Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had my car fixed & returned today. There was an issue with the DME & the Porsche centre here downloaded the patch & tested the car for 2 days. Another car here in Melbourne had the same issue & received the same patch. So it looks like there is a simple software fix.
Can you please confirm if the new patch that was installed updated a user visible version number we can see from the PCM ? Otherwise, there is no way to version control what software is actually installed in your car which is a disaster for many reasons.
Sponsored

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can you please confirm if the new patch that was installed updated a user visible version number we can see from the PCM ? Otherwise, there is no way to version control what software is actually installed in your car which is a disaster for many reasons.
Almost certainly you cannot see the versions of the various modules in PCM. You never could. They only thing you can see is the PCM and the User Interface version.
For example, WMA5 upgraded the car from version 8.x to 12.x but that was not user visible.

farazkhu2

First Name
Fa Fa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 750i, Taycan
Country flag
Hi Fa
I had only placed 5k deposit down. Also I hadn't got to the point of finalising the spec so was able to get my money back. If it was just myself , I would have probably continued with the purchase as I really do think its a great car.....just iffy on the software. I hope you're able to get your money back if you really want to, if not I'm sure you could sell it for what you've paid.

I really don't want to cancel my purchase but was curious how it works. So far my build is delayed a month, I have a feeling it might get delayed a lot more due to chip shortage. Porsche wasn't honest about it upfront, they keep saying that they are not impacted by chip shortages. Lets see how it all goes.

Thank you every one for more details, really helpful information.

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Almost certainly you cannot see the versions of the various modules in PCM. You never could. They only thing you can see is the PCM and the User Interface version.
For example, WMA5 upgraded the car from version 8.x to 12.x but that was not user visible.
With WMA6 update for MY21, at least the user visible PCM version was bumped to 3397. I was hoping something equivalent would be done here.

TomP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Carerra 4 GTS, GT4RS
Country flag
1621513880999.png

It looks like software version shown for Sequence 2 of the WMA5 (MY20) update is 0012 for the DME and 0011 for the PE, so yes there is a software update being installed based upon the work order shown above . (Updated to 0014 and 0012)

Attachments

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
1621513880999.png

It looks like software version shown for Sequence 2 of the WMA5 (MY20) update is 0012 for the DME and 0011 for the PE, so yes there is a software update being installed based upon the work order shown above . (Updated to 0014 and 0012)
Great finding!
Interestingly even the April 28th revision of WMA5 TSB has the same versions 0012 and 0011 as the original TSB (dated March 26), so it doesn't look like WMA5 update itself was changed at least until the end of April.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10191749-0001.pdf

MrGPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 991.2 GT3 6MT, 997.2 6MT, DB11,560SL
Country flag
We got our Taycan back after 2 days and they said they found faults for control unit communications issues, and that they did software updates for both control units and couldn't get the fault to duplicate (let's hope it never does..)

Valerian

First Name
Valerian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This was the report for my car. So far working well! Fingers crossed it doesn’t happen again.

CE2CBA64-AF03-4569-B4F2-B6D3D8CE51EF.jpeg
I had an issue in the UK tonight. I thought it odd that car went into range mode even though I had air con on. On M3 motorway... sat nav took me off at junction and then straight back onto motorway. Then the PCM system blanked and looked like trying to find a connection. Several miles later when I’m in the outside lane I felt a loss of power although nothing showed on dashboard as others have said. I managed to get over to inside lane probably about 50 mph maximum and won’t go faster. I saw signs for Fleet Services so made my way there ... just before I turned off I felt a power surge again. Got onto services and turned car off. Waited about ten mins and started up again. Went into Normal Mode and 60 miles home was fine except M25 congestion.... is this the same issue. Should I report to the dealer?

RCTaycan4s+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I had an issue in the UK tonight. I thought it odd that car went into range mode even though I had air con on. On M3 motorway... sat nav took me off at junction and then straight back onto motorway. Then the PCM system blanked and looked like trying to find a connection. Several miles later when I’m in the outside lane I felt a loss of power although nothing showed on dashboard as others have said. I managed to get over to inside lane probably about 50 mph maximum and won’t go faster. I saw signs for Fleet Services so made my way there ... just before I turned off I felt a power surge again. Got onto services and turned car off. Waited about ten mins and started up again. Went into Normal Mode and 60 miles home was fine except M25 congestion.... is this the same issue. Should I report to the dealer?
Not sure. Range mode does limit the car to 100 Kph and the car is not as responsive. Mine actually lost complete control of the pedals and steering - the drive control system.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Do you have the Porsche Intelligent Range Manager (PIRM) in your car? The PIRM does some weird things at times and limits speed and reduces aircon etc to save energy.

If you do not have PIRM I would absolutely take the car to the Sevice centre to get it checked. It is not unusual for the PCM to restart and go blank, but power loss is something else.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
PIRM is std on UK cars.
Can it be switched off completely? That would be my recommendation. It is very weird what it can do. And not particularly well programmed.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Can it be switched off completely? That would be my recommendation. It is very weird what it can do. And not particularly well programmed.
I think it can - Under Vehicle settings there's a sub menu and an option to "Allow advanced PIRM settings" - either on or off.

I do find it useful and pin point accurate.

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There have now been 10 reports filed with the US National highway and traffic safety administration (NHTSA), regarding this exact issue.

The report I filed two days ago was the 10th one: complete loss of power while driving 50 miles an hour on a busy freeway. Thank God I was able to coast downhill to an exit ramp.

Our 2020 Taycan 4S is currently in the shop, and who knows when we will get it back. Regardless, absent an absolute ironclad guarantee from Porsche that this will NEVER happen again, it’s hard to see how we can justify keeping the car, which we otherwise love.

B03F634B-0A9E-456D-B9CE-CB4FE37E8652.jpeg
Was your experience after the software updates or did this occur before you updated your car?