How trustworthy is Porsche Innodrive with ALK?

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Thank you guys for the input, but I’m definitely interested only in the car’s ability to distance itself from the car in front of it. At this point, active lane keep sounds fairly useless, which is why I’m interested only in adaptive cruise control.
ACC is worth it. Also includes auto emergency braking, which is why my wife made me spec it on our 2015 Macan Turbo. I don't use it a lot but it does lower my stress in heavy traffic.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AhsanU

AhsanU

First Name
Ahsan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GT3
Country flag
Thank you guys! I think I’m going to just opt for ACC and not ALK. I’m trying to stay around the $175k range on a Turbo CT and I’ve been flirting with the idea of getting Carmine Red instead of the free paints, which means something’s gotta give. The first to go would be ALK. I was thinking of ditching ACC altogether, which is why I made this thread.

kwrudy123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thank you guys for the input, but I’m definitely interested only in the car’s ability to distance itself from the car in front of it. At this point, active lane keep sounds fairly useless, which is why I’m interested only in adaptive cruise control.
I drove to Bend, Oregon and back to San Diego last year in my Taycan Turbo with only the ACC function in Innodrive turned on. For long stretches of crowded Interstate, it worked flawlessly. You can set the distance you want to maintain from the vehicle in front and it does that well. It really relieves the pressure of acceleration and braking during left-lane driving of long distances. I highly recommend it if you plan to do a lot of distance driving.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Maybe your Porsche has newer software, especially if you dont get that annoying ping-pong effect
I get the ping pong effect when initially setting Innodrive, then it calms down and dies a great job. I drove about 100 miles on a dual carriageway today and it ran really smooth. Post update. MY2020.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I feel like I should record a video or if you guys can show me a clip of how the ping pong looks? I really have not experienced anything like that - or I am too slow to realize it o_O

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag
I feel like I should record a video or if you guys can show me a clip of how the ping pong looks? I really have not experienced anything like that - or I am too slow to realize it o_O
Kinda wondering if people are not enabling steering assist and just using ALK

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
The first to go would be ALK. I was thinking of ditching ACC altogether, which is why I made this thread.
I’d keep the ACC - it does work well and is required for the FoD upgrades if you change your mind about innodrive in the future.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Trust me if it was ping ponging you would know. I think there is some self learning and my 21MY hasn't had the big update yet, so hopefully improves over time

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Are we talking about driving IN town or are we talking about country roads and highways/autobahn? I use it only on country roads and autobahn. No pingpong whatsoever. Will try to record soon.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Are we talking about driving IN town or are we talking about country roads and highways/autobahn? I use it only on country roads and autobahn. No pingpong whatsoever. Will try to record soon.
innodrive works best on an autobahn type road, I wouldn't use it on country roads

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
ha. so reading all that, I dropped my InnoDrive option my the 4S CT order. :)

Will just do FoD when it's out to play with it.

-ThinkMac-

JimBoBel

First Name
Jean-Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Some lessons learned from my hands-on experience....
You need to spec the Adaptative Cruise Control when buying the car otherwise you will not have the required hardware to do a potential FoD update later on.
If you just want your car to adapt to the traffic conditions while you manage the steering ==> adaptative cruise control is all you need. Watch out that the ACC will be pretty "stupid" and just keep you at your desired speed... so it will accelerate entering a roundabout or when the car in front of you takes a turn and disappear from the camera/radar.

If you do want your car to manage its speed smartly (i.e. you put your indicator to turn right, it will slow down, you enter a roundabout, it will adapt its speed), then you need to go for Innodrive.
I just did the FoD update and I'm very pleased with this functionality... NIce side effect, it improves consumption.

If you want your car to stay on its lane, then you need to select the Active Line Keeping. Which is not the same as the basic feature you get with the ACC. I have not purchase this but will certainly give it a go with the free trial period once lockdown will be over and I will be back on the road more frequently.

If you spec the Innodrive at purchase, my understanding is that you do get ACC, Innodrive and ALK in the same package. This explains the price difference with the FoD options.

dragcity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Some lessons learned from my hands-on experience....
You need to spec the Adaptative Cruise Control when buying the car otherwise you will not have the required hardware to do a potential FoD update later on.
If you just want your car to adapt to the traffic conditions while you manage the steering ==> adaptative cruise control is all you need. Watch out that the ACC will be pretty "stupid" and just keep you at your desired speed... so it will accelerate entering a roundabout or when the car in front of you takes a turn and disappear from the camera/radar.

If you do want your car to manage its speed smartly (i.e. you put your indicator to turn right, it will slow down, you enter a roundabout, it will adapt its speed), then you need to go for Innodrive.
I just did the FoD update and I'm very pleased with this functionality... NIce side effect, it improves consumption.

If you want your car to stay on its lane, then you need to select the Active Line Keeping. Which is not the same as the basic feature you get with the ACC. I have not purchase this but will certainly give it a go with the free trial period once lockdown will be over and I will be back on the road more frequently.

If you spec the Innodrive at purchase, my understanding is that you do get ACC, Innodrive and ALK in the same package. This explains the price difference with the FoD options.
Nice so you were able to activate the InnoDrive through FOD?

I'm awaiting my order and have spec'd the ACC and was hoping to try the InnoDrive through FOD to see if it actually works in the real world.

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
I think ACC is enough and would not get Innodrive again.

When people say ping pong is that setting the speed and then the car slows down from the speed you are at, even though you are exactly at the correct speed, and then speeds up again back to where you actually were?

Yup that is really annoying and why I have switched to just using ACC.
Sponsored