How trustworthy is Porsche Innodrive with ALK?

AhsanU

First Name
Ahsan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GT3
Country flag
I’m currently waiting for my local dealership to get an allocation for a Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo, which means I have several months to agonise over spec and what not. I’m currently up in the air about exterior paint (Frozen Berry, Frozen Blue, Mamba Green) - but I’m also wondering if Porsche’s adaptive cruise control is worth optioning.

My wife recently got out of a 2019 Audi A6 and into a 2021 Model Y. I’ve been enjoying the drive as the instant torque is fun, but I’ve also enjoyed Tesla’s adaptive cruise control. I still clench a bit as the Model Y gets close to the car in front, but it always slows down and I’m starting to trust it more. I hated the adaptive cruise in the A6 because it’d slow down to the speed limit every time it would detect one, and I didn’t know how to turn it off. But the Model Y keeps the pace and works great, so I’m finding myself using it more and more.

I suppose I’m wondering if Porsche’s Innodrive with ALK is worth it? It’s several thousand dollars and is something I’m now thinking about optioning. I’ll be driving in the highway a fair bit and adaptive cruise control would be nice. However, I am wondering if anyone had had any bad experiences with it, or any moments where it failed to detect the car in front, etc.

I don’t care much about the lane keep since I don’t think it’ll work well in terrible NYC/upstate roads, but I am primarily interested in Porsche’s ACC/Innodrive.

Does anyone have any thoughts/regrets/anecdotes regarding Innodrive with or without ALK?

Cheers!
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
it’s not very reliable - it will drive you off places that my Model 3 handled quite well - don’t trust it.

Porsche ACC is worth it and the LKA is also ok but not as good as Tesla.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
innodrive is nowhere near as good as tesla's system.
it is in it's element on interstates that are mostly straight. I have used it a little bit and it does it's job but I haven't allowed it to be in control on anything but highways. I certainly would not depend on it on two lane country roads.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I use Innodrive/LKA every time I drive the Taycan, with the speed limit automatic adjustment disabled, and would definitely order that option again. It's not "self driving", but it catches me before I get in trouble without being intrusive. BTW regarding mamba green, it is just stunning, and you will not regret. Here's my Taycan at a cars and coffee event this morning. (Photo credit: Steve Johnson)
Porsche Taycan How trustworthy is Porsche Innodrive with ALK? 487DC6E9-F188-437A-A666-7DE7C90858AB

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Tried it a lot today. It took turns pretty good. Maybe it is struggling with american roads? To me it has worked pretty well so far. Much better than the newest Mercedes lane keeping.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Tried it a lot today. It took turns pretty good. Maybe it is struggling with american roads? To me it has worked pretty well so far. Much better than the newest Mercedes lane keeping.
I never tried it on curves, it would sometimes ping pong back and forth when the lanes were extra wide. I just don't have confidence in it handle curves

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Innodrive isn't that good.
Sometimes it asks me to take over at a pretty easy lane departure to another highway.
If you let it adjust speed by speed signs it doesn't do that properly, very suddenly actually...
It reduces speed before corners but it does that to granny speed.
All in all, I'm a better driver than Innodrive so total useless.
Nice as a gadget but totally not worth the money.
Besides, I like to drive my car, not the other way around... it's a Porsche for Christ sake!
I would just opt ACC, it's all you need.

OP
OP
AhsanU

AhsanU

First Name
Ahsan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GT3
Country flag
Thank you guys for the input, but I’m definitely interested only in the car’s ability to distance itself from the car in front of it. At this point, active lane keep sounds fairly useless, which is why I’m interested only in adaptive cruise control.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
needs improvement, i mean my 2019 mercedes a class has a far superior distance and steering assist
I have a 2020 Mercedes A35 and the Taycan. Driven them both a lot. The Mercedes lane keeping cannot take any curves that are more than a few degrees. I have no idea how you can say it is way better. Maybe it really is different on european roads but the Mercedes is nowhere near Innodrive. I used it yesterday the whole way home and only steered myself at a roundabout. Sharper curves were taken very well by the Taycan. I have tried it with the Mercedes and it just started going straight leaving the road completely. I am not saying it is perfect but people talk like its the worst on the market. That is absolutely not the case. I also never experienced the ping pong while keeping lanes. It must be the much wider lanes in america? God knows these Porsche engineers might me basing all functionalities on german roads.

Pll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I will order ALK as FoD as soon as I can, used Autopilot on my Model 3 everyday for around 100km for two years and loved it. Looking forward to compare it.

@Genau what wheels are these? Looking good!
Edit: found it in another post, Forgeline FU3C-GW!

Last edited:

da2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I will order ALK as FoD as soon as I can.
Is ALK FOD still not buyable?
Will get my car soon and want to buy it aswell as FOD.
my fin is already registrered but i have no option to select ALK and innodrive.
Only "servo steering plus" :(

Pll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I couldn’t find it on the Connect store also so I assume I first have to wait for the update to be installed.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have a 2020 Mercedes A35 and the Taycan. Driven them both a lot. The Mercedes lane keeping cannot take any curves that are more than a few degrees. I have no idea how you can say it is way better. Maybe it really is different on european roads but the Mercedes is nowhere near Innodrive. I used it yesterday the whole way home and only steered myself at a roundabout. Sharper curves were taken very well by the Taycan. I have tried it with the Mercedes and it just started going straight leaving the road completely. I am not saying it is perfect but people talk like its the worst on the market. That is absolutely not the case. I also never experienced the ping pong while keeping lanes. It must be the much wider lanes in america? God knows these Porsche engineers might me basing all functionalities on german roads.
Do you have the full Driver Assistance Pack or just the standard lane keep assist on the A class?