ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A review of Taycan Turbo but with many comparisons to the Tesla Model S and 3 as it's from a Tesla channel. Yet he does a reasonable review in my opinion. Much to the dismay of his viewers I would say according to the number of dislikes. Also it's a clickbait title as he is borrowing the car from a friend.

I got a Porsche Taycan
Tesla Owners Online
Sponsored

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
Yep - a likeable and objective review, from a Model-3 owner's point of view. At 10.07: "This is a true sportscar in every sense of the word." That was a much more positive statement than I ever suspected from a Tesla guy on the "other side". Thumbs up!

However, In the video at 7.00: "Why they put a clock on the dash? I have no idea. I would never look at that." :lipssealed: I think one need to be sports car enthusiast like us (read: Porsche nurds) and love racing, to get it- huh? :cool:

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
"Other Side"?

I have a ModelX and a TurboS. Which "side" should I be on? I didn't realize I had to take a side.

[Rant]

I know, with EVERYTHING we do today, we MUST take a side. You can't simply appreciate perspectives from both points of view. That would make you a traitor to BOTH "sides"!

This "Social Media" induced perspective of everything is EXACTLY what is diminishing us in so many ways...

[/Rant]

True "car people" appreciate multiple brands/models/types of cars for what they offer.

$0.02

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
"Other Side"?

I have a ModelX and a TurboS. Which "side" should I be on? I didn't realize I had to take a side.

[Rant]

I know, with EVERYTHING we do today, we MUST take a side. You can't simply appreciate perspectives from both points of view. That would make you a traitor to BOTH "sides"!

This "Social Media" induced perspective of everything is EXACTLY what is diminishing us in so many ways...

[/Rant]

True "car people" appreciate multiple brands/models/types of cars for what they offer.

$0.02
Finally someone with some sens!!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
"Other Side"?

[Rant]

[/Rant]

$0.02
No, you don't need to take sides. But it does not change the fact that there was a lot of ugly trash talk when the EPA numbers came out from a lot of people who never even have seen the car.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, you don't need to take sides. But it does not change the fact that there was a lot of ugly trash talk when the EPA numbers came out from a lot of people who never even have seen the car.
EXACTLY the same thing can be said for the reverse perspective. There has been, and continues to be, a lot of trash talk from both "sides". Sad, but true.

Seem's the "Porsche" folks can't believe a Tesla owner could make an honest and unbiased review. (Just check the first couple of postings in this thread). I fully expect the "Tesla" folks would similarly distrust any review from a Porsche guy...

We still love our Tesla. It continues to offer many things that the Taycan doesn't. However, I am also looking forward to the arrival of my TurboS (This week?). Conversely, I am betting significant money it will offer many things the Tesla does not. We are likely going to keep both as I think my Wife is a little intimidated by the Porsche.

If one was to start a collection of significant EV's it would certainly include both vehicles. Tesla was here 7 years before anyone else. Some of the technology in their vehicles continues to remain unmatched by any other manufacturer. Porsche raised the bar by being the first mainstream performance manufacturer to deliver a solid contender for the EV market. Both vehicles are very significant. No reason to discount either of their features or achievements...

Lets stop pre-judging reviews just because of where they originate. Let judge the judges based on the actual quality of their analysis and validity of their findings...

Last edited:
OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Agree that we can all coexist @evanevery , but one correction on the Tesla message.

You stated
Tesla was here 7 years before anyone else.
The Tesla Roadster went into production 2010 and the Nissan Leaf in 2011 and certainly at significantly higher volumes.

And that's not to mention the GM EV-1 that was leased 1996-1999.

Tesla was not the first EV manufacturer, but I would say they popularized it.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Agree that we can all coexist @evanevery , but one correction on the Tesla message.

You stated

The Tesla Roadster went into production 2010 and the Nissan Leaf in 2011 and certainly at significantly higher volumes.

A bit like Apple not being the first smartphone manufacturer but the one who popularized it?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

You stated

I wasn't counting the Roadster. I was talking about a much more mainstream solution like the Model S. The original Roadster, while cool, never really made much of an impact on the EV ecosystem. The Model S was the car that really got things moving in the EV world.

(I believe there were actually electrified vehicles being built in the early 1900's but they are more of a historical footnote - like the EV-1 - than the beginning of a revolution...)

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

You stated

The EV-1 was made for another reason..... to kill any talk about EVs for a long time. That worked very well, just too bad that GM destroyed all of them..... :-(

Yes the original roadster and the Leaf are great examples of forward thinking from different perspectives and yes the Taycan is also forward thinking. Therefore I am keeping my original roadster I will keep the Taycan and if the new tesla roadster is ever made it will also be significant and I will keep that as well. Anything else EV I lease since there will for the foreseeable future be masses of improvements of the basic platforms from new and established manufacturers everywhere. :)

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wasn't counting the Roadster. I was talking about a much more mainstream solution like the Model S. The original Roadster, while cool, never really made much of an impact on the EV ecosystem. The Model S was the car that really got things moving in the EV world.

(I believe there were actually electrified vehicles being built in the early 1900's but they are more of a historical footnote - like the EV-1 - than the beginning of a revolution...)
For the EV-1 you could be right as I also eluded to in my previous post.

However, I beg to differ with the original roadster. It put Tesla very much on the map and was THE prof of concept that was needed for a Model S to ever exist. And us pioneers that bought it enabled Tesla to secure the initial funding to secure the development of the S. Then obviously the government stepped in and helped fund the beginning of production (Payed back early!). And the rest is history. :)

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For the EV-1 you could be right as I also eluded to in my previous post.

However, I beg to differ with the original roadster. It put Tesla very much on the map and was THE prof of concept that was needed for a Model S to ever exist. And us pioneers that bought it enabled Tesla to secure the initial funding to secure the development of the S. Then obviously the government stepped in and helped fund the beginning of production (Payed back early!). And the rest is history. :)
Happy to disagree on the Roadster thing, but that's OK!

Status
Not open for further replies.