I have the 22kW AC charger installed anyways!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Good service indeed from the dealer but honestly shoddy quality from Porsche in the first instance. This option has been long coming and now that they are finally shipping, faults are surfacing within days of ownership. This should not happen in this day and age. 22 kW AC chargers are not new tech if we are honest.

It would be good to know if the charger you used potentially was at fault (should not matter) as who's to say it won't happen again once repaired / replaced?

Sounds like Porsche / VW Group are sourcing components which haven't been robustly tested and happy to repair in the field at the expense of consumer inconvenience and confidence.
Perhaps in their zeal to compete with Tesla, they are borrowing from Elon's playbook - "ship it now, fix it later, ideally with just software". :(

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Car back fixed - charging restored!
Did the dealer order an extra, at least charger to keep on hand as a "loaner" for other customers who might encounter this? Probably cheaper to have a loaner charger than a loaner Taycan.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Also, I can confirm that even though its the new 22kW charger that was installed in my MY21 car, it does not restore plug & charge.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Also, I can confirm that even though its the new 22kW charger that was installed in my MY21 car, it does not restore plug & charge.
Hi Tigerbalm, hope your 3rd time lucky is going well so far....I'll certainly keep an eye on this thread. Have an MY'22 4S CT on order but don't expect to be finalising it till around January due to lead times.

Looking to add the 22kW, partially for the odd trip to the continent but also as frequently up in Scotland and there are a lot of 22kW up there (and way fewer decent CCS once further north than Edinburgh/Glasgow).

Out of interest, did the not insubstantial price include a 32A 3 Phase capable cable? I assume not given how Porsche's options list works....but one can hope.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi Tigerbalm, hope your 3rd time lucky is going well so far....I'll certainly keep an eye on this thread. Have an MY'22 4S CT on order but don't expect to be finalising it till around January due to lead times.

Looking to add the 22kW, partially for the odd trip to the continent but also as frequently up in Scotland and there are a lot of 22kW up there (and way fewer decent CCS once further north than Edinburgh/Glasgow).

Out of interest, did the not insubstantial price include a 32A 3 Phase capable cable? I assume not given how Porsche's options list works....but one can hope.
Plenty 50kW DC in North East - Aberdeen, Inverness, Fort Augustus and beyond. North West it was thinner but use the right app to check what's what.

Use ZapMap, make sure you have a Chargeplace Scotland RFID card.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
You answered it! I got mine on ebay for a good price! I like the Mennekes branded cables – way more reliable in terms of fitting into sockets every time correctly than some of the generic cables that are popular.

Porsche Taycan I have the 22kW AC charger installed anyways! Screenshot 2021-09-27 at 17.58.51

They are also better – in my opinion – than the Porsche branded cables made by HARTING. I believe you can get them at Mercedes dealerships – as they can be quite hard to find.

It gets a lot of use and has earned its place in our frunk - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/western-europe-taycan-road-trip-report.6491/post-94564

Last edited:

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Plenty 50kW DC in North East - Aberdeen, Inverness, Fort Augustus and beyond. North West it was thinner but use the right app to check what's what.

Use ZapMap, make sure you have a Chargeplace Scotland RFID card.
Yeah have a Chargeplace Scotland card and use Zap Map lots. Do those old eVolts work reliably with the Taycan? Pretty much a "don't bother" with my current iPace. Should have added also hope to do some European travel (skiing, Parents in Portugal) where there is a lot of 22kW. In the end I'm aiming for absolute maximum charging options....Thanks for the reply :)

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You answered it! I got mine on ebay for a good price! I like the Mennekes branded cables – way more reliable in terms of fitting into sockets every time correctly than some of the generic cables that are popular.

Screenshot 2021-09-27 at 17.58.51.png

They are also better – in my opinion – than the Porsche branded cables made by HARTING. I believe you can get them at Mercedes dealerships – as they can be quite hard to find.

It gets a lot of use and has earned its place in our frunk - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/western-europe-taycan-road-trip-report.6491/post-94564
Haha, typical. Good to know on that cable though, thanks!