I Went For It… Let Me Know Your Thoughts (Build)

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'd skip 1. 19 KW onboard charger and 2. the 400V inverter.

for 1 the amount of power you will need to be able to supply vs the standard 9 kw is just outlandish, as others have mentioned 100 amps.

back in the day the early Tesla Model S' came with an option for dual onboard chargers to enable up to 80 amps, but they removed it relatively early in the car's life because people never needed it. and most people do not have even an 80 amps charging circuit in their home.

My new construction condo comes with a 50A charging outlet in the garage and I am very happy to run a 42 amp charger on that to give myself a very nice 6 hr charge time from %30-%100, if for example I were intending to leave on a road trip the next morning.

IMO, you do not need it, as you cannot even come close to a "fast" charge on AC power. and if you did need a fast charge, a 25 min DC charging session (3 years of 30 mins for free!) at an EA station will be 10x as fast even with 100 amps of AC power!

for 2, people also discuss the 400V secondary charger in reference to the future of Superchargers opening up. all of Tesla's V3 superchargers (the good 250KW+ ones) are 800V and thus would not require converter hardware.

I would personally not spec either of these options - dealer is perhaps not aware of these facts/viewpoints. Very nice build otherwise!
Sponsored

Last edited: