DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Ever get random bits of unlocalized German?

Porsche Taycan I guess my PCM missed home? IMG_0192
Sponsored

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
Ever get random bits of unlocalized German?

IMG_0192.jpeg
I get German popping up all the time. Just got a survey from Porsche and cited this as an example of poor quality control in their software in general (there are many other issues as we know..)

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
All the time. The car likes to remind you every now then that its heart is in Germany and you are just a guest. I have decided to simply learn German instead of arguing with the car. Much easier that way.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
There is a TSB (dated April 5 2021) about the issue.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10191717-0001.pdf

Copying from the TSB:

Title: "Y1A Taycan PCM Displays German Language Unexpectedly"

Technical Background
The PCM tries to load text for all applications when the vehicle network wakes up after a full sleep. Sometimes, this load attempt occurs when the system is not yet fully ready. In this case, the PCM may have to load some of the text in the default language (German) and reattempt the text load later. If the customer looks at the display before it refreshes, there may be unexpected German text present. This may occur at startup after the PCM central computer has been asleep. (Generally, the PCM sleeps 15-30 minutes after vehicle shutoff).

Service Information
Shortly after startup, the correct text will become available. The customer can wait for just a little while and then force a display refresh by changing screens.There is no repair necessary. This is not a bug.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry but I'm in software and if my app showed the wrong language to the user it would DEFINITELY be considered a bug!!

Thanks for the interesting document!
I don't know what is worst, the bug itself, the fact that they know about it and they do not (maybe cannot) fix it, or the fact they consider it normal...
I have had dozens of Windows computers, Macs, Phones, TVs and other devices in a foreign language, and neither had this issue. How hard is to load a setting on the proper time?

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Exactly, there is an inherent architectural flaw here.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I get it when using the NAV and after searching for a destination. Lucky I know a little German.

Poor coding - surely the check should be on what locale my VIN is associated to and then load that as the default language each and every time.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Poor coding - surely the check should be on what locale my VIN is associated to and then load that as the default language each and every time.
Certainly poor coding. There is so many ways to pick a better default language. One would be to choose the Nav Maps local, or maybe use GPS location. If you see the PCM versions it says "North America", so why would you default to German for NA?
But I think it is not hard to get the user selected language before it starts loading any text. How hard is it to load a setting? ....

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Passenger screen, open weather, click on any location. The day will be displayed in German.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
All the time. The car likes to remind you every now then that its heart is in Germany and you are just a guest. I have decided to simply learn German instead of arguing with the car. Much easier that way.
Smart move! I had it all in English until WMA5. Now I often get "Ziel suchen" in the Navi. But it is random...

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Certainly poor coding. There is so many ways to pick a better default language. One would be to choose the Nav Maps local, or maybe use GPS location. If you see the PCM versions it says "North America", so why would you default to German for NA?
But I think it is not hard to get the user selected language before it starts loading any text. How hard is it to load a setting? ....
MS in the old days always localized into German right away, to get the UI right - long and wordy language.

I am often frustrated, when I get UI presented in language based on IP, CHAR SET, TIME ZONE, Daily Horoscope...

Loading settings is easy, applying them is where the bugs fly.

esortho

First Name
Soren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Doesn't have to be coding though, can simply be a missing translation entry which defaults back to whatever it can find and given that "original language" for most of the texts are german, that is what will be displayed.

mkpierro

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2022 Audi SQ5
Country flag
Every now and then my search bar changes to German.
Sponsored