I lost all power in the outside lane

Raedwald

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had my 4s for 10 days when out of the blue I lost all power in the car and a red warning comes up saying to pull over and park the car. I was in the outside lane with a car on my inside and I had no acceleration so all I could do was bring the car to a stop. After stopping the car it would not give me any power to move. I'm stuck in the outside lane with traffic trying to get past me. I'm about to call for help when I decide to try turning off the car and turning it back on again. Luckily it comes back to life and I am on my way again and the car seems ok.

I call the dealership and they organise for it to be collected so they can figure out what caused it. After 10 days, and after they have escalated it to Germany, I am told they have been instructed to clear the fault and reset it and it should now be fine. I don't find this particularly convincing and I am trying to figure out what to do next.

Other than this experience massively taking the gloss of the experience of having a new car, being stuck in the outside lane was a very unpleasant experience and I still have doubt lingering in my mind that I'm not convinced this will have fixed it.

Part of me thinks I should return it and get a refund. Part of me thinks the engineers in Germany would not let it be released again if they thought it might happen again.

I would be interested in what others would do and if anyone knows of this occurring to anyone else. Thanks for your thoughts.
Sponsored

Matt8442

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo, Cayman GTS, Taycan 4S, Taycan Turbo S.
Country flag
I had my 4s for 10 days when out of the blue I lost all power in the car and a red warning comes up saying to pull over and park the car. I was in the outside lane with a car on my inside and I had no acceleration so all I could do was bring the car to a stop. After stopping the car it would not give me any power to move. I'm stuck in the outside lane with traffic trying to get past me. I'm about to call for help when I decide to try turning off the car and turning it back on again. Luckily it comes back to life and I am on my way again and the car seems ok.

I call the dealership and they organise for it to be collected so they can figure out what caused it. After 10 days, and after they have escalated it to Germany, I am told they have been instructed to clear the fault and reset it and it should now be fine. I don't find this particularly convincing and I am trying to figure out what to do next.

Other than this experience massively taking the gloss of the experience of having a new car, being stuck in the outside lane was a very unpleasant experience and I still have doubt lingering in my mind that I'm not convinced this will have fixed it.

Part of me thinks I should return it and get a refund. Part of me thinks the engineers in Germany would not let it be released again if they thought it might happen again.

I would be interested in what others would do and if anyone knows of this occurring to anyone else. Thanks for your thoughts.
Only issues I’m aware of are 12v battery issues and some PMCC overheating issues. Only worrying moment I had was first day of ownership driving along M27 in fast lane car went into range mode (I had not set it up at this point) and slowed me to 60 mph. People behind must have thought I was being a right knob. Anyway if that was me I’d take the car back and drive it as normal, if the fault re-appears then yes take the car back to the dealer and get refunded your money, remember if your within a 30 day period of owning the car and the original fault has happened then by law you are allowed full refund, but only after you have given the garage one attempt to fix it. If two weeks later the fault re-appears then your 30 day consumer rights law is still valid. I know this because we had a Mercedes GLE coupe that did something identical. Ended up three months later with full refund and that included all road fund license as well.
Also when it happens get a video, I know it’s not what your thinking of when broken down, but legally you can show the fault is there and means that the dealership cannot dispute it.
Thing is we are driving essentially P.Cs on wheels and sometimes these faults just need a hard reset to clear and continue.....

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Do you have innodrive on your car?

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
First time I'm hearing of something like this. This is more dangerous than the 12V issue. If I'm doing a tight overtake on a 2-lane road and this happens - it may be the last overtake I ever do. Of course would have to be incredibly unlucky for it to happen just in the wrong second especially as it seems this is an extremely rare issue. So not overly concerned.

Probably the reason they are not taking this super seriously yet is that they have no way of reproducing the issue and almost no one else has reported such an issue. And I hope this will remain as a rare one and hope your car continues to work properly.

Lots of KM have been driven with Taycan's in test and in real life with real owners, this is not a common occurrence. Important for everyone to understand. But I'm monitoring this and hoping this remains an extremely rare occurrence.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
I had my 4s for 10 days when out of the blue I lost all power in the car and a red warning comes up saying to pull over and park the car. I was in the outside lane with a car on my inside and I had no acceleration so all I could do was bring the car to a stop.

I have had the same type issue, twice now, one losing power on the highway, and one time the car just completely shut itself off. Unfortunately for me, when the car lost power, I didn't even get any warning signals until the car was almost stopped.

This is very disturbing to me. At this point, my wife won't even get into the car.

OP
OP

Raedwald

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have had the same type issue, twice now, one losing power on the highway, and one time the car just completely shut itself off. Unfortunately for me, when the car lost power, I didn't even get any warning signals until the car was almost stopped.

This is very disturbing to me. At this point, my wife won't even get into the car.
Sorry to hear you have had similar issues. What has your dealership done to fix the issue?

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry to hear you have had similar issues. What has your dealership done to fix the issue?
Nothing that I have any confidence in, or believe Germany actually knows what they are doing. My car is still in the shop. They had over 25 error messages they had to deal with just this last time.

Last edited:

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
The car should be able to coast for a while right? Can you turn the power off and on while coasting or will the steering wheel lock?

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The car should be able to coast for a while right? Can you turn the power off and on while coasting or will the steering wheel lock?
Actually, the first time, the car actually forced itself to come to a stop, which was extremely dangerous given I was on a highway, had no notifications on the screen this was happening, and had to find a place at the exact moment it stopped to be in a relatively safe place on the side of a highway.

It was not a good experience.

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
Sorry to hear this - pretty disconcerting!

@Singularity i had that - in a Golf R with front radar detection and collision avoidance. I was doing an overtake which i knew was good and safe, albeit fast, and just as i was about to pull back in (at a pretty high speed) the car emergency braked to try and avoiding an accident with the incoming vehicle.

The reality is it almost caused a very serious collision which may well have been fatal. Sometimes it is speed you need not the brakes and to slow down!

It was very unpleasant and has made me *very* nervous of any kind of automation.

Rodaz

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag

I had a similar problem a few times on my Panamera Hybrid, always seemed to be a simple relay issue, sometimes I would have to wait 10 minutes before it would restart, I have changed to a 4S now and so far no problems

GileP

First Name
Giles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve had this problem too (4S battery +) Just exited a village and accelerated once past the derestricted signs. Red warning light comes on saying there is no power and I should pull over and stop. Car was coasting but no power. The lane was quiet so no drama to pull over and stop. If it coasts then might still be ok even if it happens on motorway. Anyway, got out of the car, locked it, unlocked it and it was all fine again.

but on a £90k car this is just not acceptable. Good advice above to photo if happens again.

will report back if it does
Sponsored