I have the 22kW AC charger installed anyways!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I'm born and bred a Belfast boy!

150kW DC option is for 400V chargers and converts the voltage to 800V to charge the battery. No brainer to tick the box for the small cost.
Belfast! Home to my other love - the DMC-12 :) Agreed on DC charger, I ordered it for future proofing.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Belfast! Home to my other love - the DMC-12 :) Agreed on DC charger, I ordered it for future proofing.
Those were the days. I remember seeing the first car transporter full of DMC-12s sail down Belfast Lough off to share the genius!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Those were the days. I remember seeing the first car transporter full of DMC-12s sail down Belfast Lough off to share the genius!
That's awesome. :cool: I have seen every piece of video footage of JZD, DMCL and related. I grew up not far from where JZD owned a house in Bloomfield Hills. My father crossed paths with John while he was involved in the auto industry.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I was using a free public 22kW charger at Lidl (cheapskate that I am) when after about an hour it stopped and went red. Hasn't charged on AC since.
So what lesson have we learnt here?

Last edited:

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
And it's gone.

Eight weeks after my 22kW charger was replaced it errors/breaks again. This time leaving me stranded/unable to charge at a remote hotel with destination chargers. Three weeks before a long European road trip. Frustrating.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
porsche is really dropping the ball with the charging issues. I was just completely lied to by the service center regarding their addressing my fail to charge issues.
the dealership lies. porsche customer care is a black hole of nothingness, I am on the road to getting the car to the point of being returned under the lemon laws.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
And it's gone.

Eight weeks after my 22kW charger was replaced it errors/breaks again. This time leaving me stranded/unable to charge at a remote hotel with destination chargers. Three weeks before a long European road trip. Frustrating.
This and others need to be addressed by Porsche, it is a gap and will erode the brand.
Perhaps it is not 'systemic', but it happened to me in the beginning, you and others and if my issue comes back like yours did, this could be a big blow to customer retention.

Bottom line is, the Taycan is now selling to 911 levels....they need to invest, support, conduct trainings and push support down to the local dealers. I believe COVID did delay this and the onsite trainings/regional workshops have been delayed. However, my hope is they now see the popularity of this 'experiment' and if they want it to be successful in the long run, they need to make the comments of their CEO of NA, on CNBC where he stated something like: "When Porsche does something, we do it right.....". I believed this as a brand before he made this statement and it went into my buying decision....until I had my first month with my Taycan. When I heard him say this, my coffee went out my nose a little as I choked. I still believe that is their 'intent'. However, I will judge them by what they do and not what they say, so willing to give them a year or so at this point just do to the externalities over the last year and a half.

Time will tell; I am not blindly believing, or ready to throw in the towel. They have the opportunity to make this right/great and hope they execute!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Fortunately 22kW is not a key requirement for UK market as we have 50kW options a plenty.

Nonetheless, how hard can it be to have a stable and reliable 22kW option. Inexcusable. Doubt it will impair the brand to any degree - Porsche arrogance is much stronger than you realize.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A quick update: so this isn't exactly the same as the last time my 22kW AC charger failed. Then, DC charging (both 400V and 800V) worked fine.

This time all charging fails. So it is something different.

I tired it on:
  • Ordinary 3-pin socket with my Juice Booster travel AC charger
  • 7.2kW destination charger
  • 22kW Public AC charger
  • 50kW Public DC charger (400V - common in Ireland)
  • 350kW Public DC charger (Ionity)
All exhibited the same issue – white light flashing for a longer than normal time, then red light.

I'll know more tomorrow when my Porsche Centre takes a look.

Porsche Taycan I have the 22kW AC charger installed anyways! IMG_0716

Togi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I hope your problem will be solved as soon as possible. A big company like porshe shouldn't hurt their users.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Quick update on this now that Porsche has completed their diagnosis. It is indeed the 22kW AC charger that has "gone" again. Part is on back-order and hopefully be installed in next two weeks. As always, my Porsche Centre in Dublin has been great in keeping me updated and they are as frustrated as me at the unreliability of this part.

Third time a charm!

They gave me a Taycan 4S loaner with almost no options ticked – which is actually really great. As I am plotting to update to the Turbo S in 2023, this will help me understand what options I really value.

I've never driven a Porsche without PDCC before. Going to take this up the mountains this weekend to see if I "notice it missing". No Rear-wheel steering or PTV+, etc.

As someone who has Burmester stereo and now has Bose in this car – its really interesting to hear the difference. My initial thoughts on it is: the Bose in Taycan is way, way, way better than the Bose that was in my Panamera Turbo S. It is audibly not as good as the Burmester, which has a very unique sound that you get used to. The Burmester sounds more natural, the Bose more processed.

In no way is the Burmester worth nearly 4x the cost.

Will I spec Burmester in my next Taycan? Probably! But I'll see it as buying something "special" and not something "needed".

I see two weeks with this car as a "speccing" experience :)

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well my car remains broken – the latest 22kW charger still hasn't turned up – meaning I have been unable to charge my car for three out of its first six months of its life.

The car's battery has spent the last 20 days at 4% SOC – I do hope that doesn't cause any long term damage.

Additionally the PVTS+ (tracker) insists its been stolen (theft alert) and neither me, Porsche Centre, Porsche Connect or Vodafone Telemetrics is able to reset it.

The impact of this is that I am unable to login with my account into any rented/loaner Taycan's and I am effectively locked out of my Porsche Connect account.

Porsche has missed all of its estimated repair dates, meaning I have to bring a basic loaner Taycan on my first roadtrip to France. I am grateful that at least they are allowing me bring it across international borders.

I try to remain optimistic and upbeat – but I do hope it gets repaired soon and stays working.

Last edited: