festus_mcBitcoin

First Name
Festus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 Turbo S, 2021 TTS (June 11)
Country flag
II haven't had this issue but I am only 1 month into ownership. Is there any way to determine if my car needs the patch? I would rather not wait until this happens to me before fixing the problem.

Buck
Yeah, I have the same question. My Porsche is sitting in a San Diego harbor dock somewhere waiting to be transported to dealer for purchase. Can I assume that this "patch" has been installed prior to shipping? Is it really up to me as a customer to know exactly which patch(es) need to be installed prior to driving the car off the lot?
Sponsored

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yeah, I have the same question. My Porsche is sitting in a San Diego harbor dock somewhere waiting to be transported to dealer for purchase. Can I assume that this "patch" has been installed prior to shipping? Is it really up to me as a customer to know exactly which patch(es) need to be installed prior to driving the car off the lot?
The US dealers cannot install anything to new cars unless there is Technical Service Bulletin from motherland asking them to do so. For example, there is a bulletin asking the dealers to upgrade PMCC.

I personally doubt there is an official patch yet. I believe the member who said the dealer told them they patched the software but that doesn't mean the dealer actually did anything or the patch is officially released. I would appreciate if someone with the alleged patch could share the work order.
If there is an official patch then it should have an official version and a corresponding bulletin at least in the US. Unless I see those I don't believe the patch is available.

RCTaycan4s+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I was called yesterday that my car has received the software update and they are testing it over the next 2 days to confirm a fix. I am not sure whether this is a whole system update or a patch. Once I get the car back I will try my best to ask as many questions so that I can find out the name of the patch/software version.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
My dealer informed that they have no knowledge of any patch to fix this problem (which in my case occurred after the new software install March 26th). My two incidents as of yet was April 27th and May 15th.

Further Porsche said that the solution is to replace the whole main battery (the large one placed under the vehicle). Several owners have already had their main battery replaced, which apparently solve this serious issue.

I’m not very keen about doing such a big repair on a almost new Porsche, only driven ca 4350 miles / 7000 km.

If any upside, it must be that my workshop have gathered some experience on the other vehicles with the replacements. Then it’s less chance of damage.

Often other things happens when doing big and complex jobs on my former vehicles, like my Mercedes S-classes and Tesla’s.

Right now I’m a disappointed owner ?

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
My dealer informed that they have no knowledge of any patch to fix this problem (which in my case occurred after the new software install March 26th). My two incidents as of yet was April 27th and May 15th.

Further Porsche said that the solution is to replace the whole main battery (the large one placed under the vehicle). Several owners have already had their main battery replaced, which apparently solve this serious issue.

I’m not very keen about doing such a big repair on a almost new Porsche, only driven ca 4350 miles / 7000 km.

Disappointed owner ?
This is scary! Let alone the experience of suddenly loosing all power, but then the fact that Porsche do not seem to have the slightest clue what causes the problem. It certainly means we will reconsider using the Taycan for a couple of European tours planned for the summer. I for one would not like to get stuck on a German autobahn.

I am also disappointed about the overall Porsche experience now, given that they never proactively take on the problems. Seems Porsche can build great mechanical cars, but SW is diabolical in the cars.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is scary! Let alone the experience of suddenly loosing all power, but then the fact that Porsche do not seem to have the slightest clue what causes the problem. It certainly means we will reconsider using the Taycan for a couple of European tours planned for the summer. I for one would not like to get stuck on a German autobahn.

I am also disappointed about the overall Porsche experience now, given that they never proactively take on the problems. Seems Porsche can build great mechanical cars, but SW is diabolical in the cars.
I’m thinking the same, and we’re postponing our road trip this summer. This is a really a drawback.

An unwanted stop on the Autobahn can be fatal. So can a stop in a tunnel, or road/turns with reduced visibility.

It all comes down to safety which is vital, and a obviously minimum requirement on vehicles of 2020 and later.

Stealthtaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I can’t believe all these issues and still Porsche won’t acknowledge it. Surely the dealers are contacting them directly so they must be aware. Is there anything else we can do as customers.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
If this was a Tesla issue, it would be all over the media outlets that cover things EV, business journals, etc. to point out the folly of “those electric cars”, Tesla’s lack of a dealer network, etc. Typically these newsbytes gloss over the fact that Tesla (usually) is quick to own their problems & is (again usually) fairly transparent about the work done to fix an issue. It’s just an opportunity for the media to “make” news.

The irony is that since it’s Porsche, the media is apparently less inclined to publicize the story. If that were to happen, it might force Porsche to be a little more forthcoming about the situation.

What I really don’t get is why at least for US issues the NHTSA isn’t all over this, given that a number of reports have been filed by TF members? I’m sure that agency gets tens of thousands of complaints/month, but you’d think a problem of this magnitude would bubble to the top.

Last edited:

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
That NHTSA website is a little goldmine full of information. Do a search for 2020 Porsche Taycan on https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls#vehicle and scroll down to find 208(is a clickable link on that page) manufacturer communications from Porsche about the Taycan. I don't think it's correct to say that Porsche isn't aware of issues.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just got back from the Porsche workshop. They have after consulting headquarters, been synchronizing both electric engines. That is the instructions they received, and told me to call in if the problem occurs again.

Regarding changing the main battery I earlier was told to be the solution for several, is no option for me as of yet. These customers had red warning in several screens, total black down, and not possible to wake up by restarting (like mine). Somewhat like a “Microsoft Windows bluscreen” I guess. Hopefully I can avoid this procedure.

So, today I spent a few hours back in the corner at Porsche, with great view of other nice vehicles, while doing some business calls. Not so bad actually, also had a good drive back and forth. I’m trying to stay positive ?

Porsche Taycan I lost all power in the outside lane 1621353845925

Last edited:

Computerglitch

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG 43 , 997
Country flag
I just got back from the Porsche workshop. They have after consulting headquarters, been synchronizing both electric engines. That is the instructions they received, and told me to call in if the problem occurs again.

Regarding changing the main battery I earlier was told to be the solution for several, is no option for me as of yet. These customers had red warning in several screens, total black down, and not possible to wake up by restarting (like mine). Somewhat like a “Microsoft Windows bluscreen” I guess. Hopefully I can avoid this procedure.

So, today I spent a few hours back in the corner at Porsche, with great view of other nice vehicles, while doing some business calls. Not so bad actually, also had a good drive back and forth. I’m trying to stay positive ?

1621353845925.jpeg
Good luck mate....I've just confirmed that my deposit be returned, I'll look at the taycans again next year. I hope it all works out for you.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good luck mate....I've just confirmed that my deposit be returned, I'll look at the taycans again next year. I hope it all works out for you.
Thank you very much, I appreciate that! I’m sure this will work out one way or the other, and that you hopefully can soon to put a new deposit down on a Taycan ✌?

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

1621353845925.jpeg
Any idea if the software update (or some wrong step that the dealer performed) resulted in the motors need re-calibration? It doesn't sound like a coincidence that problems started right after the update.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Any idea if the software update (or some wrong step that the dealer performed) resulted in the motors need re-calibration? It doesn't sound like a coincidence that problems started right after the update.
I have no proof of this, but my stomach tells me that there may be a connection as everything worked well before the update. I guess I have to see in the next few weeks and months if this event happens again. If not, I think we may suspect that there was an error in the software or installation step. But if so, the fault must be found elsewhere.

Time will tell. That being said, especially in this issue, I'm pretty impatient (usually not very good at waiting for anything ... my wife claims) ? I guess several others in this forum might come up with the solution in front of me. As for now and the weeks to come, I will drive mostly in the right lane. . . just in case.
Sponsored

Last edited: