I'd Appreciate POV's On Rear Axle Steering

RKZ

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Panamera GTS sold 2023 Taycan 4s Arrived!
Country flag
I've searched this forum for quite awhile looking to get some feedback on whether to add this option to my 2023 4S build. Seems that those who have it say they'd add it again if they were to order the car again and those who don't have say they don't miss it. One of the best comments (here or perhaps another forum) said, "When on the highway, it makes the car feel like a long wheelbase car and when turning at slow speeds it makes a long wheelbase car feel like a short wheelbase car. At $1,630 for the option, I'd love to get feedback from any of you who may have put a fair number of miles on Taycans with and without the option. Thanks!
Sponsored

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Tesla Model X Pld, '24 GLS450
Country flag
I think it’s a must have. I received my GTS a few weeks ago and love it. Big difference noticed at slow speeds. Makes it easy to maneuver in parking lots and Uturns. 3 point turns are a little awkward with the shifter location. I can’t say I notice it too much at high speeds, but it may be because this is the best and sportiest car I’ve ever owned so I can’t determine how much of that is attributable to the RAS.

The car is very wide and longer than you think. I don’t think you’ll regret it.

proficient_mathematician

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Seems that those who have it say they'd add it again if they were to order the car again and those who don't have say they don't miss it.
That seems to be the crux of it. I would just mention that the rear axle steering on the Taycan angles the rear wheels by up to 2.8 degrees (for comparison, on Mercedes-Benz EQS it is 4.5 or 10 degrees). This reduces the turning circle from 11.8 metres to 11.2 metres (as per Porsche). The advantage (on paper) is so small that I chose to forgo RAS in my spec. Others can probably offer more insight as to its practical benefits, but if you’re really conflicted I’m not sure there’s any way around just test driving a Taycan with and without RAS.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Agree that it is a really impactful feature, particularly for maneuvering around parking lots. Wheelbase is longer than you think, so you would be reminded every time you are in a tight spot (which for me is daily) that you did not get it. This is what distinguishes it from other "nice to have" options like Burmester or full leather, which you generally don't miss day to day. At least for me.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wish I had it solely because I have to do a little 3 or 4 point dance coming out of my garage and into my driveway. It's a big car. Beyond that, once i got used to the size of the car and its dimensions (and thus no longer worried about crashing into fixed objects) and now that I have the 4 point backing out process down to a routine, I think my view on its necessity has changed somewhat as more of a nice to have than something I regret not getting.

Edit - I also have a fixed and large parking spot at work and parking spaces here in Austin tend to F-250 sized. That mitigates my regrets.

TxnBluDvl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I find it important, and I’d order it again. As noted by others, this is an especially long and wide car. It’s actually almost as long and as wide as our Land Cruiser.

I find RAS is most noticeable and useful in parking the car and also in taking low speed right hand turns.

It makes quick work of minimizing three point turns. Tight spots are much easier to get into. And making a right right hand turn isn’t difficult — you avoid having to swing wide since the car almost pivots on a center point.

I actually don’t notice it much at high speeds. The car is pretty well planted as is.

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
FWIW, I did not option RAS on my A7, which is pretty close to Taycan size/wheelbase/turning circle etc.... Must admit I have never had occasion to regret that - I never have a problem parking or manoeuvring in tight spaces - or driving fast on country roads etc. Don't really think about it.

When I test drove a Taycan without RAS I found it slightly more manoeuvrable than my A7 (U-turns etc) and much better handling on the twisties as expected. So, given a non-RAS Taycan is an improvement on a perfectly suited A7 - RAS never really figured in my thinking.

No doubt if I tried RAS, I would find it a revelation and would be converted - but I don't suffer from FOMO too much.

Just my Luddite 2 cents

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
If you don't order it I would add Power Steering plus which makes a big difference at slow speeds. The Taycan CT is very similar in dimensions to my X5 so I didn't add it to my configuration as I have had 3 X5 so very used to driving a reasonable large vehicle everyday. I test drove a Taycan GTS with it and only noticed it when doing a u turn which the car made in one manoeuvre and my wife commented that it turned like a London taxi. Overall I felt I can live without it and would rather spend the money on things.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I don’t have it and have no trouble driving or manoeuvring my car. I seem able to park in tight spaces where needed and don’t find myself having trouble in car parks. So I don’t see the point, given the small change it gives in turning circle. Of course if I had experienced it I might think differently. Who knows?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I've searched this forum for quite awhile looking to get some feedback on whether to add this option to my 2023 4S build. Seems that those who have it say they'd add it again if they were to order the car again and those who don't have say they don't miss it. One of the best comments (here or perhaps another forum) said, "When on the highway, it makes the car feel like a long wheelbase car and when turning at slow speeds it makes a long wheelbase car feel like a short wheelbase car. At $1,630 for the option, I'd love to get feedback from any of you who may have put a fair number of miles on Taycans with and without the option. Thanks!
Depends what you're used to.

I've had it since Nov'20 and would always tick the box (note power steering plus (a must have) is included too).

I didn't have it on my previous car (Panamera.ST) which has essentially the same dimensions, I could park it just as easily in the same regular parking spots.

High speed driving you wouldn't necessarily experience any benefit and I'd wager you couldn't discern any difference if blind tested.

Steering angle is.very subtle to the point where you may be unaware of its existence.

On paper it makes sense and if budget permits I'd tick the box.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
A fellow STL person!

Looks like you have a Panamera now?

We traded in a Panamera for a Taycan.

It’s not hard to maneuver a “larger” car in STL (many people have giant trucks), and if you’re already used to the Panamera, you find the Taycan better already without RAS.

That doesn’t mean there isn’t an additional benefit to RAS, but I don’t find it necessary in this area.

Last edited:

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Here is my answer on a similar thread:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/rear-wheel-steering.11106/post-161388

Lofty

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Disco 5, Defender V8
Country flag
I have power steering plus and rear axle steering makes it a dream for parking and the turn in at speed is amazing! You can feel it tuck in on the rear when you turn in at speed.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Don't hesitate - just get it :)

Seriously though, a revelation for me - all about low speed maneuvering whether in cramped underground parking lots, shopping malls, needing a super tight u-turn (eradicates the 2 to 3-pt turn :)) - and as others mentioned remarkably sensitive to the point it took me a while to realize why I was messing up backing down my own (tight) driveway - tiny steering wheel movements translate instantly! Just a great feature.

OP
OP

RKZ

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Panamera GTS sold 2023 Taycan 4s Arrived!
Country flag
A fellow STL person!

Looks like you have a Panamera now?

We traded in a Panamera for a Taycan.

It’s not hard to maneuver a “larger” car in STL (many people have giant trucks), and if you’re already used to the Panamera, you find the Taycan better already without RAS.

That doesn’t mean there isn’t an additional benefit to RAS, but I don’t find it necessary in this area.
Yep, you're right, we are in St Louis for close to half the year and will be swapping the Panamera I've had for 7 years for a Taycan. You make a great point about being used to the Panamera may well result in the Taycan being comparatively easier to maneuver without RAS. Moreover, as I bought the Panamera as a CPO, it came without a rear camera so I've grown accustomed to maneuvering it without that helpful feature. I'm so loking forward to having that with the new car.
As someone who lives in St Louis and knows how hot and humid it is here in the summer, I'm wondering what your thoughts might be on the thermally and noise insulated glass. We spend most of our time in SW Florida and my friends down there who have Taycan's all have that option. However, and this is absolutely true, summer in STL is hotter and more humid than Florida. I've never had a car here that didn't have airconditioning sufficient to give a comfortable ride and I don't imagine a new Porsche will be any different. Think its worth considering that insulated glass option? I've driven Taycan's with and without the option and I really can't notice any difference in cabin noise. Someone told me that the insulated glass does cut down on the A/C load and therefore can extend the range. Not sure about that but perhaps?
Sponsored