I don’t have surround view!

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
Hello, just picked up my Taycan and loving it! However, I ordered the premium package with my 4S (that comes with surround view) yet I don’t have surround view! All I have is the front and the rear camera when in park assist (whereas the demo model at the dealer that had the same package had multiple cameras to choose form and I could 3D navigate around the car). Any idea why I’m only seeing front and rear? MY2021. Literally just delivered
Sponsored

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Hello, just picked up my Taycan and loving it! However, I ordered the premium package with my 4S (that comes with surround view) yet I don’t have surround view! All I have is the front and the rear camera when in park assist (whereas the demo model at the dealer that had the same package had multiple cameras to choose form and I could 3D navigate around the car). Any idea why I’m only seeing front and rear? MY2021. Literally just delivered
That is 3d surround view (another package) and is not the surround view that comes with the premium package... found out the hard way myself.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
That is 3d surround view (another package) and is not the surround view that comes with the premium package... found out the hard way myself.
What is the 3D surround view package that is separate from the surround view that comes with the premium package?

I don’t see this anywhere.

I only see a separate surround view option, which is included in the premium package.

Last edited:

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I thought this is what I specced. Had 3D surround in my A7 where you could move your finger over the screen and get an external view at any angle. Just checking my build and reading the info again there will not be any 3D surround view.

So is this just wide view front and rear cameras?

Below is from Porsche, what is mirror lighting?

"As ParkAssist (front and rear) including reversing camera, but also featuring a 360° surround view generated from the images of four high-resolution cameras enabling even greater comfort when manoeuvring. A junction view (from front and rear of vehicle) provides assistance at more complex exits. Images are displayed on the screen of Porsche Communication Management (PCM) Including mirror lighting"

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
From my understanding, on the MY20 (which I configured) it was indeed the “Surround View” that offered you that 360 degree model view, as well as all those cameras to click on around the car.

When the MY21 came out (and what my car ultimately ended up being), this same view was moved to “3D Surround” option, that is included in self-parking.

I unfortunately was not aware of this change and lost out. funkily enough, you can still trick the PCM to give you this view....but it’s annoying to have to do that, and I wish they would offer the upgrade as a FOD to those who already have the hardware.

OP
OP
mc9er

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
From my understanding, on the MY20 (which I configured) it was indeed the “Surround View” that offered you that 360 degree model view, as well as all those cameras to click on around the car.

When the MY21 came out (and what my car ultimately ended up being), this same view was moved to “3D Surround” option, that is included in self-parking.

I unfortunately was not aware of this change and lost out. funkily enough, you can still trick the PCM to give you this view....but it’s annoying to have to do that, and I wish they would offer the upgrade as a FOD to those who already have the hardware.
Yeah I was a bit disappointed last night when I saw I didn’t have that, yet, in the 2020 demo I tested months ago it was included. Anyway... how do I “trick” the system for a workaround? Thanks!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
3D with parking Assistance is another option on top of surround. Surround has 4 physical cameras and when active you can switch views front, rear, panoramic, and side view.

Search the forum where the 3D trick is available to you but basically select front or rear camera and then on the central panel click off the camera and you should see a new image - 3D - which you can then spin around as if you have paid for the 3D option.

Reactions: Vik

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag

This wasn’t clear to me either. The demo car I drove in Feb had it, and I optioned surround view. I don’t need the car to park itself. If porsche moved the feature from surround view (which is CLEARLY what it is) to self-parking, that’s a really crappy move. I found the rear camera to be fairly useless. The rendered view (which I guess they are now calling 3D view) is what I used to park on my test drive. It’s borderline false advertising. Don’t demonstrate features in a car that will be different than the one you can order.

Last edited:

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
Yeah I was a bit disappointed last night when I saw I didn’t have that, yet, in the 2020 demo I tested months ago it was included. Anyway... how do I “trick” the system for a workaround? Thanks!
Use the trackpad to swipe left or right to where the missing camera icons "would be", and then click in. (video illustrating below) Annoying to the point of almost uselessness, but at least it confirms that the hardware and ability is all still there. Wish they would reconsider and allow to "unlock" by FOD at the very least. So far, when I have asked, I have gotten back a firm no.

Attachments

Drew Webb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 GT2, Tesla Model X, Maserati Quattroporte
Country flag
Similarly was surprised to get delivery of MY21 4S with premium pkg only to find the 3D surround view option was limited to front and rear cameras. I’ve tried the trick published on the forum to get a quasi-walk around view but find it difficult to consistently activate and then not a smooth rotation. Agree Porsche should provide proper FOD fix and reinstate what we all specd and expected to be delivered. My dealer was also oblivious of this change and couldn’t figure out why the care didn’t have the MY20 feature.

Ajes

First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Highl. Hybrid, Civic HB, Taycan 4s order
Country flag
Which option or package do you need to get to view all the cameras? I don’t see an obvious one. There is a parking package but doesn’t specifically mention cameras.
Thanks

Similarly was surprised to get delivery of MY21 4S with premium pkg only to find the 3D surround view option was limited to front and rear cameras. I’ve tried the trick published on the forum to get a quasi-walk around view but find it difficult to consistently activate and then not a smooth rotation. Agree Porsche should provide proper FOD fix and reinstate what we all specd and expected to be delivered. My dealer was also oblivious of this change and couldn’t figure out why the care didn’t have the MY20 feature.

PeterL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S soon
Country flag
It’s borderline false advertising. Don’t demonstrate features in a car that will be different than the one you can order.
It's not borderline, it is straight up false advertising. The surround view info bubble on the USA site shows this:

Porsche Taycan I don’t have surround view! Surround.JPG

It clearly and explicitly states you get a 360 degree surround view with this feature, no qualification that it's only available with auto parking. And the info blurb is the same for both the standalone surround view option or when viewed through the premium package. A backup camera is required by law in the USA - is Porsche under the impression customers are paying $1200 for a front camera view? Owners should show their dealers this option description and insist the 360 degree feature be implemented as described.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
It's not borderline, it is straight up false advertising. The surround view info bubble on the USA site shows this:

Surround.JPG

It clearly and explicitly states you get a 360 degree surround view with this feature, no qualification that it's only available with auto parking. And the info blurb is the same for both the standalone surround view option or when viewed through the premium package. A backup camera is required by law in the USA - is Porsche under the impression customers are paying $1200 for a front camera view? Owners should show their dealers this option description and insist the 360 degree feature be implemented as described.
I agree with you, but putting a lawyer hat on for a second (I’m not an attorney, I just play one on the Internet) - it does provide a view from 4 cameras which is 360. It doesn’t say it provides a “rendered”, “3D” or “Birdseye” view. Now, if the description on the website has remained this language all along - 2020 and 2021, then they have zero case to stand on.

Regardless, it’s sufficiency vague and easy for customers to be confused. It’s clearly just a software config option. They should enable it for everyone who ordered surround view for the sake of the customer experience and learn from the mistake.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Surround.JPG

No mention of 3D so no misrepresentation.

Surround view equates to 360 panoramic (birds eye) which is what you have.

3D adds trick cameras in addition to the 4 you get with surround view. There are no icons for the trick ones (I think originally there were). Auto parking is added to "justify" the price premium.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
I don't have my car yet so I'm not 100% sure if I understand exactly what Surround View does or doesn't provide relative to it's description.

I will mention that when I bought my 2014 GT3 the optional 18 way adjustable sport seats were advertised with a memory feature which it turned out they did not have. Multiple owners complained and Porsche actually refunded the entire $2635 purchase price of the option. They even issued an amended Monroney sticker correcting the description of the seats. AFAIK, no legal action was taken; it was simply good will on Porsche's part although to be honest the fact that the 2014 GT3 owners were already pretty PO'd over the engine replacement issue may have had something to do with it. ;)

If the Surround View feature really doesn't match what is advertised, I suggest everyone who is dissatisfied should contact PCNA. You should also save a copy of the information page for SV as it appears in your configurator order as backup in case Porsche changes the description at some point. If enough people complain Porsche might decide to reconfigure the software, if that's possible, or issue a refund. Won't hurt to try.
Sponsored