daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
took the Model X on a journey the other night (brought the dog) - was reminded how good the Supercharger network is…12 stalls - back in - plug-in & charge - no app, no moving stalls, no long initializing steps where it might fail - just plug-in & charge…EA may be getting better - but they have a long ways to go.
Sponsored

Jon Steinmetz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
took the Model X on a journey the other night (brought the dog) - was reminded how good the Supercharger network is…12 stalls - back in - plug-in & charge - no app, no moving stalls, no long initializing steps where it might fail - just plug-in & charge…EA may be getting better - but they have a long ways to go.
Every now and then Elon Musk drops hints about sharing their network with other cars. I would love to see them sell a high power adapter that would allow me to charge. Here in the Midwest EA is almost non-existent and access to the Tesla network would make a huge difference.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Every now and then Elon Musk drops hints about sharing their network with other cars. I would love to see them sell a high power adapter that would allow me to charge. Here in the Midwest EA is almost non-existent and access to the Tesla network would make a huge difference.
that alone would make the 150 kW 400V option on the Taycan a slam dunk - since the entire Supercharger network is nothing more than a 400V fastDC charging network…

outside North America you don’t even need an adapter - just the billing/business agreements in place - the physical plug already “works” and some non-Tesla’s have accidently been able to charge when the supercharger network was not configured properly for billing checks…

in North America we need an adapter + business agreements (for billing) and software updates on the vehicle to support plug&charge since superchargers have no point-of-sale interface...

my bet is on the following:
  • Elon will eventually move to CCS on the North American Tesla’s
  • retro fit all existing super chargers with dual cables
    • legacy tesla connector cable
    • new CCS connector cable
    • only one active at any stall at a given time
  • physical design of the stalls is “key” because CCS cars have the charge ports in different locations - right now Tesla superchargers are designed specifically for Tesla vehicles and their charge point locations
    • super short cables that can only reach a Tesla
    • there will have to be a lot of physical work in this space to support non-Tesla’s - this will delay any possible roll out…because of the need to physically modify the stalls nationwide.
I’d love to see this and think it is inevitable - just time frame is unclear - certainly beyond the 3 year horizon…

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
that alone would make the 150 kW 400V option on the Taycan a slam dunk - since the entire Supercharger network is nothing more than a 400V fastDC charging network…

outside North America you don’t even need an adapter - just the billing/business agreements in place - the physical plug already “works” and some non-Tesla’s have accidently been able to charge when the supercharger network was not configured properly for billing checks…

in North America we need an adapter + business agreements (for billing) and software updates on the vehicle to support plug&charge since superchargers have no point-of-sale interface...

my bet is on the following:
  • Elon will eventually move to CCS on the North American Tesla’s
  • retro fit all existing super chargers with dual cables
    • legacy tesla connector cable
    • new CCS connector cable
    • only one active at any stall at a given time
  • physical design of the stalls is “key” because CCS cars have the charge ports in different locations - right now Tesla superchargers are designed specifically for Tesla vehicles and their charge point locations
    • super short cables that can only reach a Tesla
    • there will have to be a lot of physical work in this space to support non-Tesla’s - this will delay any possible roll out…because of the need to physically modify the stalls nationwide.
I’d love to see this and think it is inevitable - just time frame is unclear - certainly beyond the 3 year horizon…
Tesla has offered to allow other manufacturers to use the SpC network. They need to “buy in” and nobody has taken Elon up on it. There have been pictures of a few CCS cars in Europe testing on SpCs. Elon confirmed it on an earnings call.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If I'm not mistaken, 2021 Taycan does not require an app. You just plug in and charge like Tesla and Superchargers.

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
If I'm not mistaken, 2021 Taycan does not require an app. You just plug in and charge like Tesla and Superchargers.
As long as you don’t have a 19.2kW charger...?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
and it works - which most of the time it doesn’t

good luck with that.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag