How to use PCM NAV and CarPlay NAV at the same time?

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
I like seeing NAV guides in the HUD, but I also like using Waze to see other info. In my other cars with CarPlay, I can do both, I set an address with the built-in NAV and also on Waze, and I can see guides in the HUD and Waze on the main screen. Works great. I can decide if I want to follow Waze or built-in, and usually after a certain turns or distance, the guides match up and no issues.

However, when trying this same method on Porsche. It seems to be smart enough to know I'm using NAV on AirPlay and turns off built-in NAV, or if I switched to built-in NAV, it turns off routing on Airplay.

Is PCM and Airplay using the same the GPS info somehow and can't run 2 apps at the same time? I thought AirPlay just displays whatever the iPhone sends it, so all functions are localized to the iPhone. so there should be no GPS interference. And how does PCM software know I'm actually using GPS in AirPlay and shut off built-in NAV. This is weird, and I'm not understanding the reason behind this design decision.

Either I missed a check-box somewhere to allow this, so please educate me. Or I think the designers are thinking way outside the box for some reason.

-ThinkMac-
Sponsored

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Are you wired or wireless? I have had both up, I use wireless.

blulite

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don’t think they use the same GPS. I think it’s a design pheature. They assumed you would want the car to only use one navigation system. But like you, I wish I could get both going at the same time to preheat the batteries on Porsche nav while watching for cop traps on Waze.

One option I did figure out was not connecting to CarPlay. Use the standalone phone for Waze while the car navigates. Kinda sucks, but it works.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ithinkmac

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
bummer, I was afraid of this.

phone screen is small and I don't like adding more mounts to vents or clipping on to center console, etc... Was hoping there's a setting I'm not aware of that can take advantage of the bigger Airplay screen.

Thanks all.

-ThinkMac-

I don’t think they use the same GPS. I think it’s a design pheature, they assumed you would want the car to only use one navigation system. But like you, I wish I could get both going at the same time to preheat the batteries on Porsche nav while watching for cop traps on Waze.

One option I did figure out was nor connecting to CarPlay. Use the standalone phone for Waze while the car navigates. Kinda sucks, but it works.

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
The iPhone uses the car’s GPS when CarPlay is active. For a while my car’s GPS was a few hundred yards (2-3 city blocks) off and as soon as CarPlay turned on, my phones GPS would switch from accurate to the same as shown on the car’s native. Turning off CarPlay immediately fixed the phone’s location but not the car. I reproduced it several times before finally performing an ‘engineering reset’ of the car which fixed it. Interesting failure mode for sure!

I’m also not able to use both in car nav and CarPlay nav at the same time.
Sponsored