HV Battery trouble?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Porsche Taycan HV Battery trouble? 1676885724977

Solid range on full charge mid January 2023.

Porsche Taycan HV Battery trouble? 1676886259807

Then yesterday the range went down a lot. When I was down to 4% (almost home)...

Porsche Taycan HV Battery trouble? 20230219_191308

...the car broke down. Switched off and restarted many time to get out of a tunnel and parked at safe place!

Porsche Taycan HV Battery trouble? 20230219_193808

Dropped it off at the Porsche dealer. They are checking today, but no result so far.

Anyone had the same problem?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Yes. Some threads here about it.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Went to the shop yesterday. Told me that the converter to the HV battery is broken, or the HV battery itself.

They emailed Germany. Waiting. Takes a month, he guessed. Great!

I went into the car and switched it on. Sits there reporting 0% battery but the SoH was still over 93%.

The warranty for the HV battery is decent, but does that include the power electronics? Or do I face a bill like a broken engine of an ICE?

No loaner, of course! Prosche China is amazing, having spent over 220k USD on a 4S.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
OK, I guess that might be end of my journey with the Taycan and maybe even with Porsche...

According to Porsche Germany, the HV battery has a problem and one of the modules needs to be replaced. The module with special parts come from Germany. It'll takes at least 3 months to get it all fixed.

After a week wait, at least I got a Audi A4 as a loaner. Since we are leaving this summer, I most likely will not get the car back before I am gone. When I get it back, it will be sold immediately.

It was a good ride - but it ended prematurely!

In Europe I will drive Mercedes, because the software and driving assistance features are miles ahead. Saw an EQE in a car park today and it looked really good - I guess I am a sucker for rounded shapes! :angel:

Curious what Porsche will come up with in the future. The new Macan looks good, but not sure if it will cut it. A smaller EV sports car with real power - well, that might pull me back...

PS: Have been driving my wife's MS90D quite a bit this week. It is insufferable! It truly drives like a park bench somebody had the crazy idea to stick wheels on. And the software with the tiny symbols, fonts and hard to reach functions like AC on this ever rumbling park bench - infuriating! Luckily we have so much more choice now.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
It's been over 3 weeks. The broken high voltage battery module has been ordered from Germany. Will arrive in about 2 months. It then takes them 3 weeks to fix it.

I guess end of May early June, I can get it back. Frustrating to say the least!

Because the MS90D is such a pile of junk and the loaner I got from Porsche isn't an inspiring ride either, we had a look around:

EQE 350 Advanced Special Edition, produced in China, is fully loaded and comes with a 96.1 kWh battery and 10° rear axle steering. Test drove it quickly. Very quiet ride. Just about powerful enough in city driving.

The real kicker: Price 69k USD (0% interest financing) and the car is ready for pick up in 2 days!

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
It's been over 3 weeks. The broken high voltage battery module has been ordered from Germany. Will arrive in about 2 months. It then takes them 3 weeks to fix it.

I guess end of May early June, I can get it back. Frustrating to say the least!

Because the MS90D is such a pile of junk and the loaner I got from Porsche isn't an inspiring ride either, we had a look around:

EQE 350 Advanced Special Edition, produced in China, is fully loaded and comes with a 96.1 kWh battery and 10° rear axle steering. Test drove it quickly. Very quiet ride. Just about powerful enough in city driving.

The real kicker: Price 69k USD and the car is ready for pick up in 2 days!
But I thought you were leaving in summer? Seems an expensive option for such a short time. Why not keep using the Audi that Porsche provide?

Strange?

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
But I thought you were leaving in summer? Seems an expensive option for such a short time. Why not keep using the Audi that Porsche provide?

Strange?
Porsche Taycan HV Battery trouble? 20230226_172359 (Small)

Well... ...since COVID... ...at least driving the Audi doesn't give me motion sickness! o_O

We turn this into a second home for a few years. Having one decent car, when back for work during school holidays, etc, is not a bad idea.

BMW has also slashed prices on the new i3 all electric made in China.

We also checked out the NIO ET5. Looks nice, but the seating does not work and it looks and feels so reduced, way too much T junk feeling for my taste.

Need to have a look at the Audi Q4 made in China again. Delivery takes 2 weeks. But it felt a bit small inside.

driver69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S 2021
Country flag
That sucks. I remember their promo videos saying that a battery module swap takes 30 minutes thanks to its clever architecture. Now that you’re saying it’s 3 weeks I’m starting to believe it’s not exactly true

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
That sucks. I remember their promo videos saying that a battery module swap takes 30 minutes thanks to its clever architecture. Now that you’re saying it’s 3 weeks I’m starting to believe it’s not exactly true
Porsche Taycan HV Battery trouble? 1681347221888

I can only tell you the little information I have!

Last edited:
OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Talked to the dealer. They needed over 1 month with the help from the mothership to figure out, what the problem was. Then they ordered the parts.

If the car was less than 2 years old, I could ask for a new one. Mine was 2.5 years old when it broke down. Bummer. They will make us an offer to compensate the loss...

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
So strange, after this meeting with the dealer earlier this week, which included warranty, laws, layers, financial compensation and overseas social media, suddenly, I got a much newer Macan as a loaner.

Porsche Taycan HV Battery trouble? 20230422_111752

But even more bizarre: The parts to repair arrived within a few days and are in the shop now. Car should be ready early next week. My wife said, she wants to see the original import documentation of the parts, to make sure this is new from Germany and not some local second hand stuff.

Anyway, we still pushing for them to buy the car back.

OP
OP
feye

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Went to the dealer again, to check the module.

Porsche Taycan HV Battery trouble? 20230423_144359

It was wrapped in a Schenker box, so most likely indeed shipped from Germany.

Porsche Taycan HV Battery trouble? 20230423_144416

What do you guys think, original new or second hand?