Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
But then my Taycan goes around corners much faster than my Audi A7.

Have you raced your TS?

No. I really don't have any desire to take it on the track for several reasons. First, it is so damned heavy... My Cayman Interseries is about half the weight (and less than half the HP) and I'm spoiled.

Second, I would need to recharge the car frequently, and that might be tough. Finally the main reason is I would smoke the tires for sure in a few sessions if I really drove the car. And of course, if I'm not going to really drive it, why take it to the track??
Sponsored

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Because you never know what the car is really capable of?
Ok, I will agree that you won't experience the limits of the car off the track. And I also agree that it would be nice to probe the limits of the car (on a track with plenty of runoff...). I could to this in just one track session - tough to justify when you're paying for at least a whole day, but hey, I'll keep it in mind. Maybe when the tires are almost ready to change out...:idea:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
my experience at Laguna suggest the tires will easily outlast the battery - so unless you’re a glutton for punishment and go out multiple times after letting the battery cool down you really can’t blow through a set of tires in a day with a Taycan - this is certainly true if there is no near by fast charging (and by near by I’m talking 10 min real time or less from the track).

I’d estimate I blew through 40% of my tread wear for my 3 laguna sessions last year.

the tires _EASILY_ outlast the battery - I wouldn’t worry about an 8 lap “trial” session to just see what the behemoth can do - the instant torque off an apex is a hoot - braking takes longer than you’d like - and cornering has a bit of understeer…but you forget the understeer mid corner when you can go power and ohhhhh sooooo much power it is…leave the nannies on and the adjustments are soooo subtle given the EV drive train that the damm thing is nearly consequence free (YMMV).

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Ok, I will agree that you won't experience the limits of the car off the track. And I also agree that it would be nice to probe the limits of the car (on a track with plenty of runoff...). I could to this in just one track session - tough to justify when you're paying for at least a whole day, but hey, I'll keep it in mind. Maybe when the tires are almost ready to change out...:idea:
As far as I remember, when my instructor took me in the TS on a round, the breaks were smoking, but not the tires.:clap:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Taycan is heavy braking and turning in but once you hit that apex and can lay down gobs of power through all four wheels and it just keeps going if that last turn was before a bit of a straight away - I'll pay to be unable to use all the sessions due to the battery, to have to stay close to a far away track to charge overnight, etc. It's all worth it.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
my over all point is that you really can't wear down the tires unless you can keep the car on the track driving at near it's limits - there is no question that a 5,100 lbs sedan with gobs of power will overwhelm and "wear" the streets DOT tires at an accelerated rate - but you have to have the fuel capacity and stamina to drive the car long enough on track to cause the accelerated wear…and based on my experience that's simply not the case.

@ Laguna at full pace - you can drive hard for about 15 min - each session will use 45-55% of the battery - that means you can drive for 30 minutes before needing to visit a fast charger to top off the battery…

by my rough SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) a new set of tires would require about 4-6 hours of solid track time "at the limits" - maybe less time, but not much more time - that's 16-24 15 minute sessions - of one battery = 2 sessions - then you have to fully charge the Taycan Battery 12 times to have that much track time - I also believe 24 15 min sessions would certainly be the outer reaches of tire life…so probably less - but we're guessing here.

and the Taycan simply doesn't have the stamina to blow through the tires with out some serious @ track 350 kW charging support…you just can't drive it solid for 3 hours of track time in a single day

if you want to track the taycan as a "let's see what it can do it will be fun" experience - go ahead - the battery will temper your tire wear and as long as you don't flog the Taycan over and over and over - the natural rhythms of how long you can be on track before having to charge the car will prevent you from ruining a set of tires in short order…

Reactions: Reg

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hydrogen isn’t going to happen for consumer vehicles. It’s more expensive, less efficient, and lacking infrastructure even worse than EVs.

it has two insurmountable problems. Battery tech is improving faster than hydrogen tech. There isn’t a viable market reason to invest enough to deploy hydrogen at the same scale as EVs fast enough to avoid being mooted by improved battery tech

second, no matter how much more efficient hydrogen becomes, it will always be more efficient to use hydrogen to power an industrial power plant and charge an EV than to ship hydrogen to a car and burn it in a tiny heavily reinforced to not explode engine.

this is state of the art in consumer fuel cell: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Mirai#Second_generation_(JPD20;_2020)

it’s inferior to Tesla and taycan in every way. There’s no path for it to reach economies of scale necessary to compete with EVs

now industrial shipping and flying are different stories
Sponsored