I lost all power in the outside lane

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
My Taycan Turbo S stopped again on the highway yesterday, May 15th. The last time was April 27th. This is not good :facepalm: I might not be so lucky next time, and worrying about an accident!

On both incidents, I had the latest software installed. I've got an appointment with my Porsche Center on May 18th. I will not take easy on this . . .

Last edited:

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My dealer has recently added the patch discussed earlier in the thread. Porsche acknowledged the error and the patch does fix the issue. I would ask for this to be installed.
Thank you very much! That vital information must have passed my knowledge. It suddenly looks a little brighter for me then??

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As of yet, the solution to the problem is to restart by turning the vehicle off and then back on. After that the system and "engine failure" seems to function normal. Then I can select drive and take off :captain:

Last edited:

RCTaycan4s+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
My dealer has recently added the patch discussed earlier in the thread. Porsche acknowledged the error and the patch does fix the issue. I would ask for this to be installed.
Do you have the name of the patch or a version number by any chance. I need to get this to my dealer as my car has been off the road for 4 weeks now & waiting on a patch.

Computerglitch

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG 43 , 997
Country flag
As of yet, the solution to the problem is to restart by turning the vehicle off and then back on. After that the system and "engine failure" seems to function normal. Then I can select drive and take off :captain:

[not sure if I can seriously allow my wife to drive this. She wouldn't have stayed as calm as you did. I think I'm going to cancel my RWD order until these problems are resolved. I know you can get a tyre blow out but no power on a British motorway ....too much of a worry ]

Stealthtaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry to hear. The fault is caused by the DME SW bug. Your dealer should be able to add the patch for this. Porsche should really make a statement about this instead of waiting for customers to have a very scary expereince.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Does everyone here not understand that a update that caused a regression is a sign of extreme incompetence at the Porsche software end of things.

Patching a regression bug on a control system like this means Porsche is not up to the task of keeping this vehicle safely on the road because they neither do the testing nor have the procedures to prevent this.

How often will Porsche’s updates work, introduce new issues or have fundamental controls design flaws like this. It’s a massive red flag.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Sorry to hear. The fault is caused by the DME SW bug. Your dealer should be able to add the patch for this. Porsche should really make a statement about this instead of waiting for customers to have a very scary expereince.
Forgive my ignorance, but what does DME stand for?

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Does everyone here not understand that a update that caused a regression is a sign of extreme incompetence at the Porsche software end of things.

Patching a regression bug on a control system like this means Porsche is not up to the task of keeping this vehicle safely on the road because they neither do the testing nor have the procedures to prevent this.

How often will Porsche’s updates work, introduce new issues or have fundamental controls design flaws like this. It’s a massive red flag.
I think you have a valid point here, but I don’t fully agree. There are manufacturing variances and in a complex system with what may not be the most reliable communication buss between components this may have been hard to catch. Say there is something on the “edge” about the comms, and say it impact 3% of the cars due to maybe manufacturing variances, car condition (who knows, temp, system combo, usage of other control systems). You can test exenstively with a fleet of 100 cars and not hit the problem.

We don’t know how many people total are impacted by this. Yes it is a significant issue, but we may be talking about low numbers. And they have seemed to have issued a patch quickly.

I guess its hard to test in customer fleet without betas. And Tesla seems comfortable with the idea of using customers as beta testers, major car manufacturers are not there yet.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

I agree with you and this together with their lack of transparent communication is very worrisome. Introducing a serious bugs is one thing but knowing about it and not recalling and fix the affected cars is even worst. It is unacceptable that owners have to dig into forums to find what software patch to request to make their cars safe to drive.

Computerglitch

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG 43 , 997
Country flag
Many thanks for the Info......Cars not starting or silly display messages I can accept. No power with family onboard (especially wife driving)really concerns me. Absolutely gutted to cancel my order, and could probably be easily convinced to change my mind if Porsche were up front with it. Lots of owners have has this problem and someone will say 99% of people haven't.....thats not really the point. I also worry that Porsche might come out after my purchase and admit the problem, leaving me with a tainted re sale down the line.

cgfrndpor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E-Tron; 2021 4S; ex_BMW540
Country flag

it is a major problem but there have been many instances of fully tested software bringing down entire systems; airlines, software companies come to mind. It not excusable but it maybe doesn't get to the level of extreme incompetence when it has happened to a number of companies that only deal with software. These cars are very complicated and should not present safety hazards and Porsche must make certain corrections are made.

BuckStrom

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
II haven't had this issue but I am only 1 month into ownership. Is there any way to determine if my car needs the patch? I would rather not wait until this happens to me before fixing the problem.

Buck

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
it is a major problem but there have been many instances of fully tested software bringing down entire systems; airlines, software companies come to mind. It not excusable but it maybe doesn't get to the level of extreme incompetence when it has happened to a number of companies that only deal with software. These cars are very complicated and should not present safety hazards and Porsche must make certain corrections are made.
Actually in controls system it does. When a system fails in a plane due to a bit flip or a software error, the engines don't cut out. And if that was the case, then the FAA would be investigating and grounding it. When large service systems go down, per to SLA, it is consider a big issue. The incompetence comes into play when the fixes create MORE issues, due to lack of controls and regression testing.

The world runs safely on this NOT happening regularly and when it does happen, treated as an extremely dangerous situation.
Sponsored