I’m more optimistic about future Porsche products

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I was recently watching a preview video on YT of the 2024 Porsche Cayenne. It’s getting an updated exterior and a completely new interior. The reviewer was not at liberty to completely unveil the interior but if you look closely at about 2mins in, you can see (drum roll please….) actual hard switches that are integrated with the screen for climate controls!

Personally, I believe Porsche went slightly too far with touchscreens in the Taycan. For me, the approach on the Cayenne would be a great balance between tactile feel/ease of use and tech.

Porsche if you are listening, this is a step in the right direction. 👍
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Big news is there is supposedly a new suspension that’s really good, and the S gets a 4L twin turbo v8

OP
OP
RAHRCR

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Big news is there is supposedly a new suspension that’s really good, and the S gets a 4L twin turbo v8
I am less interested in the Cayenne and more interested in the direction of Porsche design holistically. The integration of physical buttons is important to me. Although, I am a bit surprised that they bothered to develop a new V8.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
I was recently watching a preview video on YT of the 2024 Porsche Cayenne. It’s getting an updated exterior and a completely new interior. The reviewer was not at liberty to completely unveil the interior but if you look closely at about 2mins in, you can see (drum roll please….) actual hard switches that are integrated with the screen for climate controls!

Personally, I believe Porsche went slightly too far with touchscreens in the Taycan. For me, the approach on the Cayenne would be a great balance between tactile feel/ease of use and tech.

Porsche if you are listening, this is a step in the right direction. 👍
Blasphemy! ;) The only physical button that I regularly need to access is the diamond button on the steering wheel when I need to select a new song. I find that all the automatic controls (climate, lighting, etc.) work just fine -- set and forget. Rather than junk up the car with more buttons, knobs, toggles, and other analog controls (like the Toyota/Lexus pictured below) I would recommend that Porsche simply incorporate a few dimples on the center screen glass -- analogous to braille -- so that drivers can feel their way around without taking their eyes off the road.
Porsche Taycan I’m more optimistic about future Porsche products Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 7.02.07 AM

OP
OP
RAHRCR

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Blasphemy! ;) The only physical button that I regularly need to access is the diamond button on the steering wheel when I need to select a new song. I find that all the automatic controls (climate, lighting, etc.) work just fine -- set and forget. Rather than junk up the car with more buttons, knobs, toggles, and other analog controls (like the Toyota/Lexus pictured below) I would recommend that Porsche simply incorporate a few dimples on the center screen glass -- analogous to braille -- so that drivers can feel their way around without taking their eyes off the road.
Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 7.02.07 AM.png
LOL…

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
One thing for sure is that they cannot agree or settle on the interior controls design language, it is a mess from one model to another and from one model year Cayenne to another as it seems. I have a 2020 Cayenne and very happy with the instrument cluster (analog tach gimmick they decided to stick to for this round to scrap it for the next) and the glass panel with some physical toggles executed well and retention of the gear lever (although without a Park gear where you have to press the button on the lever to go into Park...what kind of design language is that), but spared the Start button nonsense for clearly geared transmission.

Now for the 2024, it appears they are transplanting Taycan's instrument cluster with a gear lever and adding the start button to the left (removing the turn knob), adding Passenger screen (ok), but the glass panel now appears to be gone using 911 like row of closely bunched up switches, making it some kind of butchered unicorn. There will not be long to see their creation with the launch scheduled for Spring (typically March).

My point is that there is really no design language across all models, but then at least stick to something practical for a model type like sports cars, SUVs, EVs but blending parts of the interior from one to another is a total mess because it does not seem to belong.

OP
OP
RAHRCR

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One thing for sure is that they cannot agree or settle on the interior controls design language, it is a mess from one model to another and from one model year Cayenne to another as it seems. I have a 2020 Cayenne and very happy with the instrument cluster (analog tach gimmick they decided to stick to for this round to scrap it for the next) and the glass panel with some physical toggles executed well and retention of the gear lever (although without a Park gear where you have to press the button on the lever to go into Park...what kind of design language is that), but spared the Start button nonsense for clearly geared transmission.

Now for the 2024, it appears they are transplanting Taycan's instrument cluster with a gear lever and adding the start button to the left (removing the turn knob), adding Passenger screen (ok), but the glass panel now appears to be gone using 911 like row of closely bunched up switches, making it some kind of butchered unicorn. There will not be long to see their creation with the launch scheduled for Spring (typically March).

My point is that there is really no design language across all models, but then at least stick to something practical for a model type like sports cars, SUVs, EVs but blending parts of the interior from one to another is a total mess because it does not seem to belong.
They are clearly in transition. I am starting to see some common themes as well as some emerging ones. Certainly cant please all of the people all of the time but I am encouraged by the introduction of some traditional Porsche switchgear along with updated tech. The quality and simplicity of Porsche switchgear is one of the reasons I like the product.
Sponsored