I’m happy with my standard brakes, but want coated dics

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
So, I got the standard 4s brakes and they look fine, I’m happy with the performance and cosmetics of the calipers, but I want discs that don’t rust after 2 days of humid weather or a wash. Yes after a ride it’s gone, but the rust is by then on the rimbed. Does Porsche have better discs in this size? If so which ones? Not interested to upgrade the whole break system, just the discs in the same size as I got now.
rust….

Porsche Taycan I’m happy with my standard brakes, but want coated dics AB1C0113-9138-43C9-9C9D-22AD7F71F86E
Sponsored

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
This rust is the main reason why I specified PCSB (Porsche Surface Coated Brakes). They even get a mirror-like finish after a while.
Whether you can switch after the car is produced, I have no idea. It is not just the discs that are physically different.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
So, I got the standard 4s brakes and they look fine, I’m happy with the performance and cosmetics of the calipers, but I want discs that don’t rust after 2 days of humid weather or a wash. Yes after a ride it’s gone, but the rust is by then on the rimbed. Does Porsche have better discs in this size? If so which ones? Not interested to upgrade the whole break system, just the discs in the same size as I got now.
rust….

AB1C0113-9138-43C9-9C9D-22AD7F71F86E.jpeg
Steel is steel and it rusts. There are no direct replacement options. There are products you can use after wash to minimize rusting though. I dont think that a brake upgrade is the ideal solution for those seeking to keep their wheels clean though. With all of the brake choices, the brake dust is minimal but you will still have road and traffic film that accumulates on the wheels and calipers within a few days. The bigger brake options make it more difficult to access. I ceramic coated the wheels and calipers….this allows for easy routine maintenance for anything gets on them (dust, rust or general dirt).

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
I'm not sure if you can purchase the PSCB Rotors or not, usually a set of calipers can accommodate slightly different rotor sizes in case you experiment. I literally ordered the PSCB's for this specific reason, I tend to get my car washed via mobile detailer while at work and when I leave at the end of the day with my current car and steel brakes, the rotors are rusted like yours and the wheels are instantaneously covered in rust dust and the car looks dirty that same day to my eyes. It was an expensive option for my specific annoyance, but then again, i'm a little crazy :) I did not in anyway get them for braking performance as the regen generally makes that moot. The pads do contact the rotors on the taycans occasionally regardless of the regen to keep the rotors clear/and dry while driving so the rust does get kicked up.

Wheels are ceramic coated etc, as well to help with cleanup.

OP
OP
Raphie

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
For me it would also solely be cosmetic.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Maybe try Zimmermann? Maybe they are a different alloy or maybe they are the OEM I don’t know.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
My ritual is to wash the wheels before the rest of the car, including inside the barrels, then after all is done I go for a spin around the block and put it in neutral before getting on the brakes. That disables regen and cleans the rotor off. Last step is then wiping down the door sills, etc. and wheels/barrels.

If you’re determined to swap to PSCB rotors and pads, here are the part numbers.
Front/ rear pads 9J1698151H/9J1698451F
Front rotors L/R 9J1615301B/02B
Rear rotors L/R 9J1615601/02

Technically you wouldn’t need to change your calipers since the pad profiles for all Taycan brakes are the same. But you would need custom spacers and longer bolts.

MY20-22 I think spec’d 10 piston white calipers but they cheaped out for MY23 and use a similar 6 piston caliper as the base models (painted and offset for the larger 410/365mm rotors). Similarly, for the early MYs they had different rotor diameters for every level (base, 4S red, PSCBwhite, PCCByellow). They’ve simplified things and put the smaller base rotors (360/358) on the 4S as well. I started tracking all the brake part numbers but it turned out to be a mess…

sveinaan

First Name
Svein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have MY21 4S with PSCB. Calipers are smaller then MY20 PSCB. Same for MY21-23 ?

OP
OP
Raphie

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
I'll ask Porsche, if needing to spend 5k on discs only that have the game size, I'm game.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
My ritual is to wash the wheels before the rest of the car, including inside the barrels, then after all is done I go for a spin around the block and put it in neutral before getting on the brakes. That disables regen and cleans the rotor off. Last step is then wiping down the door sills, etc. and wheels/barrels.

If you’re determined to swap to PSCB rotors and pads, here are the part numbers.
Front/ rear pads 9J1698151H/9J1698451F
Front rotors L/R 9J1615301B/02B
Rear rotors L/R 9J1615601/02

Technically you wouldn’t need to change your calipers since the pad profiles for all Taycan brakes are the same. But you would need custom spacers and longer bolts.

MY20-22 I think spec’d 10 piston white calipers but they cheaped out for MY23 and use a similar 6 piston caliper as the base models (painted and offset for the larger 410/365mm rotors). Similarly, for the early MYs they had different rotor diameters for every level (base, 4S red, PSCBwhite, PCCByellow). They’ve simplified things and put the smaller base rotors (360/358) on the 4S as well. I started tracking all the brake part numbers but it turned out to be a mess…
This cleaning process is a great tip. I always take any of my cars for a spin after washing to dry the brakes. I had a BMW 650 and didn't. Put it into the garage for a month and this ruined all 4 disks causing judder as the rust where the calipers were wouldn't wear off. So since then I've always took the car for a spin. Never thought about regen. So select neutral so no drive then brake yes??

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
So select neutral so no drive then brake yes??
Yes. While coasting put it in neutral then apply the brakes. Avoid putting it in to neutral while you're already on the brake, it is a bit jarring when the motors suddenly disengage and the electric brake booster kicks in.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
Yes. While coasting put it in neutral then apply the brakes. Avoid putting it in to neutral while you're already on the brake, it is a bit jarring when the motors suddenly disengage and the electric brake booster kicks in.
thanks great tip
Sponsored