I am genuinely shocked by how much attention this car attracts on a daily basis.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The past 2 days I’ve had different Taycans parked nearby in the small parking lot where I grab my morning coffee (on this day it was carmine red; the next one was white like mine). So the novelty is definitely wearing out here in Austin. Impromptu cars and coffee I guess.
Porsche Taycan I am genuinely shocked by how much attention this car attracts on a daily basis. F0185A2D-033F-40F7-9DD5-6582F9305FC3

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
They're definitely becoming more common in CA, particularly in the Bay Area. I'll probably see one every few outings. Think I see more taycan than Merc S classes, which makes sense given where I'm located

Cross Turismo, I've only seen one in the wild (and a second one at a cars and coffee). Anecdotally, it must be like a 10:1 ratio in terms of sedans to CTs on the road.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
I've had my Taycan 4S for 13 months now, and I still get lots of looks. In my city (1.2 million) here in western Canada, there are only 12 Taycans. I know -- I asked the dealer. He knows all the owners.

It's a shock to me when I see another on the road -- doesn't happen very often. I do see a lot of Nissan Leafs, Mustang EVs, Kona EVs, Hyundai Ioniq 5 thingies, and not much else.

Yesterday I actually saw an AUDI e-Tron GT driving home in the afternoon, and that was the 1st one EVER I've seen around here. Have to say, the Taycan looks way more striking. The Audi looked like a regular ICE sports car. Boring.

FWIW I'm selling my recently acquired Tesla Model 3 Long Range, and picking up a brand new GENESIS GV60 Performance+ AWD, it's gonna be tons of fun. 470HP and 0-100 km/h in 3.8 seconds.

Not bad -- almost Taycan territory! Here's a photo of my trusty 2021 Porsche steed, I just love this car.

Porsche Taycan I am genuinely shocked by how much attention this car attracts on a daily basis. __T - 1

yidarmy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is by far the nicest EV on the road. I don't think there is any other comparison. The new MB looks awful. I've owned this for nearly 2 years and I still get the looks. My buddy who drove Ferraris and Lambos ran to the dealer to get a Turbo S Taycan bc he loved the look of it after I got it. ;)

Reactions: B61

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Exactly!!!

I blanked out the "friends of coal" label for a cleaner look, but really I'm way more of a coal supporter

Taycan rear.jpg
I've seen those Friends of Coal/Friends of Climate Change plates from KY and WV and they are indeed ugly as sin. Great job on the alteration -- very sleek. It inspired me to look into whether I too could legally alter my ugly plates to better coordinate with my color scheme, and according the the US Supreme Court (Wooley v. Maynard) we do indeed have a bit of latitude in this regard. Thanks for posting!

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've seen those Friends of Coal/Friends of Climate Change plates from KY and WV and they are indeed ugly as sin. Great job on the alteration -- very sleek. It inspired me to look into whether I too could legally alter my ugly plates to better coordinate with my color scheme, and according the the US Supreme Court (Wooley v. Maynard) we do indeed have a bit of latitude in this regard. Thanks for posting!
Thanks! I used "Plasti-dip" paint, so easy to reverse.
I had the local Sherriff tell me that all he cares about are the unique plate characters. He said coal doesn't give his department any money, so it's not his job to enforce me removing it :)
I guess my approach is much more tactical than yours. Post a pic if you do it.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Thanks! I used "Plasti-dip" paint, so easy to reverse.
I had the local Sherriff tell me that all he cares about are the unique plate characters. He said coal doesn't give his department any money, so it's not his job to enforce me removing it :)
I guess my approach is much more tactical than yours. Post a pic if you do it.
I've never played with Plasti-dip but I now intend to do so! I really like your matte finish versus the shiny (albeit crude) black finish of the original FOC plates. The digital ink on aluminum has no depth whatsoever and clashes with the mirror-like Porsche paint job. I will for sure post my handiwork (and perhaps a pic of the first police officer to write me a citation for my license plate mods) once I perfect my plasti-dip technique. Luckily, I too have a black Taycan (best color ever!); don't think I would have much luck finding Mamba Green plasti-dip at Home Depot.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
A couple of days ago in my 2022 RWD, my wife and I were headed southbound on Loop 202 in southwest Phoenix. As we were passing a minivan, we couldn't help but notice a young boy, perhaps 4, lazily looking out of the rear driver's side window with his chin resting on his left forearm. He waved hi as we passed him, and we waved back.

After a few seconds, the minivan sped up and passed me on the right. The boy lifted his head and gave us a huge smile with a big thumbs up as the minivan exited the freeway.

JonnyG

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I'm in South Jersey, USA and I have only seen two other Taycans on the road since I got mine (2/22). My favorite reaction is when a Porsche owner (some other model) drives by me and almost goes off the road trying to get a look. Ha Ha . . .

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
So the novelty is definitely wearing out here in Austin. Impromptu cars and coffee I guess.
Novelty and scarcity is the main reason why cars get attention. I've been driving Teslas for almost a decade. While they were rare around where I live back in early years (2013-2016), the Teslas got a lot of attention at first (not something I seek, but it is what it is). After a while there were Teslas everywhere, no more attention than a Toyota Camry. But then I drove to a small town in eastern Canada for a family visit, suddenly tons of attention from kids on the street, neighbors, people on the road, etc. I bet today with the Model 3/Y flood even there it would not be an attention getter.

With Porsche having massive issues producing Taycans for the USA, the scarcity factor is till there, though probably depending on where you drive it. Where I live, Taycans are starting to become more common, though not the CT/ST's yet - I've only seen 1 CT on the road and 1 at the dealer since they came out. I guess the silver lining of waiting for my Taycan for so long (since June 2021) will be less attention due to lesser novelty of the car. Almost offsets the price increases and loss of federal tax rebate.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Some Taycans look better than others (wheels/color combo). I wouldn't look twice at a cherry taycan with chrome trim with 19s or sport aero wheels.

There's been debate on the functionality of the charge port cover and whether it's worth to option it, but it's hard to argue that it completes the look of the car.

Last edited:

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
There's been debate on the functionality of the charge port cover and whether it's worth to option it, but it's hard to argue that it completes the look of the car.
I'd argue that it spoils the lines of the car. Porsche should have hidden the opening sensor inside the wheel vent, since it's blocked anyway. This would have kept the nice clean lines.

Last edited:

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Not why we bough ours, but we get loads of compliments as well. Pedestrians even took pictures of ours probably not even knowing we were sitting inside (very dark tint) while parking in a lot. An Audi driver rolled down his window to give us a thumps up, which we returned but then realized he probably couldn't see it.
You got a thump from an Audi driver ? that’s pure jealously!
Sponsored