I hope the onboard Porsche Intelligent Range Manager is better than the online version !

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
The online version is really lousy. Not only is the interface atrocious, but the algorithm is even worse ! Note that the Porsche route planner only stops at one Ionity station ! 7 Stops and 17 hours total vs. 6 stops, all at Ionity stations and 10:44 hours ... 58% more time ! The second route was calculated using ABRP (A Better Route Planner).
u
Porsche Taycan I hope the onboard Porsche Intelligent Range Manager is better than the online version ! Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.26.09
Porsche Taycan I hope the onboard Porsche Intelligent Range Manager is better than the online version ! Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.26.30
Porsche Taycan I hope the onboard Porsche Intelligent Range Manager is better than the online version ! Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.26.40
Porsche Taycan I hope the onboard Porsche Intelligent Range Manager is better than the online version ! Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.29.11

Porsche Taycan I hope the onboard Porsche Intelligent Range Manager is better than the online version ! Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.33.08

Porsche Taycan I hope the onboard Porsche Intelligent Range Manager is better than the online version ! Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.32.38

Bobrae99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Forget that, look at the cost of the electricity! I’m wondering about the EV value proposition when gas is 1.42 Euro a liter. The routing shows 7 stops and adding up the EV charging costs, it looks to be about 250 Euro, but you can drive a Panamera the same distance without any lengthy fuelling stops for 140 Euro. Am I missing something?

Premium fuel is $1.30/L where I live and electicity is $0.025/ KW/h, so about $107.00 to fill a Panamera and $2.37 to home charge a 95 kWh batter from empty. That makes sense to me

Last edited:

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I thought Ionity provides a special rate for Taycan - 0.33 Euro/kWh. The prices listed are at 0.79 Euro per kWh.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Forget that, look at the cost of the electricity! I’m wondering about the EV value proposition when gas is 1.42 Euro a liter. The routing shows 7 stops and adding up the EV charging costs, it looks to be about 250 Euro, but you can drive a Panamera the same distance without any lengthy fuelling stops for 140 Euro. Am I missing something?
Climate change?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I thought Ionity provides a special rate for Taycan - 0.33 Euro/kWh. The prices listed are at 0.79 Euro per kWh.
That is correct, it is 0.33 Euro per kWh with Porsche providing the subscription for free for the first three year. After that one can subscribe to get the special rate, as I have understood it. Abetterrouteplanner just works with the standard rates since you can plan for many EV’s on their site.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The online version is really lousy. Not only is the interface atrocious, but the algorithm is even worse ! Note that the Porsche route planner only stops at one Ionity station ! 7 Stops and 17 hours total vs. 6 stops, all at Ionity stations and 10:44 hours ... 58% more time ! The second route was calculated using ABRP (A Better Route Planner).
u
Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.26.09 .png
Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.26.30 .png
Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.26.40 .png
Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.29.11 .png

Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.33.08 .png

Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.32.38 .png
I did a similar exercise some time back for a route that I drive a couple of times per year.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/route-planning-on-porsche-website.653/

My result was the same as yours and the worst was that the planner accepted the first stop at a distance from start of 452 km, while the car only was planned to have 419 km! So I would not even reach the first charge stop. And as you said it skipped a lot of Ionity chargers.

I have since tried the same exercise in a Taycan Turbo that my dealer has as a demo car.

IT FAILED!
It could not find any suitable chargers along the route but planned the drive as it was an ICE car. Distance and travel times as Google maps or Waze, but not chargers except the first two 50 kW stations.

I also remember @ louv stating that he had issues with using the app for planning his trip. Clearly room for improvement from the Porsche guys.

And that coupled with the fact Ionity have stopped building new stations and now only plan for some 270 stations instead of the original plan of 400. They are doing ” a strategic review”! Whatever that means.
There is however such a momentum for electric cars in Europe now that I think it will be sorted soon. Otherwise long distance travelling will take on a more relaxed travel with many scenic stops!!

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Similar complaints for these guys travelling from Norway to Spain. They have a nice series of episodes, the last one is when they have to be towed because the Porsche Planner routed them to a city charger that was not working, then they could not connect to a gas station charger because they needed a specific RFID. On a different episode the Porsche dealer had only 22kW charger - and that was inside the building. They called Jaguar who had a 50 kW charger inside their dealership too - guys were accommodating, but they had to cover the car while charging inside Jaguar.

I think the big boys in auto should get their act together and figure out a way to make a network that is as reliable as Tesla. Meanwhile I will do only local travel. I hope Porsche NA will be better.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Similar complaints for these guys travelling from Norway to Spain. They have a nice series of episodes, the last one is when they have to be towed because the Porsche Planner routed them to a city charger that was not working, then they could not connect to a gas station charger because they needed a specific RFID. On a different episode the Porsche dealer had only 22kW charger - and that was inside the building. They called Jaguar who had a 50 kW charger inside their dealership too - guys were accommodating, but they had to cover the car while charging inside Jaguar.

I think the big boys in auto should get their act together and figure out a way to make a network that is as reliable as Tesla. Meanwhile I will do only local travel. I hope Porsche NA will be better.
I agree, this is not what we should expect from Porsche or their parent company.

I would suggest all of us in Europe ( and yes I count the UK into Europe here) should bring this video series to our Porsche dealer and ask them to comment and make sure Porsche support gets their act together. It is absolutely not acceptable for the car to have a database with incorrect information and then the support line not being available. If we all voice our concern then perhaps Porsche will respond and act!

Please comment!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I agree, this is not what we should expect from Porsche or their parent company.

I would suggest all of us in Europe ( and yes I count the UK into Europe here) should bring this video series to our Porsche dealer and ask them to comment and make sure Porsche support gets their act together. It is absolutely not acceptable for the car to have a database with incorrect information and then the support line not being available. If we all voice our concern then perhaps Porsche will respond and act!

Please comment!
Prosche Taycan is a rare bird and VW ID.3 is not on the road. I think Ionity and others have started strong. Can we wait a year or two before judge the network?

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Prosche Taycan is a rare bird and VW ID.3 is not on the road. I think Ionity and others have started strong. Can we wait a year or two before judge the network?
He’s not commenting on the network. That is understandably poor. He’s commenting on Porsche’s failure to give their car’s pricey range managing system correct information about where the chargers are.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag

Please comment!
‘yes we should and i for one will. This is really sad. And will make people hesitate to buy VW group BEVs........ As for now my long-ranger will stay Tesla.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I am sure this will get better in time. The one thing that surprised me was that Porsche dealerships do not have yet the 800V charging. My local dealer mentioned something about one getting installed, but nothing yet. If all dealership would have these, it would be already an excellent network. I do not expect free charging either, but please offer a for-profit charging solution. Since Porsche as a brand is very profitable, I imagine the dealerships are too - why not mandate investment in charging hardware? These should be mandatory in places that are accessible afterhours.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I asked my dealer about the 800 V charger and the response was they were waiting for the Porsche charging equipment........

OP
OP
Pozuelo

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
u
Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.26.09 .png
Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.26.30 .png
Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.26.40 .png
Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.29.11 .png

Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.33.08 .png

Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 17.32.38 .png
I am sure this will get better in time. The one thing that surprised me was that Porsche dealerships do not have yet the 800V charging. My local dealer mentioned something about one getting installed, but nothing yet. If all dealership would have these, it would be already an excellent network. I do not expect free charging either, but please offer a for-profit charging solution. Since Porsche as a brand is very profitable, I imagine the dealerships are too - why not mandate investment in charging hardware? These should be mandatory in places that are accessible afterhours.
According to my dealership in NW suburban Madrid, Spain... they received the equipment in December and are awaiting municipal reply for the works permit for the 350kw charger since then. In the meantime they installed a 22kw AC and 50kw DC charger which did not need a permit as it only required electrical installation without any trenches or major work ! They commented they had orders from Porsche Spain HQ to all dealers to have working 350kw chargers by March-April 2020.. Unfortunately, due to red tape and coronavirus, both infrastructure and Taycan deliveries are going to be further delayed...