I ask and answer: Why won't my Taycan Charge as fast as I want it to?

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Thank you for all the info you are sharing with us - much appreciated. As you pointed out, charging issues are just early adopter problems (I hope). Porsche should do OTA updates to the charger maps, it would be ridiculous if they did not considering the rapid expansion plans of Electrify America.[\QUOTE]
I know they are actively updating their lists. How do I know this? I called Customer Support to say my local EA Stations weren’t in the App. Within 10 minutes the stations showed up. Coincidence? Maybe. Buggy? Maybe. Probably a “Hey Marie, can you jump ahead and add the station this crazy guy is parked next to? Somehow he got an early Taycan. Yeah, Thanks!”

Now that you drove around a bit more, what is your Wh/ mile average? I am curious how that compares to Tesla, so I can guestimate my future use in winter here in MN.
I’m still averaging right around 0.5kWh per mile. I’m pretty sure that includes all my preconditioning and sitting in the car learning the software.

Chart from the iOS app. Shows historical consumption rates.

(Notice the bug? :)

Porsche Taycan I ask and answer: Why won't my Taycan Charge as fast as I want it to? E325CF49-2439-4BD4-8942-79BC4674A4A1
Sponsored

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
0.5 KWh /mi is actually OK good considering the weather. For comparison, my wife's Tesla model 3 is currently averaging 0.43 kWh/mi in a not so bad last week (low 20s AM, 30s PM), some snow on the ground - I suspect similar to what you encounter. With that consumption your Taycan will be around 160-170 miles range in winter.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
I'm not quite certain how to read that Jalopnik chart ... Can you give the URL that links to the webpage with that chart? Maybe it's better explained there?

Yeah, there's no excuse for Porsche not supplying software in the car to show the car's ability to charge based on Soc and temperature.

Bobrae99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Interesting. There is so much we don’t know yet about what real world experiences will be like with a Taycan. I live in the Canadian prairies where winter overnight lows can average -22C (-8F) to -30C (-22F). While I park in a heated garage, so charging won’t be a problem, I wonder about range during the winter months. Will I lose 20%, 30% or more?

ThomasDK

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3
Country flag
In my BMW it is minus 35% in winter compared to summer

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Important to take into account the speed. Here in Finland most roads have different speed limits during the winter, as in many 120km/h roads are 100km/h instead and many 100km/h roads are 80km/h instead.

With this difference in mind I have seen some Audi E-tron owners report similar or sometimes even better range during winter time. The reduction in range normally reported does not take this into account, it is assuming similar speeds.

This speed limit difference affects most of the roads from my city so I expect that in country road / highway driving my range will not be significantly lower during the winter. City driving will be most affected by this but that doesn't really matter that much as the car has plenty of extra range for city driving purposes.

But yes, with similar speeds you can expect an approximately 30% reduction. We'll get more data about this as more test driving is done.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Except that (currently) when I ask my Nav for that list , it says "No Results". None found, ever, even if I'm parked next to one.
Interestingly, I've had this actually fill in sometimes. It almost seems like it only fills in when it thinks you need to charge, or are close to needing a charge, but not otherwise.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Interestingly, I've had this actually fill in sometimes. It almost seems like it only fills in when it thinks you need to charge, or are close to needing a charge, but not otherwise.
Recently I have seen this work. But I think I've never seen more than one entry. I'd love to see ALL the entries within driving range. (I guess I should file another "Feature Request" with Porsche)

miglio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s - Cayenne Coupe Hybrid - Carrera S 992
Country flag
But for preconditioning Taycan battery just before charging at best speed I need to buy Porsche Charging Planner or can I live without it and do that?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
But for preconditioning Taycan battery just before charging at best speed I need to buy Porsche Charging Planner or can I live without it and do that?
You don't need the Porsche Charging Planner for preconditioning. You just need to route to a known DCFC in the vehicle nav.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Pre-condition battery by using "sport plus" (actively) for the last 20km.
There - battery pre-conditioned.

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
I know this an old thread but how do you find out your battery temperature and if it's preconditioned or not ? I've not been able to work it out.

I've also parked next to an Ionity (part Porsche owned) charger in the UK and it can't find it to you can't navigate to it to precondition so never get decent charge rates.

tl;dr: Temperature and SoC (State of Charge).

We've all see the "Recharge from 5% to 80% in 22 minutes claims". Well, I haven't been able to experience that yet. And it was bugging me. Why not? Why can't *I* have that much POWER?!?

So I dug back into the manuals. Couldn't find anything useful or specific.
I dug into Porsche's Press Releases. It's probably there, but I couldn't find it there either.
Jalopnik. Here's the data I wanted. I have no doubt this data was handed to all of the Press when they were invited to the Press Introductions of the Turbos and 4S.

I live in Maine. It's winter here. Temperature is my biggest hurdle.

A couple of examples:
Even with some preconditioning my battery temperature was only 39°F after driving to my local grocery store. I plugged into a 50kW EVgo charging station and it talked to the car, then the station said it Failed. Five times. I *think* that was because the battery pack was too cold. But there wasn't any indication, either on the station or from the car, what the reason for the failed charging session was.

I drove the car to another charging station, five miles away, with Preconditioning turned on. By the time I arrived, there was some heat in the battery. 57°F. A 350kW station would now only charge at about 50kW. My SoC to begin with was around 50%.

So I found this chart in the Jalopnik Article: (I modified it slightly)

Taycan Charging Thermal Map.png

A few things here. There was no way I was going to get more than 50kW. The car and battery were just too cold, and my battery pack was at too high state of charge.

I will never see max charge rates unless the battery is Hot, that is, above 25°C/77°F. And the Initial SoC is below 20%. OK then. Now I know.

Getting all 1,389 pounds of the battery pack heated up from 20°F to 77°F is going to take quite a bit of power. I guess it is only realistic if I'm on a road trip. It doesn't make sense just running down to the local grocery store, and heating up the battery, just to bring the SoC from 60 to 80%.

This chart should be stuck on the inside of every windshield. Better yet, the car should say, "Based on your battery SoC and Temperature, your maximum charge rate will be approximately 50kW." That way I don't have to bother going across town for a 350kW charger, if the 50kW charger is close by.

This tidbit is interesting as well.

Charging Planner.png

The Charging Planner would be very helpful. You know... if I even knew where the charging planner was. Or how to use it. I *think* that by using the Nav to find a charger in the "Porsche Charging Service", and then going to it, the Charging Planner automatically kicks in. Except that (currently) when I ask my Nav for that list , it says "No Results". None found, ever, even if I'm parked next to one. Not yet ready for Prime Time. Hopefully this will be fixed by the time most folks get their cars.

IMG_1838 2.jpg

View attachment 2683

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The right "pod" in the driver's display has one of the screens called "Information" that screen can be configured to have one of the lines in it display battery temp. I believe mine did that by default.

What do you consider a "decent" charge rate?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My experience with 2012 Tesla Model S was -20% range (at a given average highway speed) when the temperature dropped from 70s (F) to 20s (F). We don't get much below that here. I have heard from a friend up North that -30% with temps in the teens (F) was the norm. Speed has a 2nd order impact on wind resistance and therefore efficiency, so if you have to drive slower you will make up some of that range. The difference between 55 MPH and 85 MPH might be 20%. It's possible that the car may warm the battery over a cold night while plugged into the charger so you lose less.
Sponsored