JIP1080

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Guys, let's be realistic. Forget about style, bespoke platform, whatever. Porsche has sold more than 123,000 pre-lift 1st gen Taycans globally (source), and any car of that amount won't become collectables. You can think of yours as the best car ever made and that's fine, but don't expect its market value to increase over time.
My other car is a 1970 Mini (1275, RHD imported from the UK). At ~5.3 million produced it begs to differ regarding collectibles and production numbers. Then again, when 5.29 million have rusted to oblivion... 😂 But I do agree with you that it's, at best, a long shot that the Gen 1 Taycan becomes a "collectible."

To the OP's initial post - I liken this to wagon/estate fanatics. There will be a subset of car people who find the Gen 1 Taycan to be just the greatest thing since sliced bread. There will be maaaaaany more who just don't care. I don't see the Taycan having the same underground cult following of, say, the GT-R or E30 M3s. No legends are going to be written about it. It didn't slay giants in rally like a Mini. It wasn't an underground tuning sensation like Godzilla. It didn't feature in classic movies like Bullitt. There just isn't the cultural significance that will push it to a collectible. I say this despite the number of head turns I get every time I drive the car. And I say this as a wagon/estate fanatic who also finds the Gen 1 Taycan ST styling to be the best thing since sliced bread. IMO the new styling looks neutered. It isn't for me. It also isn't FOR me. I like the angrier, more aggressive Gen 1 over the seemingly Polestar-inspired Gen 2. Porsche is out to make money and perhaps they have found a slightly more conservative style will help with that 🤷‍♂️. But it's only going to be a collectible in my mind.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
[…] the market has absolutely tanked for the existing ones.
In that case, sounds like a great idea to buy a used Taycan!
Which is exactly what I did.
Although I did so knowing that it was still a lousy financial idea since I bought it at retail and will probably sell it eventually at wholesale (or at least closer to wholesale than retail if a private party transaction).
Fortunately putting my money instead into the S&P500 over the past three decades has turned out to be a far better financial idea such that I can now not worry about how absurdly expensive buying a triple-digit four-door car with emerging technology will eventually end up being for total ownership cost including decreased resale value at wholesale.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Porsche Taycan GTS (ordered)
Country flag
It's interesting to see various perspectives on the Taycan after the 25 launch. While some express concerns, others are excited about the advancements. It's natural for technology and car models to evolve, and Porsche, like any manufacturer, needs to innovate to stay competitive. Let's remember that earlier Taycan owners were early adopters who helped pave the way for these improvements. Instead of negativity, how can we have a thoughtful discussion about both the excitement surrounding the 25 and the value of earlier Taycan models? Ultimately, a diverse and passionate community like this can support Porsche's continued innovation while appreciating all its vehicles

OP
OP
Redhot2474

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Guys, let's be realistic. Forget about style, bespoke platform, whatever. Porsche has sold more than 123,000 pre-lift 1st gen Taycans globally (source), and any car of that amount won't become collectables. You can think of yours as the best car ever made and that's fine, but don't expect its market value to increase over time.
It's interesting to see various perspectives on the Taycan after the 25 launch. While some express concerns, others are excited about the advancements. It's natural for technology and car models to evolve, and Porsche, like any manufacturer, needs to innovate to stay competitive. Let's remember that earlier Taycan owners were early adopters who helped pave the way for these improvements. Instead of negativity, how can we have a thoughtful discussion about both the excitement surrounding the 25 and the value of earlier Taycan models? Ultimately, a diverse and passionate community like this can support Porsche's continued innovation while appreciating all its vehicles
completely agree , I’m actually psyched about all the improvements and how many people are excited about the Taycan - you take the good with “bad”, it’s how we evolve and innovate . As a person who fell in love with the mission e - I’m just hoping the styling in future remains true to its roots

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think that's hard to predict right now. While scarcity is a huge factor in what becomes collectible years down the road, nobody would have necessarily predicted that cars like the MK1 GTI would eventually, 40 years later, sell for far more than they retailed for when new. Or the popularity of mid-90s sports cars like the RX-7/Supra/S2000. What seems to matter most is nostalgia - for the first car you drove that you loved or the first car that you lusted for when you saw it (i.e., the "poster" car) and the desire to own one once you finally have the means. A time machine to your youth. There's some kid today seeing a Taycan fly by and in 25 years that kid maybe wants to finally own one - in a world full of generic EVs that drive themselves, he wants the experience of owning the first one from Porsche that still feels connected to the experience of driving. Or maybe it's the equivalent of a Gen 1 Cayenne - common, not particularly novel or nostalgic-inducing and expensive to maintain. Who knows - but I tend to think it's more likely the former than the latter (though I think you may start to see 1st gen Cayennes become collectible in the way old Defenders and Land Cruisers are).

Derip88

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
But it depends on where you live…

911-TOUR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 911 Carrera T
Country flag
So I'll be the contrarian here - I think as battery pack upgrades emerge - the Gen 1 Taycan is going to look better and better over time - the design is *much* cleaner in front. By the end of the 1st duty cycle of batteries (10 - 15 years from new), I suspect we will have significant improvements that are plug-n-play. The inverters & motors won't degrade, so suspension and brakes are the only things that will require regular replacement beyond the battery. 30 years from now, a well-maintained Gen 1 Taycan could easily be a 500 mi range car, having had 2 battery packs replaced at a $15K - $30K core-exchange charge. My bet is on hold 'em.

cccmanhattan

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan CT4S
Country flag
So I'll be the contrarian here - I think as battery pack upgrades emerge - the Gen 1 Taycan is going to look better and better over time - the design is *much* cleaner in front. By the end of the 1st duty cycle of batteries (10 - 15 years from new), I suspect we will have significant improvements that are plug-n-play. The inverters & motors won't degrade, so suspension and brakes are the only things that will require regular replacement beyond the battery. 30 years from now, a well-maintained Gen 1 Taycan could easily be a 500 mi range car, having had 2 battery packs replaced at a $15K - $30K core-exchange charge. My bet is on hold 'em.
This is where my head is as well. I love my Taycan CT4S, spec'd it out just the way I wanted it and never thought I'd have the privelage of having such a premium car to call my own, but I definitely have more than a tinge of envy over the new car's increased range, efficiency and performance.

That said, I agree. I'm hoping upgrades will be plenitiful, reasonable and give real performance gains... maybe even be as ubiquitous as putting turbo tie-rods and SSI headers on your base trim g-body 911.

I'll be hanging on to my gen1 mainly because I can't afford to upgrade, but I'll also be looking forward to the day when I get retrofit all the upgrades and have a faster, ligher car with better range than the .2.

Oh, and I'll probably be fitting a 911 S/T front end and some fender flares at that stage too!

Porsche Taycan I’ll say it .. Gen 1 Taycan styling will never get old Screenshot 2024-02-18 6.11.05 PM
Sponsored

Reactions: 007