How to turn on the glacier blue lights?

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
It should be obvious that they do not offer any functionality because of the other light color option being black. How would black translate into the function of the headlights... darken them? Makes no sense.
Sponsored

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
It should be obvious that they do not offer any functionality because of the other light color option being black. How would black translate into the function of the headlights... darken them? Makes no sense.
when the Taycan was launched one had blue or transparent (standard) as the two
Options. Now we have black.
I knew it they did not light up, but I specced Blue anyway.

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
when the Taycan was launched one had blue or transparent (standard) as the two
Options. Now we have black.
I knew it they did not light up, but I specced Blue anyway.
Me too. Adds a great aesthetic to the vehicle. I got the blue on carrara white which I think will look quite beautiful.

OP
OP
Viv S

Viv S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera/Taycan
Country flag
You're surprised about this from Porsche? :D
This is the same company that charges $2k for in-cabin ventilation SLATS in leather....

FWIW, I think it looks pretty cool when the lights are off.
I mean, I don't mind paying $$$ for something I love and it works... I feel like being misled. But Yes! It looks pretty cool when the lights are off. That's for sure! ?

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
In 1967, a U.S. regulation made it illegal for auto manufacturers to create headlights in which low beams and high beams operate at the same time. It’s called the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108

The lighting elements of matrix ADHLs are made up of several small LEDs and mirrors that are capable of precisely controlling the light beam. This allows the light to be more accurately aimed, illuminating what the driver needs to see without blinding other motorists.

This is more advanced than modern automatic high beam headlamps, which simply revert to the low beam when a car approaches. Adaptive headlights can control the lighting elements to eliminate glare while keeping the rest of the road fully lit – even allowing for the simultaneous use of the car’s low and high beams.

It's this feature that caused a problem for US regulators. A rule dating back to 1967 required headlights to have separate high-beam and low-beam elements that could not be activated simultaneously.

This limitation is reflected in the configurator.

If you order LED-Matrix Design in either Blue or Black in the U.S you get:
  • Headlights in Glacier Blue incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+)
  • Elements in Glacier Blue: Daytime running light trims
  • Dynamic Cornering Light: Dynamic cornering lights swivel the low beam in accordance with cornering characteristics, depending on the steering angle.
  • Speed-Dependent Headlight Range Control: Speed-dependent headlight range control increases light distribution after 3,300 feet at 68 mph or higher, or immediately after 81 mph and above provided the steering wheel is not turned sharply.
  • Sport Mode: Activated in Sport mode - allows for greater swivel angle depending on steering input.
  • High Beam Assistant: When a camera located inside the rear-view mirror detects the headlights of an oncoming vehicle, the high beams are automatically turned off at a distance of approximately 2,600 feet. If the taillights of a vehicle traveling in front are detected, the high beam is then turned off at a distance of approximately 1,300 feet
But: Full LED-Matrix functionality (individual operation of 84 LEDs) is limited for the US market

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The difference in my photo is not a generational thing. Here is a friends 992 turbo without the black option (still has matrix lights although non functional as all us cars) versus mine with the black matrix (also non functional) upgrade.

AF9DAFFE-D29C-428F-91ED-828F10545CFE.jpeg

4B3F0843-0567-4961-8D1D-5F989AC2F4ED.jpeg
The black optioned housing isn't a thing for a Taycan. The blue or black hue option is for the 4 jewel lenses, not the housing.