gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I don’t think that theory is supported by the fact that it’s not an issue in any other car. The Taycan is the only vehicle I’ve had this problem on. And it’s a problem for both my and my wife’s phones. And it 100% goes away if I roll a window down.
I have a metal roof (no pano) and the thermally and noise insulated glass, tint all around including UV film on the windshield, and haven't had any issues with phone reception, even in areas where I know the signal is weak, iPhone 12 AT&T MY22 4S. I keep my phone plugged in and stored in the center console with the built-in wireless charging turned off.
Sponsored

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
thought I would need it, ended up buying a car without it. honestly other people as passengers have commented on the turning radius and how good it is.

if you can afford it in your spec, get it, it's certainly an improvement.

if it helps you save money and buy something more definitive, don't think you'll be missing it too much.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I keep my phone plugged in and stored in the center console with the built-in wireless charging turned off.
I’m not sure if the ‘22 still has it or not, but the ‘21 I have uses some kind of signal booster when stored in that location. I can see my signal increase when the phone is stored there.

I also have an iPhone 12 on ATT and my wife has a 13, with a X before that. Same issue on all 3 phones. Only in that one car. We don’t keep our phones stored there in the console though.

Like I said earlier, I could start/stop a file upload by rolling the window up/down.

Even if there’s only a chance for an issue, I would not get the insulated glass again. It’s not worth it to me.

And actually, I wouldn’t have even gotten it in the first place. My wife spec’d it. So it’s really her fault*.

*Unless she’s reading this. Then it’s my fault. 100%. That other sentence was a joke.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I’m not sure if the ‘22 still has it or not, but the ‘21 I have uses some kind of signal booster when stored in that location. I can see my signal increase when the phone is stored there.

I also have an iPhone 12 on ATT and my wife has a 13, with a X before that. Same issue on all 3 phones. Only in that one car. We don’t keep our phones stored there in the console though.

Like I said earlier, I could start/stop a file upload by rolling the window up/down.

Even if there’s only a chance for an issue, I would not get the insulated glass again. It’s not worth it to me.

And actually, I wouldn’t have even gotten it in the first place. My wife spec’d it. So it’s really her fault*.

*Unless she’s reading this. Then it’s my fault. 100%. That other sentence was a joke.
A number of people do seem to have the same issue, thankfully I don't. I read somewhere that the antenna booster was removed from the charging cradle location for MY22. I'm not sure if they did anything else to help with phone reception on the MY22 cars. If it was an issue for me I would be irritated as well.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I read somewhere that the antenna booster was removed from the charging cradle location for MY22.
I think I heard that also, but wasn’t sure. I figured I’d mention it because I’ve tested the boosting in my car.

OP
OP

RKZ

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Panamera GTS sold 2023 Taycan 4s Arrived!
Country flag
nice to know, and probably little known: the rear axle steering option also includes a more direct steering rack at the front axle (meaning the same angle applied to the steering wheel translates to a greater angle at the front wheels), which translates to a more direct steering behavior in general . this of course adds to RAS' counter-steering of the rear wheels at low speeds and further enhances the car's agility at all speeds.
That is very interesting, thank you. It may just tip me over into ordering this option. Are you involved in Porsche engineering, by any chance?

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
You do have to get used to it. I just slightly curbed my carbon fiber blade rear passenger wheel when turning right into a driveway with a stone curb during heavy traffic when the car turned tighter than one would expect and it got my rear wheels closer to the curb than I had expected. It wasn't bad and didn't get up into the paint or carbon fiber, but I have owned my 911 for 16 years and haven't curbed it once, so pretty disappointing.
I scragged two Aero Blades parallel parking. After I had finished crying I called a guy I know. He couldn't put them on the mobile lathe. Apparently they have to sent of to a special shop for that given the carbon fibre. Instead he could do a 'replication' with paint and build up the damage with paint. The result was stunning and you would never know. It was also dirt cheap. Just mentioning as you'll have guys who can do the replication route where you are. I actually documented it here https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/21-aero-blades-kerb-scraggs-curb-rash-repaired.10874/

LXSC

First Name
GTS Tycoon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S - BMW I8, Soon Cherry Tycan GTS
Country flag
I've searched this forum for quite awhile looking to get some feedback on whether to add this option to my 2023 4S build. Seems that those who have it say they'd add it again if they were to order the car again and those who don't have say they don't miss it. One of the best comments (here or perhaps another forum) said, "When on the highway, it makes the car feel like a long wheelbase car and when turning at slow speeds it makes a long wheelbase car feel like a short wheelbase car. At $1,630 for the option, I'd love to get feedback from any of you who may have put a fair number of miles on Taycans with and without the option. Thanks!

LXSC

First Name
GTS Tycoon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S - BMW I8, Soon Cherry Tycan GTS
Country flag
I've searched this forum for quite awhile looking to get some feedback on whether to add this option to my 2023 4S build. Seems that those who have it say they'd add it again if they were to order the car again and those who don't have say they don't miss it. One of the best comments (here or perhaps another forum) said, "When on the highway, it makes the car feel like a long wheelbase car and when turning at slow speeds it makes a long wheelbase car feel like a short wheelbase car. At $1,630 for the option, I'd love to get feedback from any of you who may have put a fair number of miles on Taycans with and without the option. Thanks!
[/
hanks for starting this Thread - Rear wheel steering.
I ordered it with my GTS to be delivered mid September now. It is on the Vessel!
A long time ago Honda prelude had the rear wheel steering. People who drove really liked it. I expect very good results from Porsche implementation.
I like the description about the long wheelbase and short wheelbase in the same car.
]

OP
OP

RKZ

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Panamera GTS sold 2023 Taycan 4s Arrived!
Country flag
Thanks for all the responses. This thread has been quiet for awhile and perhaps no one cares any more, but for what its worth, I hit my frozen date last week and I DID add the rear axle steering steering option. That decision was due to all of the terrific feedback I received from all of you. Thank you, one and all. Vehicle is supposed to arrive the first week in December. We shall see.

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Thanks for all the responses. This thread has been quiet for awhile and perhaps no one cares any more, but for what its worth, I hit my frozen date last week and I DID add the rear axle steering steering option. That decision was due to all of the terrific feedback I received from all of you. Thank you, one and all. Vehicle is supposed to arrive the first week in December. We shall see.
Me too, what part of country are you in?

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
I’ve got tired of waiting for my 4S and have agreed a deal on a late, high spec RWD (£36k of options in the U.K.), it has RAS. Once I’ve owned the car for a few months I will re-order a new car based on my experience, my chief concern with the RAS is setting the car up after tyre changes etc, it was commented on earlier in this thread but nobody picked up on it. Can anyone comment? We have a lot of pot holes on U.K. roads which may be an issue.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’ve got tired of waiting for my 4S and have agreed a deal on a late, high spec RWD (£36k of options in the U.K.), it has RAS. Once I’ve owned the car for a few months I will re-order a new car based on my experience, my chief concern with the RAS is setting the car up after tyre changes etc, it was commented on earlier in this thread but nobody picked up on it. Can anyone comment? We have a lot of pot holes on U.K. roads which may be an issue.
Not sure I follow your concern.

RAS doesn't introduce any additional setup on tyre changes.

Like any car with TPMS if the rim size / tyre combo changes then you have to update the software. That's about three clicks on the Taycan's PCM.

Never had any issues in 20 months on UK roads so I wouldn't overthink this
Sponsored