I lost all power in the outside lane

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Why would someone from Denmark file a complaint with the NHTSA?
Sorry I did not check the owner's location. Maybe there is an equivalent administration that regulates safety and recall issues.
Sponsored

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I would be interested in what others would do and if anyone knows of this occurring to anyone else. Thanks for your thoughts.
I know this is scary, but I would keep driving the car and see if it happens again.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Sorry to hear this - pretty disconcerting!

@Singularity i had that - in a Golf R with front radar detection and collision avoidance. I was doing an overtake which i knew was good and safe, albeit fast, and just as i was about to pull back in (at a pretty high speed) the car emergency braked to try and avoiding an accident with the incoming vehicle.

The reality is it almost caused a very serious collision which may well have been fatal. Sometimes it is speed you need not the brakes and to slow down!

It was very unpleasant and has made me *very* nervous of any kind of automation.
That is why I am desperately want a solution to permanently switch off "collision warning assist", which does automatically break. It is nothing but annoying!

Same for the park assist. Regular driving and all beeping hell breaks loose!

MaKin

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S (2019)
Country flag
Any updates on this situation?

T4SEM

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Hi

I just got my 4s MY2021 on Friday - was driving at about 30mph when got the

"Drive system control fault" and total loss of power managed to coast to a semi safe position at the side of the road.

Turned off and on again after a minute and all was fine. Drove carefully home a few miles with no issues.

Any thoughts - bit of a downer after just 48 hours.

p.s. There are no warning messages saved in the notification of the PCM -

Porsche Taycan I lost all power in the outside lane IMG_8174

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi

I just got my 4s MY2021 on Friday - was driving at about 30mph when got the

"Drive system control fault" and total loss of power managed to coast to a semi safe position at the side of the road.

Turned off and on again after a minute and all was fine. Drove carefully home a few miles with no issues.

Any thoughts - bit of a downer after just 48 hours.

p.s. There are no warning messages saved in the notification of the PCM -

IMG_8174.png
Random thought from me but do you have PVTS+ and if so was the fob with you / in the car?

T4SEM

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Random thought from me but do you have PVTS+ and if so was the fob with you / in the car?
I have not activated PVTS+ on connect services I do have the fobs and they weren’t in the car at the time. I have driven about 135miles and not had them in the car at all. I didn’t think I needed it in the car if not activated?

thanks for your thoughts

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
That's correct. I forgot my fob while reversing out of the garage and lost all power with a red failure message. I retrieved the fob and all.was well again.

I just wondered if you had an activated service and didn't have the fob present.

Stealthtaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had my 4s for 10 days when out of the blue I lost all power in the car and a red warning comes up saying to pull over and park the car. I was in the outside lane with a car on my inside and I had no acceleration so all I could do was bring the car to a stop. After stopping the car it would not give me any power to move. I'm stuck in the outside lane with traffic trying to get past me. I'm about to call for help when I decide to try turning off the car and turning it back on again. Luckily it comes back to life and I am on my way again and the car seems ok.

I call the dealership and they organise for it to be collected so they can figure out what caused it. After 10 days, and after they have escalated it to Germany, I am told they have been instructed to clear the fault and reset it and it should now be fine. I don't find this particularly convincing and I am trying to figure out what to do next.

Other than this experience massively taking the gloss of the experience of having a new car, being stuck in the outside lane was a very unpleasant experience and I still have doubt lingering in my mind that I'm not convinced this will have fixed it.

Part of me thinks I should return it and get a refund. Part of me thinks the engineers in Germany would not let it be released again if they thought it might happen again.

I would be interested in what others would do and if anyone knows of this occurring to anyone else. Thanks for your thoughts.
Had a similar experience. Really unsure what to do.

Lauryen828

First Name
Lauryen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Had a similar experience. Really unsure what to do.
I just had the same thing happen to me yesterday and my dealer told me it was an old error message and it should be a one time thing. They cleared the message and told me I can come pick the car up. Oh and the loaner they gave me was a Macan that needs service. I've had my car for 2 weeks. After reading some of these posts, sadly I no longer want this car. I got the Red Motor Control Error and my car came to a complete stop on the highway here in Los Angeles, luckily it wasnt rush hour, but it was scary none the less.

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just had the same thing happen to me yesterday and my dealer told me it was an old error message and it should be a one time thing. They cleared the message and told me I can come pick the car up. Oh and the loaner they gave me was a Macan that needs service. I've had my car for 2 weeks. After reading some of these posts, sadly I no longer want this car. I got the Red Motor Control Error and my car came to a complete stop on the highway here in Los Angeles, luckily it wasnt rush hour, but it was scary none the less.
@Lauryen828 I would not accept “it should be a one time thing” as a diagnosis. Your dealer needs to provide a clear diagnosis of the issue and explanation why it won’t happen again as getting stranded on a freeway is a life threatening problem.

Also, please report this problem on the nhtsa.gov website. As mentioned by others, NHTSA has recorded at least 4-5 instances of this issue on Taycan, so the more additional instances reported, the more uncomfortable it will be for Porsche. Also, you can mention to your dealer that you reported this issue to the NHTSA. Perhaps that will provide you a small bit of leverage. At the very least, you will have documented the issue.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
+1 on not accepting the car back without a full diagnosis. You can print the complaints from NHTSA side and tell them to contact Porsche NA and retrieve the service history of those vehicles. Tell them that according to reports from the owners of those vehicles they had problem either with the DC converter cable (early recall) or main EV battery which I am sure the dealer can verify once they get the VINs and history from Porsche NA.
Then ask the dealer to work with Porsche to find what is the problem in your case. If they insist there is no problem and the car is safe to drive, ask them to write that in the service report.

Lauryen828

First Name
Lauryen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Lauryen828 I would not accept “it should be a one time thing” as a diagnosis. Your dealer needs to provide a clear diagnosis of the issue and explanation why it won’t happen again as getting stranded on a freeway is a life threatening problem.

Also, please report this problem on the nhtsa.gov website. As mentioned by others, NHTSA has recorded at least 4-5 instances of this issue on Taycan, so the more additional instances reported, the more uncomfortable it will be for Porsche. Also, you can mention to your dealer that you reported this issue to the NHTSA. Perhaps that will provide you a small bit of leverage. At the very least, you will have documented the issue.
Absolutely! I told them yesterday I needed to know exactly "What Error It was" I needed to understand what caused it. They kept it again overnight to charge it fully and retest it. I will be reporting it to the NHTSA for sure. This is completely unacceptable and Porsche needs to figure thigs out before there someone is seriously injured.
Sponsored