I wish I had had an extended test drive!

IBZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD (ordered), 911 Carrera S (992)
Country flag
Our dealer has kindly lent us a T4S whilst our 911 is in for work. We also have a RWD Taycan on order. Man do I wish we were given an extended test drive! We had 20 minutes or so in a T4S several months before we ordered our car, but nothing beats a week in a car.

What I have learned:
  • I LOVE the power of the 4S. I hope the RWD doesn’t disappoint and I don’t regret having not ordered a 4S
  • I love the ambient lighting, electric charger ports, courtesy lights on the doors, illuminated door floor plates, sports chrono (I just didn’t get it, but now I do) - I regret not ticking these boxes
  • I love crayon - the colour is just stunning in all lights (I’ve gone for Carrera White)
  • I am so glad I optioned: Matrix Headlights (these are some kind of magic from the future ?); pano roof, air suspension, Bose (if you love music, you must tick this - to my semi-trained ears it sounds amongst the best in-car hi-if systems I have heard and I’ve had Bose, B&O and Harman Kardan in my cars); folding mirrors (this car is HUGE and it’s a crime they aren’t included); 150kW Pubic Charger; passenger display and those beautiful Misson Es!

LKA and LCA are gems and I’ve been used to these options from my Lexus. Haven’t tried cruise yet (I have Innodrive optioned on mine).

The one option which surprised me is Porsche Electric Sports Sound. Yes, I like it, but would I spec it again? I don’t think so and this is coming from someone where this was one of my top options. I saw and heard a Taycan with it on at the dealership when on my test drive and was like wow! However, like others, I’m finding myself having it switched off more than on, and that’s after just a week.

This would have been our first Porsche (had my wife not beat me to it with her 911 ?), so I wish I had spent more time at the dealer choosing my options and testing cars for longer.

I’m sure I will be very happy as these cars are simply light years ahead of anything I have driven. I feel like an excited kid!
Sponsored

Last edited:

DGT

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Targa 4S, '21 Cayenne S, '21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Our dealer has kindly lent us a T4S whilst our 911 is in for work. We also have a RWD Taycan on order. Man do I wish we were given an extended test drive! We had 20 minutes or so in a T4S several months before we ordered our car, but nothing beats a week in a car.

What I have learned:
  • I LOVE the power of the 4S. I hope the RWD doesn’t disappoint and I don’t regret having not ordered a 4S
  • I love the ambient lighting, electric charger ports, courtesy lights on the doors, illuminated door floor plates, sports chrono (I just didn’t get it, but now I do) - I regret not ticking these boxes
  • I love crayon - the colour is just stunning in all lights (I’ve gone for Carrera White)
  • I am so glad I optioned: Matrix Headlights (these are some kind of magic from the future ?); pano roof, air suspension, Bose (if you love music, you must tick this - to my semi-trained ears it sounds amongst the best in-car hi-if systems I have heard and I’ve had Bose, B&O and Harman Kardan in my cars); folding mirrors (this car is HUGE and it’s a crime they aren’t included); 150kW Pubic Charger; passenger display and those beautiful Misson Es!

LKA and LCA are gems and I’ve been used to these options from my Lexus. Haven’t tried cruise yet (I have Innodrive optioned on mine).

The one option which surprised me is Porsche Electric Sports Sound. Yes, I like it, but would I spec it again? I don’t think so and this is coming from someone where this was one of my top options. I saw and heard a Taycan with it on at the dealership when on my test drive and was like wow! However, like others, I’m finding myself having it switched off more than on, and that’s after just a week.

This would have been our first Porsche (had my wife not best me to it with her 911 ?), so I wish I had spent more time at the dealer choosing my options and testing cars for longer.

I’m sure I will be very happy as these cars are simply light years ahead of anything I have driven. I feel like an excited kid!
You'll be happy with it, but your wife comes out the winner with the 911.

tomtom901

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD ST
Country flag
Man, you literally have the best of both worlds in a bit. A 911 and a Taycan! Congrats!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
What I have learned:
I'll think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the power in RWD. I find it to have PLENTY of juice especially from a ~30mph roll. (I have a 991.2 C2 with tune & '21 Cayenne GTS)

Crayon/chalk is incredible. Pano roof, air suspension & BOSE are must haves IMO. Taycan BOSE is definitely better than BOSE in my 991.2 and the best BOSE system in a Porsche IMO. (i do miss Burmester from 970 panamera) Yes, ambient lighting is a MUST for me - really is a great option and a must in modern high-end vehicles.

ChalkTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
I'll think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the power in RWD. I find it to have PLENTY of juice especially from a ~30mph roll. (I have a 991.2 C2 with tune & '21 Cayenne GTS)

Crayon/chalk is incredible. Pano roof, air suspension & BOSE are must haves IMO. Taycan BOSE is definitely better than BOSE in my 991.2 and the best BOSE system in a Porsche IMO. (i do miss Burmester from 970 panamera) Yes, ambient lighting is a MUST for me - really is a great option and a must in modern high-end vehicles.
RWD is not slow but definitely sluggish off the line especially for an EV. I test drove Turbo, 4s, and RWD and my wife picked the one in the middle. Turbo is too quick for normal use and RWD is too slow for a $100k car. On the other hand, I do feel RWD is the best value out of the bunch.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
RWD is not slow but definitely sluggish off the line especially for an EV. I test drove Turbo, 4s, and RWD and my wife picked the one in the middle. Turbo is too quick for normal use and RWD is too slow for a $100k car. On the other hand, I do feel RWD is the best value out of the bunch.
This was my experience after test driving the RWD and 4S. I truly enjoyed driving both, but I ended up cancelling my RWD order and buying a certified pre-owned 4S.

To me, RWD drives like your everyday standard luxury sedan, i.e. Audi A6, BMW 540i. 4S drives like a proper sports sedan, i.e. Audi RS6, BMW M5.