32 degree environment vs a 32 degree battery in a 32 degree environment?

I've never seen any noticeable difference when starting from a cold garage vs a warm garage and I never preheat/precool any of my EV's.

Maybe the ability for a cold battery to accept regen might be marginally reduced. However, even if it was, I'm not spending much time in regen when I'm on the highway doing a long road trip.

If you've got links from industry respected/established sources which show warming a battery before departure makes any appreciable difference in range, I'ld like to learn from them...

...and not that it matters from the perspective of any benefits achieved from battery warming... ...but I don't think you are correct in stating that "most experienced EV drivers prefer to charge at 10% or less". If you are doing a road trip and waiting for 10% before you take a charge you are setting yourself up for massive failure and inconvenience at some point. My last 1400 mile EV Road Trip, I had 2 whole stations out of service for the 5 I had planned to stop at (each way). The entire station at both of these planned charger stops was completely out of service (despite what PlugShare said). All 4 terminals at one and all 6 terminals at the other. (...and calling EA couldn't get any of them working). As an "experienced EV driver" (4 cars/6 years), if I had planned to charge at 10%, I would have been plugging my travel charger in at some generic 120 or 220v outlet and delaying many additional hours. I had to travel an additional 30-40 miles down the road to the next station to get a charge. (This is where the "Experienced" part comes in...) Planning to charge at 10% on a Road Trip leaves no margin for safety. ...and if you are not talking about charging at 10% on Road Trips then I would also submit that "Most experienced EV drivers" simply plug their cars in whenever they are parked at home (ie every night) and do not wait until the level gets pulled down to 10%. (Unfortunately, folks without home chargers will not be able to benefit from this major convenience).

Last edited:

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Nice chart and I respect your math but I don't believe the conclusion is correct. What "temp" is that? Outside temp, or starting battery temp? Outside Temp does make an appreciable difference as keeping the car warm (or cool) consumes appreciable power.

Do you have the complete data table for those plots which would need to show: ambient/environmental temp, battery temp at departure, estimated range, and demonstrated range (to validate)? You absolutely need to consider both temps to have enough data to draw a valid conclusion.

I've never seen any noticeable difference when starting from a cold garage vs a warm garage and I never preheat/precool any of my EV's.

Maybe the ability for a cold battery to accept regen might be marginally reduced. However, even if it was, I'm not spending much time in regen when I'm on the highway doing a long road trip.

If you've got links from industry respected/established sources which show warming a battery before departure makes any appreciable difference in range, I'ld like to learn from them...
All temps in the table are outside temps. Battery temp for the Taycan without preconditioning is about the temp in the garage - mine is not heated, so usually just ~10F above outside temps in winter, about the same as outside in summer. Most of the trip data is with battery charged to 100% shortly before departure - but not all data.

The reason I started tracking the influence is because I assumed the heat pump will make the Taycan vs Tesla P85D curves diverge at cold temps - but so far just about the same consumption. I then remembered that all Tesla trips were with charging just before starting the trip (no superchargers in Minneapolis area at that time) and with the tire inflation at 42 PSI. That is why I decided to test the higher pressure and the charging just before departure so battery is warm - to see if the Taycan starts getting better.

Porsche Taycan How to set to profile to only charge to 85% 1609635195602

Also a Link here from Tesla on the importance of pre-warming the battery.

Porsche Taycan How to set to profile to only charge to 85% 1609634827941

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All temps in the table are outside temps. Battery temp for the Taycan without preconditioning is about the temp in the garage - mine is not heated, so usually just ~10F above outside temps in winter, about the same as outside in summer.
Then you don't have enough data to draw a quantifiable conclusion. All you are doing is proving that an EV operating in warmer weather will get more effective range than an EV operating in colder weather. I don't think anyone disputes that but the reason is mostly to hold cabin comfort.

I respect that you have a quote from Tesla that says that battery warming can conserve energy. I think the point of contention is whether it is particularly meaningful or even quantifiable.

For me, I'ld rather plug the car in and pretty much forget it rather than fight with all the Porsche Software (and risk a dead 12v battery) for what I expect would be a pretty insignificant range benefit.

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Then you don't have enough data to draw a quantifiable conclusion. All you are doing is proving that an EV operating in warmer weather will get more effective range than an EV operating in colder weather. I don't think anyone disputes that but the reason is mostly to hold cabin comfort.

I respect that you have a quote from Porsche that says that battery warming can conserve energy. I think the point of contention is whether it is particularly meaningful or even quantifiable.

For me, I'ld rather plug the car in and pretty much forget it rather than fight with all the Porsche Software (and risk a dead 12v battery) for what I expect would be a pretty insignificant range benefit.
You may both be right: 1) a preheated battery may improve efficiency (at least over the first ten or twenty miles), and 2) it may be too risky (12V-battery-wise) to use the Porsche Connect timers for a modest range gain.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You may both be right: 1) a preheated battery may improve efficiency (at least over the first ten or twenty miles), and 2) it may be too risky (12V-battery-wise) to use the Porsche Connect timers for a modest range gain.
OK - So lets assume a meaningful 5% gain over the first 10 or 20 miles. (We know the batteries warm up on their own anyway as they are discharged). That's 1 mile gain at best.

Anyone planning their road trips with only a 1 mile "charging margin"?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
OK - So lets assume a meaningful 5% gain over the first 10 or 20 miles. (We know the batteries warm up on their own anyway as they are discharged). That's 1 mile gain at best.

Anyone planning their road trips with only a 1 mile "charging margin"?
It may have a larger impact on the projected range if one usually doesn't drive more than ten or twenty miles a day. However, then such projected range has little practical impact since one typically returns home with a large unspent charge anyway.

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It may have a larger impact on the projected range if one usually doesn't drive more than ten or twenty miles a day. However, then such projected range has little practical impact since once typically returns home with a large unspent charge anyway.
Yeah, but that's kinda where we started this spin off a few messages back...

Specifically: If/Why it might be better to set a 100% timer/profile for pre-trip departures (to warm the battery) vs just selecting the "Direct Charge" option the night before.

IMHO: If you are charging to 100% on a normal nightly basis cause you need the daily range, then you have seriously "undersized" your EV!
Sponsored