I almost missed the option VT6 Door-Sill Guards in Black Brushed Aluminum

Mission4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
With this thread I would like to bring a well hidden option to your attention I almost missed to order for my Taycan 4S (which is pretty much in Mission e style http://www.porsche-code.com/PL7IGQX0).
I am talking about option VT6 "Door-Sill Guards in Black Brushed Aluminum". Let me show how the door entry of the Taycan 4S looks without this option in regular aluminum out of the box.

Open door in 360° viewer of configurator with regular aluminum:
Porsche Taycan I almost missed the option VT6 Door-Sill Guards in Black Brushed Aluminum Door_Sill_Guards_1

Here is the closed door with regular aluminum - please note, that the regular aluminum is still visible from inside even when the door is closed:
Porsche Taycan I almost missed the option VT6 Door-Sill Guards in Black Brushed Aluminum Door_Sill_Guards_2

The question is in case you want to go for a full black interior like I prefer it, if you want to stick with the regular aluminum shining through the closed door. Porsche has a stylish solution for this issue very similar to the exterior option "Window Trim in High Gloss Black" - but this solution is very well hidden in the configurator. In case you open the section "Interior Aluminum" you will find the option "Door-Sill Guards in Black Brushed Aluminum". In case you enable this option the open door will look like this:
Porsche Taycan I almost missed the option VT6 Door-Sill Guards in Black Brushed Aluminum Door_Sill_Guards_3

Closed door with enabled option Door-Sill Guards in Black Brushed Aluminum:
Porsche Taycan I almost missed the option VT6 Door-Sill Guards in Black Brushed Aluminum Door_Sill_Guards_4

Please note, that this option is the only bug I could find inside the Taycan configurator so far. In case you enable "Door-Sill Guards in Black Brushed Aluminum" the static pictures still show the wrong regular aluminum - e.g. the following static picture of the configurator still shows the wrong aluminum on the right bottom corner:
Porsche Taycan I almost missed the option VT6 Door-Sill Guards in Black Brushed Aluminum Door_Sill_Guards_5

To see the correct black brushed aluminum you need to launch the 360° viewer inside the configurator and look at the same place (and maybe open the door to see more detailled the correct black brushed aluminum).

I almost missed to order VT6 Door-Sill Guards in Black Brushed Aluminum and like this smart solution from Porsche very much - I hope all the other Taycan enthusiasts in this forum are aware of the 2 different aluminums (regular and black brushed) now ;)
... and this option is one of the very few things for your Taycan you can get for free!

Last edited:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Your middle screen only shows two rows of icons as opposed to the ridiculous 2-1/2 I've seen on the demo cars. Is the is the solution they've come up with for all production cars??

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Your middle screen only shows two rows of icons as opposed to the ridiculous 2-1/2 I've seen on the demo cars. Is the is the solution they've come up with for all production cars??
Can confirm: 2-1/2 rows.

OP
OP
Mission4S

Mission4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Please note, that all screenshots from this thread are not made with real cars, instead with the Taycan configurator using the 360°/3D viewer feature - inside the 360°/3D viewer of the configurator you can open and close doors, turn on/off head lights, turn the camera to other angles, turn a front wheel to the left and right, zoom in/out, ...
But there might be minor differences between the real Taycan and the 360°/3D viewer of the configurator - regarding the icon rows I don't know if there will be 2 or 2-1/2 rows in the production cars. In October I was sitting during Franfurt motor show inside 3 different real Taycans and I think to remember some had 2-1/2 icon rows back at that time.

Last edited:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Why in the name of all that is remotely sane and reasonable are they doing this? Can anyone offer any kind of logical explanation on why they would cut off the bottom half row of icons intentionally? This is what I saw on the Frankfurt cars and no one could give me an explanation. The icons were also of different sizes, with the top rows larger than the bottom. And then, why would they show something on the configurator that is not representative of the actual car? This is nuts. Below, you can clearly see the top part of the third row of icons on the configurator dated August 22. Now, it appears there are only two rows of icons.

Porsche Taycan I almost missed the option VT6 Door-Sill Guards in Black Brushed Aluminum upload_2019-12-29_22-11-35

Last edited:

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Why in the name of all that is remotely sane and reasonable are they doing this? Can anyone offer any kind of logical explanation on why they would cut off the bottom half row of icons intentionally? This is what I saw on the Frankfurt cars and no one could give me an explanation. The icons were also of different sizes, with the top rows larger than the bottom. And then, why would they show something on the configurator that is not representative of the actual car? This is nuts. Below, you can clearly see the top part of the third row of icons on the configurator dated August 22. Now, it appears there are only two rows of icons.

upload_2019-12-29_22-11-35.png
It’s probably just a user experience hint that there are more functions that the user needs to scroll to view. It might not be obvious enough to some users, so showing the tops of the icons is a small hint to the user that more content is available if they scroll. Apple uses this UX trick in parts of their UI where you need to scroll to see more functions.
Sponsored