SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I have a trip to our HQ driving Sunday afternoon (temps 25/5C at destination) and back Tuesday (temps 16/4C back home) from north Indianapolis to west side of Cleveland. I left my car at the dealer for routine services and begged them to give me a loaner Base Taycan while waiting on my Taycan, still a month away. Have to verify if it has PB or PB+. I did not realize that the next charger is 175 miles away (from point 1 to point 2) [correction: it is 214 miles] and at full it is showing 200 miles at the moment. Will I be ok is the question? [correction: not ok, taking route through Columbus] This is the map of EA chargers with the plan to go from 1 -> 2 -> 3 and then back in reverse order. Surprisingly, no EA stations near Fort Wayne that has a Porsche Dealership, I am sure if I am in a bind and they are still open, they can top me up. I do not know where it is located just yet.

This is the trip map.

Porsche Taycan Ideas for trip planning to work in a loaner 22 Base 1681584333979

This is the beauty of the machine in my driveway, please make it 175 miles to the next charger, Range mode or whatever, no problem.

Porsche Taycan Ideas for trip planning to work in a loaner 22 Base 1681583958562

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Or try to see what the cars planner says.

You might also be able to use the planner on the Porsche web site

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
1. Can EA site in Lafayette, IN, help?
2.Cleveland....Columbus.....Dayton...Indy route has better spacing of EA sites.

OP
OP
SergeyIndy

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1. Can EA site in Lafayette, IN, help?
2.Cleveland....Columbus.....Dayton...Indy route has better spacing of EA sites.
This will totally work via option 2 route. I have a mind of driving my Acura this route, but Indy -> Dayton - Columbus - Cleveland, totally works as I am in no hurry. I just cannot run out of juice. Thank you.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
What you want to do should be relatively safe. Right now my car shows a full charge as 282 miles and with sane highway cruising (70 - 78 mph, but mostly just moving along with traffic) I can seemingly do that. I have not pushed it that far but as I drive the car keeps telling me I could do it. It would help if you knew which battery you have though. If you have been given a loaner it was probably driven a little hard so the range calculation will be low. Check out PlugShare. There are backup options along your route if you need them. Might not be the fastest chargers, and will cost you a relatively minor amount, but you won't get stranded and you said you weren't in a big hurry. Grab a bite and even a 50 or 60kW charger will add significant miles by the time you finish. Half the fun of driving an EV is the planning that range anxiety forces me to do. I've been told other people do not share my perspective.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You can check status of EA sites before and during your trip in these apps: plugshare, EA, and MyPorsche. On the route from Indy to Cleveland via Columbus, I'd suggest stopping at each EA site along the route, even though your car has the range to skip some of them. I prefer to have enough range remaining at a planned EA charging stop to be able to reach the next site in case something goes wrong.

OP
OP
SergeyIndy

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you everyone, I feel much better now and actually this planning is really fun to me.
I have plenty of options going through Columbus including EA and EVgo with very fast chargers available. I will have them mapped out and ready to go:

EA chargers available by distance from home through Dayton/Columbus (below), so I do not think I will have any issues. However, there is no way I can make it through Toledo as I just measured and from home to the first one past Toledo is 214 miles (my 175-mile initial measurement was completely wrong) before getting to the end point at 286 miles.

008 miles (in town)
125 miles (Dayton)
177 miles (Columbus)
246 miles (Mansfield)
310 miles (end point)

I checked the spec and it is just a PB (not a PB+), no AS, but otherwise has the Premium Pack, and Range Manager and just shy of 3,000 miles so brand new. I setup my own profile and using my Porche ID (I have SUVs otherwise) paired to the key. I just drove a 30 min round trip to pick up a pizza for the family, and it drove amazing, did not want to come home that soon :cool: , so really thrilled to drive it to work and back.

One thing I cannot figure out (no Sports Chrono, so no Individual mode) is why on each start it does not save my Recouperation setting (resets to Off) and Sport Sound (resets to Off). I start and set Recouperation to Auto and Sound to On but that does not save. I realize I can use left button to toggle Recouperation and can map the diamonds to the Sport Sound, but these seem like basic options to stay saved.

Last edited:

OP
OP
SergeyIndy

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update: I made it, that is the good news, seeking feedback on the experience, as this was for the learning purpose and I will have to make this route frequently, in my own Taycan.

Plan:
* Use EA stations only, EVgo as backup if stranded.
* Go speed limit (mostly was 70 mph, sometimes 60 mph, went 10 mph over limit in the last hour)
* * Baseline was alternative route going in a regular car that is 4h30m and this one was 5h00m

End Result:
* Charging did not work as expected and added an hour to comparable regular drive, with zero convenience that regular gas stations have (added 30 min to overall total on top of charging as I had to stop at rest stops instead, for example), since EA stations are just out there in the furthest corner of the Wal-Mart. Arrived at destination at 6h00m that included an hour of charging. Loved every minute of it but if things would have worked better or maybe it is just a user error on my part.

Seeking feedback on the following:

Laid out the charging station using Google Maps and EA app as below. As soon as I got in the car at home, the expectation was that I would just type EA station one at a time into the Nav and hit go so it does the pre-heating. Nav did not recognize any as typed based on my notes, it would show others (Indianapolis, Lafayette, etc. the opposite direction of travel) in the format that I am typing such as ELECTRIFY AMERICA Walmart XXXX, but the ones that I entered, had zero results, so wasted time try to enter them by address so I can see what the end SOC will be.

What am I doing wrong? The intent was to select a charger, so the car knows that it is, pre-heats the battery ahead of time, and then displays that you are pointing to the charger. Also, did not find in the menu anywhere Plug-n-Charge but because it is a loaner and not enabled for that, I suppose, as I had to pay for charging in the EA app.

008 miles (in town) - Departed with 80% SOC, showing 180 miles, so did not stop to top up.

125 miles (Dayton) - Estimated was 12% SOC, arrived with 22%, 31 min session, rate was steady at 83kWh the entire time (at Hyper 350kW), so only got me 47kWh ($22.08) to reach 85%, opened EA app on Android phone, it got stuck at Initiating Charge and never came back still (cannot login as it is saying Oops, you do not have internet, try again...), but the charge started which is what mattered and I stopped in manually using stall screen.

177 miles (Columbus) - Skipped that one as I had plenty to get to the next one with 16% SOC estimate.

246 miles (Mansfield) - Got to this one, EA app on Android still cannot login, scrambled to get it installed on my work iPhone, it would login, allow to swipe to start, and charge started, but also started showing the same Oops message but at least stayed logged in. This one was worse, steady rate of about 64kWh (at Hyper 350kW) so for 29 minutes, I only got 33.2kWh ($15.36) and top me up to 65%, but enough to get to the hotel.

310 miles (end point) - arrived at hotel with 22% SOC, with EA point 15 min away and some Shell Recharge station closer, so will figure this out after work tomorrow, before heading back, the day after. I had a similar trip experience in a loaner about a year ago, and Wal-Marts in Indiana (Lafayette and Terra Haute were ripping at hyper speeds, so charging did not take but 15 min).

What can be done to charge faster? Is it worth switching stalls or using a 150kW. Strange thing that the charge stayed constant throughout both sessions, no high rate at the beginning and then tapering off at 50% and then more above 80% as I would be just happy with a rapid speed to 50%, if that was the case. This is 22 Base with PB battery, but 64 kWh on one and 83kWh on the other seems way low, and I was the only one at both locations.

Other quirks that I would like to resolve:

1. Navigation upcoming instruction would appear on the right tube in addition to the center screen. How to turn it off so it is not doing it on the right tube. I tried to figure it out on my own and it would not go away.

2. Left tube showing air pressure and you cannot show anything else and cannot hide it (unless you go simple view all together). The values on the door do not correspond to pressure difference info on that left tube, so which one you go by? Setting type is correct 21 summers but door showing much higher than the difference and Full Load is selected. I ended up letting air out, so it is in between the tube (lower values) and the door (high values), so the tube showing +3 for fronts and +4 for rears as my setting.

3. Drove for 2 hours, wondering why the steering is so stiff that you have to fight it, side to side. Figured out that it is LKA (never had this option before), so when I turned it off, it was what I wanted but the standard steering wheel is so thin and hard, compare to what I am used to on our Macan/Cayenne with both smaller, thicker, softer GT wheels, so I feel like I was grabbing on a rock the whole time, so hands do not feel happy. Mine will have GT wheel with SC so not worried about that.

4. Things others reported that are bothersome to many were totally fine by me: B-Pillar too forward, Trunk opening is odd, Climate controls are touch base (for sure our Cayenne/Macan physical switches are better and new 2024 Cayenne retains them) but I realize they wanted all screens and let drivers use voice to make those adjustments.

5. Connected Android Auto but could not figure out how it really works together with the Nav or Planner as I have never used it before. The purpose for me would be to have all my chargers saved in Google Maps and when Google Maps appears on the Center screen just select them, and Planner picks it up and Nav knows it is a charger. This is for another day to figure out.

6. The driving experience was just as amazing as I remember a year ago. However, this time, no one was looking my way, as I guess it blends in too much in white with standard pano roof, even had the Glacier text on the rear but that does not light up, so it does not pop as you drive for others. A few people near Wal-Marts in ID4s were waving and were really friendly.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Update: I made it, that is the good news, seeking feedback on the experience, as this was for the learning purpose and I will have to make this route frequently, in my own Taycan.

Laid out the charging station using Google Maps and EA app as below. As soon as I got in the car at home, the expectation was that I would just type EA station one at a time into the Nav and hit go so it does the pre-heating. Nav did not recognize any as typed based on my notes, it would show others (Indianapolis, Lafayette, etc. the opposite direction of travel) in the format that I am typing such as ELECTRIFY AMERICA Walmart XXXX, but the ones that I entered, had zero results, so wasted time try to enter them by address so I can see what the end SOC will be.

What am I doing wrong? The intent was to select a charger, so the car knows that it is, pre-heats the battery ahead of time, and then displays that you are pointing to the charger.
It takes a while to get familiar with nav unit.
A couple of ways to enter charging stops in nav unit after you have planned which ones to use:
1. Find it with voice control command: "Take me to Electrify America Charging in Manchester, Ohio".
Save the charging site as a favorite. (Ensure that what you save is the charging site with kw listed, not the Walmart location.)
2. Move the nav map display to the area/city of the EA charging site, when the rectangle showing number of available stations pops up, select it. (May have to zoom in a bit to find it.) Save the site as a favorite.
3. Doing text searches typed in nav unit for charging locations is difficult because of naming variations.

Saving the charging locations as nav unit favorites and selecting them as destinations during the trip is one way.

Another way is to add all planned charging locations as stopovers in a route:
Enter your final destination in nav unit.
Enter the last/furthest charging location (stored as favorite) as stopover.
Enter the next to last charging location as stopover, etc.
Continue until all charging locations are entered.

Another way is to enter final destination and let nav unit plan charging stops. Adjust the nav suggested stops per your plan, using "route overview" nav option.

You made a 300-mile road trip in a loaner Taycan. You didn't do anything wrong. Congrats.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SergeyIndy

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you @Tooney, very helpful and I am getting better at the Nav part.

Update: Decided to see if my 3rd charging experience would be any better. Ran out during lunch to the EA station, and this one was only pulling 54kWh speed on the 350kWh stall, so took 55 min to go from 10% to 75% with 50kWh totally delivered.

However, I discovered (after the charge was over) that if I go under the Battery tile and get to the 3-dot screen settings, my Plug and Charge was not enabled and Optimized charging was enabled. How I did not figure this out in the first place, that this is what may be throttling down the charging as steady state at the same rate seems odd at every charge stop using 350kWh stall and no one else charging at the entire charge station.

Next: I will go back there again and try again to see if the change to those 2 settings makes any impact on charge speeds, or I have to be spending an hour charging every time driving back.

OP
OP
SergeyIndy

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update: went back after disabling Optimized charging. PlugnCharge does not matter as it is a loaner. Polstar took the 350kw and banging at 113kw, where I was getting only 58kw, plugged into a 150kw, and only getting 53kw, I guess will be awhile. What gives?

The strange thing is that the rate is constant, at every EA I stopped, like 52.5kW now.
Expected to be on the charge curve.

Appreciate the help figuring this one out. Need to get home tomorrow on 300 mile trip without charging for hours.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Feels like battery is not on temperature? Should be 35-40C and soc in single digits if I recall correctly.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
For preconditioning to work you must select a high power charger from the drop down in the Nav app. Typing in an address will not work. When you open Nav app select the charger ICON and select the charger you are headed to. The list can be frustrating. Not sure if there is an easy way to get to the one you want. Hope this helps.
Check this YouTube vid: at 2 min mork.
Sponsored