I don’t have surround view!

PeterL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S soon
Country flag
I agree with you, but putting a lawyer hat on for a second (I’m not an attorney, I just play one on the Internet) - it does provide a view from 4 cameras which is 360. It doesn’t say it provides a “rendered”, “3D” or “Birdseye” view. Now if the description on the website has remained this language all along - 2020 and 2021, then they have zero case to stand on.
I see your point but both the OP and another member wrote the Surround View only gave them front and back camera views:

Hello, just picked up my Taycan and loving it! However, I ordered the premium package with my 4S (that comes with surround view) yet I don’t have surround view! All I have is the front and the rear camera when in park assist (whereas the demo model at the dealer that had the same package had multiple cameras to choose form and I could 3D navigate around the car).
Similarly was surprised to get delivery of MY21 4S with premium pkg only to find the 3D surround view option was limited to front and rear cameras.
Maybe I have misunderstood this but shouldn't they get two side camera views as well in order to get the fixed 4-camera Surround View?

No mention of 3D so no misrepresentation.

Surround view equates to 360 panoramic (birds eye) which is what you have.

3D adds trick cameras in addition to the 4 you get with surround view. There are no icons for the trick ones (I think originally there were). Auto parking is added to "justify" the price premium.
Part of the issue here is that the UK and USA configurations have different language. The American site only has a standalone option labeled Surround View, unlike the UK configuration which has Park Assist including Surround View and 3D Surround View with Active Parking Support. I think it can be fairly argued that the Surround View used on Porsche USA is the equivalent to the "base" Surround View feature in the UK/Europe. But if the USA MY21 demo models have Surround View implemented in such a way that allowed freedom of motion around the car like the UK/European 3D Surround View, then I think USA owners are entitled to expect that in their vehicles as well, especially since the USA site does not give any hint there is a distinction between regular and 3D Surround View.
Sponsored

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I don't have my car yet so I'm not 100% sure if I understand exactly what Surround View does or doesn't provide relative to it's description.

I will mention that when I bought my 2014 GT3 the optional 18 way adjustable sport seats were advertised with a memory feature which it turned out they did not have. Multiple owners complained and Porsche actually refunded the entire $2635 purchase price of the option. They even issued an amended Monroney sticker correcting the description of the seats. AFAIK, no legal action was taken; it was simply good will on Porsche's part although to be honest the fact that the 2014 GT3 owners were already pretty PO'd over the engine replacement issue may have had something to do with it. ;)

If the Surround View feature really doesn't match what is advertised, I suggest everyone who is dissatisfied should contact PCNA. You should also save a copy of the information page for SV as it appears in your configurator order as backup in case Porsche changes the description at some point. If enough people complain Porsche might decide to reconfigure the software, if that's possible, or issue a refund. Won't hurt to try.
The 3D option no longer exists on the USA configurator so 360 surround is the only option.

Parking assistant with LCA is a further option but in UK this also includes 3D.

Not sure why USA is different.

Porsche Taycan I don’t have surround view! Screenshot_20210412-202608_Chrome

Porsche Taycan I don’t have surround view! Screenshot_20210412-202311_Chrome

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I see your point but both the OP and another member wrote the Surround View only gave them front and back camera views:

Maybe I have misunderstood this but shouldn't they get two side camera views as well?
Yes you do (via the door mirrors) so on the Park Assist menu you can select 360 (birds eye view), side view, front view and rear view.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Maybe I have misunderstood this but shouldn't they get two side camera views as well in order to get the fixed 4-camera Surround View?

Part of the issue here is that the UK and USA configurations have different language. The American site only has a standalone option labeled Surround View, unlike the UK configuration which has Park Assist including Surround View and 3D Surround View with Active Parking Support. I think it can be fairly argued that the Surround View used on Porsche USA is the equivalent to the "base" Surround View feature in the UK/Europe. But if the USA MY21 demo models have Surround View implemented in such a way that allowed freedom of motion around the car like the UK/European 3D Surround View, then I think USA owners are entitled to expect that in their vehicles as well, especially since the USA site does not give any hint there is a distinction between regular and 3D Surround View.
The absence of "3D" makes it a clear distinction. Surround view as an option has been on Porsches long before the Taycan came along and 3D only appeared on the Taycan for MY21.

Semantics aside it is a ridiculous price to pay for something that is pretty much standard on other brands.

In UK you get Park Assist (sensors only) as standard, Park Assist with rear view camera, surround view and then 3D surround as options.

To get 3D you must also specify surround view and so the cost becomes excessive. Parking assistant is slow in operation and the 3D view not worth it given the hack works just as well. I guess LCA is thrown in for good measure but...

Surround is more than adequate for most purposes.

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
The absence of "3D" makes it a clear distinction.
Except that there was no option for 3D on the MY2020 configurator. This 360 degree 3D mode was encompasses in “Surround View”, and subsequently moved when the MY21 was released.
For some of us who ordered in the period between the two (configured on MY20 configurator but luckily received MY21 car), the 3D feature is one that we thought we were getting, but ended up losing up on.
I have friends who picked the same specs as me, a month earlier, who still have this feature...yet I don’t.
Anyways, it’s not a big deal. Just a shame.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Except that there was no option for 3D on the MY2020 configurator. This 360 degree 3D mode was encompasses in “Surround View”, and subsequently moved when the MY21 was released.
For some of us who ordered in the period between the two (configured on MY20 configurator but luckily received MY21 car), the 3D feature is one that we thought we were getting, but ended up losing up on.
I have friends who picked the same specs as me, a month earlier, who still have this feature...yet I don’t.
Anyways, it’s not a big deal. Just a shame.
In which case your original spec when configured for MY20 will have the detail printed on the spec sheet which I’m assuming you have? if so, and it states “3D” then you have a claim but if not and it is simply 360 / Surround View then nothing has changed and the 3D option (with LCA and Assisted Parking) added for MY21 cars (which I think requires additional sensors on the side of the front and rear bumpers (I’m guessing though) and can’t be retro fitted / enabled.

It is a pain - too many options (deliberately so) to extort more money from customers).

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I solved this by FaceTiming with my wife as she walks around the car. Boom. 3D surround view. Problem solved.

If she’s not with me I just ask strangers. ?

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Had this in a Audi A7. Very rarely used it in the two years I had the vehicle. The most times it was used was when car was parked and I wanted to kill time.

I think the front and rear cameras are enough. The 3D is nice to have as a gimmick.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
Even by Porsche nickel and diming standards, this is pretty petty and ridiculous. Instead of trying to create silly, overlapping and confusing tech options, they should focus on what they are good at: come out with another new color or stitch option and charge $$$$ for that.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
On my 2020 Taycan I sorted 3D and have it. But I now what the parking thing enabled. Any idea if I’ll get that on FoD?

seskiyapan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I also specced mine with 360 view and it came without the 3D . Really dissapointed. My dealer told me you have to buy active parking asssist package what is different than parking assist . Is this true ?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I also specced mine with 360 view and it came without the 3D . Really dissapointed. My dealer told me you have to buy active parking asssist package what is different than parking assist . Is this true ?
That's correct. Read the description of the options carefully. 360 or panoramic or surround is not 3D nor has it ever been described as such. 360 = surround = panoramic.

Assuming you option surround (360 / panoramic) then you can additionally add 3D with assisted parking (auto parking). This option also adds lane change assist ( led warnings in door mirrors).

3D can't be retrofitted or elements thereof provisioned via FoD due to hardware dependencies (additional side sensors and mirrors with the LEDs built in.

Parking assistant will be slow to use (quicker manually) and the 3D hack (if you have surround) is available and not too fiddly to activate and also free.

Park assist is simply the front and rear sensors and then layered as options on top are park assist with reversing camera, 360 panoramic / surround, and finally 3D surround with Parking Assistant (auto parking).

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
In which case your original spec when configured for MY20 will have the detail printed on the spec sheet which I’m assuming you have? if so, and it states “3D” then you have a claim but if not and it is simply 360 / Surround View then nothing has changed and the 3D option (with LCA and Assisted Parking) added for MY21 cars (which I think requires additional sensors on the side of the front and rear bumpers (I’m guessing though) and can’t be retro fitted / enabled.

It is a pain - too many options (deliberately so) to extort more money from customers).
You misunderstand. There was no mention of “3D” on any of the options on the original MY20 configurator. This is in spite of the option being available on the car, being demoed with the car on test-drives, being present on cars delivered which specced the highest available 360 Surround View option.
Between ordering the car and receiving it, the change in model years also came with a removal of this feature from one option, and into a brand new previously unlisted option. There was no way for me to spec it, and it was on my original spec (whether explicitly stated as “3D” or not). You can’t demonstrate a car with a feature, decide to rename the feature and then tell the customer that they didn’t order it, based on the new name.
Sponsored